Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
JCPepper

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback Automatic
Rough running, idling, and shifting issue. Please help!

Hi all, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with my problem(s).

Car:
  • '08 Yaris,
  • 2 door hatch,
  • Automatic transmission,
  • 200,000 miles on odometer.

Description of problems:

For several months, the car had been idling rough if the air conditioning was on. It then would become worse when the (radiator)fan kicked on.

Then, a couple months ago the check engine light started coming on sometimes. The code was P0505 (IAC System problem). It would usually go off overnight or after I drove around a while.

Yesterday it started idling really rough and would stall at idle. It became really hard to restart. The check engine light came on but I didn't have the code read.
  • I replace the air filter.
  • I sprayed off the MAF sensor with carb cleaner.
  • I put a bottle of Gumout Multi-Symptom gas treatment in the tank. Full 16ounce bottle for 11 gallon tank. (for possible injector issues)

It was still hard to start and the engine light was still on. I decided to take it on the freeway to start working the Gumout through the injectors.

Now, it seemed like it was much worse. It was sluggish on the on-ramp and when I put the pedal down to put it into passing gear the transmission would shift erratically. I pulled into a lot and disconnected the battery, I thought this may have some positive affect on the ECU. The car would not restart.

I looked on my phone and read that a bad Mass Airflow sensor could cause the shifting problem. I walked to AutoZone, and bought a new one. I thought I may have ruined the one I had by cleaning it.

I was then able restart the car, but it was still hard to start. It was still running poorly and the shifting problem was still there. I managed to get it home...once it was cruising it ran OK in the freeway.

What I will try next:
  • Clean the throttle body. I did not do this right away because the hose to the air filter box is brittle and it will break if I try to take it completely off. It does look like there is a bit of carbon on the butterfly at the top and bottom, but I can't imagine this is the sole problem causing all of this.
  • Look for a PCV valve to clean.
  • Check for vacuum leaks.

I believe I am looking at multiple points of failure. Maybe if I had cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body back when it was just idling a bit rough that would have fixed that...then this thing about the bad shifting in conjunction with the rough idle would have shown itself to be a completely separate problem.

So a couple questions for anyone who can give me reasonable feed back:
  • Does anyone think the Gumout treatment could cause problems like this? The worst of it coincidentally started right after I put it in.
  • Right now the engine light is not lit, but what other sensors, valves, vacuum lines can I check or clean?
  • What are the chances of this being the ECU itself? If this is the problem what is the cheapest way to replace it?

Again, thank you for any advise you can give! This car is my livelihood. I am a delivery person. So I am unemployed until I figure this out.

-JC
JCPepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine help, rough idle, sensors, shift, stalling