Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2022, 07:14 AM   #1
Martin Bruce
Martinios

Drives: Toyota Yaris MK2 1.3 T3 2006
BUDGET ODB-II CODE READER

Rather than go to the local Garage / Shop again, who charged me £30 to read the fault codes, I decided to buy my own cheapie OBD-II connector and use an app on my Android smartphone. The Garage tried to scare me off getting an adaptor when I mentioned it by saying they knew a customer who had blew his ECU up using his own one.

Still, I got a KONNWEI KW902 OBD2 BLUETOOTH ADAPTOR off eBAY, China for about £15 , it took a few days to arrive.

Some might prefer a more pricey professional OBD2 Adaptor, where the firmware is written/ installed by a well-known maker.

I downloaded the 'Torque' Engine Management App (available on Google Play).
Connecting the app with the Adaptor is a bit hit and miss, somtimes takes 2 or 3 presses of the button on the adaptor, using Bluetooth, but does work.

I was able to read the fault codes and save them to a log file, and even clear them from the ECU. I carry the adaptor in the Yaris now, just in case.

Old 12-14-2022, 07:41 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
looks like a shit knockoff of "obdlink" which is a GREAT unit
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:24 AM   #3
Martin Bruce
Martinios

Drives: Toyota Yaris MK2 1.3 T3 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
looks like a shit knockoff of "obdlink" which is a GREAT unit
They look very similar. I know OBDLink do their own firmware and apps.
Konnwei have been around since 1998 according to their website.

I got some advice before buying here:

https://canze.fisch.lu/elm327/

One thing I noticed is the Konnwei is a tight fit in the Yaris OBD socket, so I smeared some silicone oil on the mating plastic moulding (not the electrics). It does work though.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:55 AM   #4
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
I actually put in one permantly in my car. I made a bracket and used silicon to glue it to steering wheel cover thing in front of the wheel.

It allows you to have speedo right at the wheel and also has temp guage and all other OB2 information including dault code reading and clearing. Even has acceleration and braking tests and alarms for engine temp/oil pressure etc.

Its got a small screen but does everything you need, had mine installed for about a year. It has a slight lag in speed of about half a sec, but its perfect to see your average speed and water temp and it even shows how many litres of fuel you have before reserve.

My cars runs at exactly 83c no master what external temp is.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=7Fc0qP3Az9QU

There are many style like this one, but after looking at price for fucntion I got this one as it had the best easy to read speedo display and that was the main thing i wanted. I got it on special for $40 nz this is listed a bit higher so shop around for a style of ob2 gauge you like if you want a permnant one for speedo like me :)
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote