Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
5speed
I've made a post!

Drives: 5speed
Looking at buying a new Yaris.

I'm in the market for a new Yaris. I want a manual so my choice is a 3 door L or 5 door SE. Not sure which one would be the best to go with. I like the look of both. My question is the SE worth the extra money? Thank you for any help you may give me in choosing between the two.
5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
I'm in the market for a new Yaris. I want a manual so my choice is a 3 door L or 5 door SE. Not sure which one would be the best to go with. I like the look of both. My question is the SE worth the extra money? Thank you for any help you may give me in choosing between the two.
Personally, the SE was the only way to go for me, and I love it. I really don't like the 90's stock headlights (& lack of fog lights, LED DRYL, rear spoiler) on the L/LE, nor the skinny tires and 15" wheels. By the time I spent the money on a L/LE to make it acceptable to me, it would have cost as much or more than an SE - and still had less overall refinement/extras (smaller front disc brakes, rear drum, downgraded interior, less desirable (but easier to clean!) front grill design, etc.). I feel that the SE gives me the most bang (and enjoyment) for the buck. I also personally prefer the profile/look of the 5-door version over the 3-door version - but that's just me.

I even went through the headache of buying out-of-state and paying an extra $500 in shipping charges, in order to get a manual 5-speed version sent to me. Arizona dealers stopped stocking any manual Yaris after the 2014 model year.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
I'd say it depends on if you find value/utility in the extra features you get on the SE. For me, the SE would've been a waste of money as I didn't really care about the extra features. But, those features may be of value to you.

Either way, you'll be getting a great, reliable car!!
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
IMO, the biggest factor you are looking at here is the number of doors. Personally, I'd place a high level of value on 2 extra doors. There are those who believe 5 door models are the scourge of the earth, but I couldn't live without the 2 in the rear.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Fog lights are a necessity for my tastes, so the 15 SE is what I went with. You also get larger tires. And I personally like the rims on the SE. I wouldn't have been happy with an L or LE. This car WILL NOT be traded in. I will either keep it or give it to my mother when I purchase a new Tacoma after nursing school. That's a few years down the road. Made the mistake of trading in my 11 Yaris. Won't happen again.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
And I think a 5 door is much more practical. Had a 3 door on my 11. I don't haul a lot of people, but when I did, it was a pain in the butt with 3 doors. Also I often put things in my backseat. So the 5 door option works better for me.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:07 AM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I'll echo what others have said, it all depends on YOUR needs and wants. For me the SE model was a better fit. I liked the upgraded brakes, suspension and wheel/tire combo. I liked the exterior styling better, spoiler, fog lights. I liked that the SE had cruise control while the L did not. I do prefer the look of a 3 door but after coming from a 3 door Golf I learned to value the practicality of a 5 door more. So for me the SE was the perfect package.

As far as your desire for a manual transmission be aware that you will probably have more difficulty finding a 5-speed SE than a 5-speed L. I do not say this from personal experience (my car is an auto) but it seems to be a common complaint here on Yarisworld from others who were looking for manuals.

Good luck with your search. The Yaris is a great car. I'm sure you will come to the same conclusion yourself if you should purchase one.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
As far as your desire for a manual transmission be aware that you will probably have more difficulty finding a 5-speed SE than a 5-speed L. I do not say this from personal experience (my car is an auto) but it seems to be a common complaint here on Yarisworld from others who were looking for manuals.
This is true, especially if you want a certain color. When I purchased my manual SE back in July/Aug (from another state), there were only TWO white SE Yaris in the entire USA available. Including all the colors, there was still less than a dozen in the entire USA available. Prepare to buy out-of-state, unless you are really lucky.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
This is true, especially if you want a certain color. When I purchased my manual SE back in July/Aug (from another state), there were only TWO white SE Yaris in the entire USA available. Including all the colors, there was still less than a dozen in the entire USA available. Prepare to buy out-of-state, unless you are really lucky.
To put a positive spin on the lack of Yaris for sale at dealerships, at least you will be driving a unique car that you don't see very often on the road (depending upon where you live I guess) once you buy one.

I've seen a total of THREE 2015 SE's on the road here in Phoenix since they launched a year ago, and only a handful more than that of the L/LE versions. I don't see any Yaris that often, but most of the ones that I do see are original 2007-2011 models (HB & Sedan), and 2012-2014 versions to a somewhat lesser degree.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
To put a positive spin on the lack of Yaris for sale at dealerships, at least you will be driving a unique car that you don't see very often on the road (depending upon where you live I guess) once you buy one.

I've seen a total of THREE 2015 SE's on the road here in Phoenix since they launched a year ago, and only a handful more than that of the L/LE versions. I don't see any Yaris that often, but most of the ones that I do see are original 2007-2011 models (HB & Sedan), and 2012-2014 versions to a lesser degree.
I've gotten more compliments and comments on my Yaris than I can count. It's been one of the more enjoyable aspects of owning this car. Yes, it's shallow, but I can't help it if the reward center in my monkey brain feels good about it.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I've gotten more compliments and comments on my Yaris than I can count. It's been one of the more enjoyable aspects of owning this car. Yes, it's shallow, but I can't help it if the reward center in my monkey brain feels good about it.