Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
ejaf

Drives: 09 5MT
Going to Dealer, questions on options.

Hey there...thanks to all for the posts so far, very informative.

I'm going to be going to the dealer in my area next week, in order to get a 5MT sedan, but have a couple of questions on options.

The ones in my area in 5MT are usually shipped with the PQ (Conv. w/steel wheels), CF (floor mats), and KE (keyless entry).

Searching on here, I will probably go with that, since it looks like I can score rims from somewhere else, rather than the dealer, so I can live with the setup above.

Only two questions...I hear that the car will handle much better with the TRD Swaybar (option HR), and I would rather have a factory installed alarm (option PN).

Anyone have any experience with these two (ie. whether PN can be added at the dealership, and HR aftermarket perhaps).

Any feedback appreciated. Of course, the color I want is hard to come by (Pac. Blue), but I don't know whether I want to wait 8-10 weeks for delivery from Japan.
Which begs another answer from you all. If you have "special ordered" from the factory, what was your wait time?

Thanks much...already have some upgrade ideas from this forum I can't wait to do ;)

Eric
ejaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
Hey there...thanks to all for the posts so far, very informative.

I'm going to be going to the dealer in my area next week, in order to get a 5MT sedan, but have a couple of questions on options.

The ones in my area in 5MT are usually shipped with the PQ (Conv. w/steel wheels), CF (floor mats), and KE (keyless entry).

Searching on here, I will probably go with that, since it looks like I can score rims from somewhere else, rather than the dealer, so I can live with the setup above.

Only two questions...I hear that the car will handle much better with the TRD Swaybar (option HR), and I would rather have a factory installed alarm (option PN).

Anyone have any experience with these two (ie. whether PN can be added at the dealership, and HR aftermarket perhaps).

Any feedback appreciated. Of course, the color I want is hard to come by (Pac. Blue), but I don't know whether I want to wait 8-10 weeks for delivery from Japan.
Which begs another answer from you all. If you have "special ordered" from the factory, what was your wait time?

Thanks much...already have some upgrade ideas from this forum I can't wait to do ;)

Eric

By 5MT do you mean 5 speed Manual trans? Also, there is no such thing as a "special order."
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I believe keyless entry from Toyota is only available with the power package. The convenience package does not include power locks, etc.

I waited and searched for the color I wanted. They found me one and it took about 10 days to arrive. Of course it was already on the boat from Japan. Not sure about the "special order" thing as I wanted a manual. They never even indicated I could "order" one. They just said there were none available so I settled for the auto with the power package and alloys for the manual price.

Don't settle though. Find the one you want or you may always regret it. Auto may have been the better choice for me after all, but I sure envy the fun factor of all the guys with the manuals. I did get my color though and lots of extras to boot.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
ejaf

Thanks for the input...

The sales guy over the phone said they he could "order" me one from Japan, and it would take 8-10 weeks.

Sounds like it's not true...good to know. Sorry, 5MT is 5 speed manual.

Yes Keyless entry is only available with the PQ or PP option, which I will be getting (PP with alloys, PQ with steel).

Still wondering about the PN option (Alarm system, requires power package, includes engine immobilizer), and the swaybar. Will scour the other forums for more info about the swaybar options, I guess.

Eric
Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
The swaybar is really easy to install (from what I've seen). Unless the dealer is willing to add it (and install it) for free, your better off buying it seperately and doing the install yourself.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
Thanks for the input...

The sales guy over the phone said they he could "order" me one from Japan, and it would take 8-10 weeks.

Sounds like it's not true...good to know. Sorry, 5MT is 5 speed manual.

Yes Keyless entry is only available with the PQ or PP option, which I will be getting (PP with alloys, PQ with steel).

Still wondering about the PN option (Alarm system, requires power package, includes engine immobilizer), and the swaybar. Will scour the other forums for more info about the swaybar options, I guess.

Eric
Your dealership will not contact Japan. The only people they talk to is your local Distributor. They will do what is called a perference order. Toyota already has determined which Yaris's they will send to your distributor. Your dealer can only pick from those that the distributor has. For example, some distributors do not get certain colors or certain options.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
ejaf

Ah...thanks...a 'preference' order. Interesting, and good ammo for me.
Boy, I'd love to see what the distributor in my area gets beforehand.

If I do put in a preference order, is that what's going to take 8-10 weeks, and longer if they don't have the color with the options I want going to that specific distributor? Wonder how he could even quote me 8-1- weeks?

Thanks for the swaybar tip...I hadn't searched, but if it's not a hard job, I can probably even swing it myself.

E
Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
PreciousPups4U

I would say request color and transmission and be flexible on options or if color in more flexible then maybe they can search by options. They will try to get as close as possible to what is the most important to you.

I wanted Bayou Blue, manual, power package, keyless and fogs.

They found Bayou Blue, auto, power package w/ alloys, keyless, fogs, mats and added cruise.

I decided the other stuff was more important than transmission. I really wanted those sliding fold flat 60/40 seats that only come with the power package. It worked out fine for me. Figure out what is a must have and go from there. The more flexible you are the sooner they can get you one.

With a bit of flexibility I am sure it won't take 8 weeks. Maybe there's something in route to your area already that is close enough to what you are looking for. Mine was already on the ship headed for Jacksonville so it only to about 9 - 10 days.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

Old 10-31-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Yarice

Drives: 2008 LB Meteoric Metallic
TRD stuff is cool, but there overpriced and the dearlships charges an arm and a leg for installation too. I was quoted 600 just to install TRD springs so I went with Tanabe springs and a wheel alignment for about $150 bucks. Aftermarket stuff are just as good or even better, just be aware of the waranty issue, if the aftermarket part is the causes damages to you vehicle it voids ur waranty or you have to pay outta pocket to get ur car repaired.
Yarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
ejaf

Thanks for all the input so far, you guys have been great...

Only one question remains...tried to search for it, but didn't get exact matches.

The Factory Installed Alarm (PN). If my reading is correct, it looks as if the dealer (or somebody with electrical experience) could install it, but all he mentioned was "aftermarket" ones. Anyone have experience regarding that option in particular?
Old 11-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
PreciousPups4U

There are several people on here who have added alarms. Check under the "In Car Entertainment" Section and I am sure there are several threads on it. Viper seems to be a popular one. I am sure one can be installed by the dealership as well.

Not really worth it to me, but to each their own. Guess it depends on your wants and where you live.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
ejaf

Understood...

My feeling is if a pro wants your car, they're going to get it, but maybe technology has evolved from the last time I cared

Th PN option, however, has an "engine immobilizer", which would probably stop joyrides. Enough talk about this however, what I really want to know is if option PN can be installed by the dealer, or at the factory.

I browsed through the 2007 maintenance manual I found on this site, and it "looks" as if it just might be a programming issue, "if" I already have the keyless entry, but that's really my question.

I guess I'll just find the closest match, and then take it from there. Hopefully I will be able to update my signature with a real Yaris soon.
Of course, the dealer I spoke to over the phone said that the color I want (Pac blue), is the "hottest color", but i'll settle for a Flint Mica. One of those, but I can drive an auto...no offense, but I have never driven one, even when I got my last car, I couldn't get it new, because it is no longer available with manual (picked up a used 2004 CR-V instead).

Thanks all...E

E
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
b_hickman11

I did a perference order on my 08 and it toke exactly 4 weeks for it to come it. It came in exactly like I wanted it: Flint Mica, Auto, Sedan, power package, floor mats and the Vehicle Shield package(which GST installs on all of its vehicles.) It's like playing the lotto. Its all about percentages. A certain % will be 3 dr, sedan, or 5 dr. A certain % will be AT or MT. A certain % will be Flint, Black, White, etc. If you are wanting one that is in one of the high % catagories than you are looking at maybe 4 weeks. But if you are wanting one that is in a low catagory(for example an "S" model), then you are going to have to wait longer. The more flexible you are the faster you will get it. The more picky you are, the longer it will take.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
ejaf

sounds like life

Thanks
Old 11-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #15
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Man we totally get screwed up here in Wa. I've only seen 3 colors, and only base models are offered. No S models anywhere.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #16
Yarice

Hmmm, I got my alarm when I bought my Yaris as an opton, the brand was Karr I think, All the models here have a slot right near ur knees and the dealer will ask u it u want the alarm installed, you dont have to get it right away, the alarm system is already there but when ever your ready they will activated it, it takes like 1 min to install the activator and program it. I know they offer it at my dealership at lease.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #17
Yarice

sorry for the phone pix, it was dark
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #18
ejaf

great news...thanks!