Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Custom Wiring Harnesses...any ideas?

Well I am going to begin with my adventure in attempting to perform a motor swap in my S in the spring. The question I have at this point is does anyone know of a wire harness fabricator out there that does custom jobs like would be needed to swap in a different motor?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Painless Wiring has been known to do custom kits in the past, you may want to talk to a tuner garage that specializes in Toyotas though, that might be your best bet.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Wiring work is very very very time consuming and therefor costly. Its not difficult though. You best bet would be to get the entire wiring harness and ECU from the donor car and try to integrate the donor engine harness into the Yaris' body harness. You have to take into account things like the a/c controls and the gauge cluster. Basically anything in the interior that interacts with anything in the engine bay. If you are using a motor from a car that runs the same type of ECU things will probably be smoother.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I wanted to hold off on dropping this info until I figured it all out but apparently the 2zz engine is a direct bolt it with very few mods required, one being a front motor mount and obviously the wiring. I had a website for a shop in the US that does these swaps between corollas, camry's etc on a regular basis and understand and know exactly whats involved with the wiring harness - unfortunately I either have the link at home or erased it from explorer (looks like Ill have some searching to do). All I do know for sure is you have to have to whole harness from the donor car including ECU. Ive seen engines from the Celica, Matrix, Corolla and even the Pontiac Vibe used in these swaps. Try a google search for 2zz-xx engine swaps. Just curious but what engine are you swapping in? If I can find a donor car cheap enough next year I will try this swap rather than going FI on the stock Yaris. Post up details where you can. Im going to try and find that link...
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
I wanted to hold off on dropping this info until I figured it all out but apparently the 2zz engine is a direct bolt it with very few mods required, one being a front motor mount and obviously the wiring. I had a website for a shop in the US that does these swaps between corollas, camry's etc on a regular basis and understand and know exactly whats involved with the wiring harness - unfortunately I either have the link at home or erased it from explorer (looks like Ill have some searching to do). All I do know for sure is you have to have to whole harness from the donor car including ECU. Ive seen engines from the Celica, Matrix, Corolla and even the Pontiac Vibe used in these swaps. Try a google search for 2zz-xx engine swaps. Just curious but what engine are you swapping in? If I can find a donor car cheap enough next year I will try this swap rather than going FI on the stock Yaris. Post up details where you can. Im going to try and find that link...
there was a car at sema, yaris sedan with the 2zz engine swap, use google type yaris sedan, sema, engine swap....
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
nick1983

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan
I want the engine you have now.
nick1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:
I looked into this as well, it works, but a little costly. I decided to put the time and money into a built 1.5 with FI. It ends up being about the same for me as I built it myself. It now has the potential for much more than the 2zz.
Just a thought.
But the swap would be a great jump for the Yaris as the power to weight ratio is still quite good.
My 2 cents.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
mikeukrainetz

nice! I think its advertised (the 2zz) as 100lbs over stock and 80% more hp at base level. but dont quote me on that.

did you / are you using parts advertised for the xb?

I need to do a lot more research / measuring to even begin. Right now Im working on a ford 302 so Im putting all my time/money into that over winter.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
paultyler_82

well, I do know the 2ZZ-GE is capable of a baseline of 180 hp, and that's not counting forced induction, or a 2.0L stroker kit that two different companies make for that engine.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
The 2ZZ-GE is a nice engine, but keep in mind it's a high-revving VVTi-L design, you really need to push it hard to get the power out, so there's not going to be a whole lot of torque down low, kinda like a Honda VTEC engine. If you're into that sort of thing then no problem, but myself I prefer a strong pull from the bottom end, even if the top HP numbers are a little lower...

Which leads me to ask.... Is there any way a 3S-GE (or GTE ) could fit in our cars?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:13 PM   #11
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:
nice! I think its advertised (the 2zz) as 100lbs over stock and 80% more hp at base level. but dont quote me on that.

did you / are you using parts advertised for the xb?

I need to do a lot more research / measuring to even begin. Right now Im working on a ford 302 so Im putting all my time/money into that over winter.
Yes, I started with a used 1.5l. Had rods and pistons made for 9.5:1 compression. Working on head porting now.
Bottom line is I Want as much efficiency as possible. At 8 psi it will give me all the power I want out of the car.
Yeah I hear ya on the 302. I am also working on a buddies roll cage this weekend, and drop in his built 302.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:12 AM   #12
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Which leads me to ask.... Is there any way a 3S-GE (or GTE ) could fit in our cars?
I'm afraid that might be an EXTREMELY difficult fit if you could even manage to shoehorn one in, maybe with some heavy cutting and fabrication, after all, one psychopath managed to fit a Hemi and RWD tranny in a PT Cruiser... that's just 9 kinds of wrong there.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82 View Post
I'm afraid that might be an EXTREMELY difficult fit if you could even manage to shoehorn one in, maybe with some heavy cutting and fabrication, after all, one psychopath managed to fit a Hemi and RWD tranny in a PT Cruiser... that's just 9 kinds of wrong there.
Hmm but even the 2ZZ is not a simple drop-in replacement, the TRD workshop here can do it, but it takes about a month, as they need to redo a lot of the engine bay.

There are also people working on a RWD yaris with swapped engine, somewhere around here, called Project Sideways.. that would be badass... Too bad they're not going all out crazy and putting in a 2JZ

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-15-2006, 12:19 AM   #14
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Hmm but even the 2ZZ is not a simple drop-in replacement, the TRD workshop here can do it, but it takes about a month, as they need to redo a lot of the engine bay.

There are also people working on a RWD yaris with swapped engine, somewhere around here, called Project Sideways.. that would be badass... Too bad they're not going all out crazy and putting in a 2JZ
good lord... you'd probably have to lengthen the front to fit a 2JZ... hmm, I was looking at a Passat W8 the other day though, and despite the obvious obstacles... I think the W8 engine would actually fit in the Yaris's engine bay... tight fit, but it seems like it would, now that's a scary thought... 8cyl Yaris.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82 View Post
good lord... you'd probably have to lengthen the front to fit a 2JZ... hmm, I was looking at a Passat W8 the other day though, and despite the obvious obstacles... I think the W8 engine would actually fit in the Yaris's engine bay... tight fit, but it seems like it would, now that's a scary thought... 8cyl Yaris.
+ if anyone pulls that off...

But more realistically, does Toyota actually make a good high performance V6 engine for RWD application?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #16
mikeukrainetz

look at lexus. v6 and v8 with relatively small block dimensions.

edit+ also the TRD sport pickups as well.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #17
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I am in a toss up between the 1zz and the 2zz. The 1 has a better low end however when you look at it that motor only offers 140hp. I have a line to pick up a Vibe with under 30k miles on it for around 3200. After the work I would think that I might be sitting around 5k in cost. Seeing as how that is about the same as what I would spend to go turbo or S/C for a good setup to me it is a no brainer as the 2zz has the base as it has already been mentioned of 180hp. That would allow me to sit in a sweet spot where I can get a lot more out of the car with even the 180, but also have the option down the road if I get a wild hair up my ass to go with modding the 2zz. Right now is the time of the year anyway to try to get a donor car because they are relatively cheaper during the winter because the auctions have a tough time dumping vehicles.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #18
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I am in a toss up between the 1zz and the 2zz. The 1 has a better low end however when you look at it that motor only offers 140hp. I have a line to pick up a Vibe with under 30k miles on it for around 3200. After the work I would think that I might be sitting around 5k in cost. Seeing as how that is about the same as what I would spend to go turbo or S/C for a good setup to me it is a no brainer as the 2zz has the base as it has already been mentioned of 180hp. That would allow me to sit in a sweet spot where I can get a lot more out of the car with even the 180, but also have the option down the road if I get a wild hair up my ass to go with modding the 2zz. Right now is the time of the year anyway to try to get a donor car because they are relatively cheaper during the winter because the auctions have a tough time dumping vehicles.
2ZZ-GE, all the way, the head is much more performance oriented than the lowly 1ZZ-FE, which, by my sources actually only makes 110 hp, not 140. In any case, for spirited driving please for the love of god, replace the crappy stock oil pan with the Moroso unit