Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
Good Price?

Hello all,

I'm in the midst of pricing out a Yaris for purchase in the near future. I live in South Florida, so it's all Southeastern Toyota stuff down here.

Here's what I'm looking for:
Automatic Sedan
- Power Package
- Side Airbags

So far I've found 2 options.

1) Costco - One of the delaerships down here is offering $200 over invoice on any Yaris. There is a catch so far, and it seems that they're "padding" their invoice price. For instance, edmunds lists the car I want as being at $14,880 and this guy on the phone told me their invoice was $15,350, meaning the end price would be $15,550. Seems a little goofy, because the 1st time I went to a dealership, non costco affiliated, they went down from a convenience package of $14,096 to $13,500 w/o me really having to haggle too much.

2) Another dealership, about 3 hours away, is offering $15,252 and change.

I would also qualify for Toyota's $400 graduate discount, so the latter price would be $14,852.

How does this look for you folks out there who have purchased something similar?

Thanks!
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
1) You can go onto the Costco website and calculate what the invoice price should be. If the dealer is padding it, complain to Costco.

2) You have to go through the Costco process to get the Costco price - meaning you need to "apply" on their website to have the participating Toyota dealer in your area to contact. That means it is is logged in as a Costco deal - by Costco - and the dealer is expected to follow the Costco rules.

Doesn't mean you can't try to get a better deal elsewhere, and if you have the time, go for it.

We bought both a 4Runner and yaris via the Costco route this year and my sister just took delivery of her Yaris LB via a Costco deal today.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
Sorry, I thought by mentioning the Costco deal I was inferring that I had gone through the website and referral process. Yes, the online Costco pricing confirms the problem along with all the other Invoice research I've done. Just curious, what was the Costco price relative to Invoice and MSRP for your sister's LB?

mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
I just wanted to let folks know it was a formal process.

While our 4Runner was a formal request, our Yaris (2 months later) was not. I realized later that it allowed the Fleet Mgr to flip from $500 over invoice to $500 under MSRP. [He delivered a loaded, stick-shift liftback in about 3 weeks for $500 under MSRP, so I had no complaints, and if he earned a couple of hundred extra, he deserved it. The optional items have are about 20% spread between Invoice & MSRP vs. something like 10% on the basic vehicle.]

As for my sister, I don't know the particulars. I have policy of pointing her, and others, in the right direction and then letting them work out the details to their satisfaction. She is very happy with the deal and the dealer. She had a trade-in, and had researched it's value, so she had her eyes open going in.