Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
DIY: Hatch Popper using Scion IQ Hatch Handle (2006-2011 Liftback)

IQ Handle Painted.jpg

I have been meaning to add a hatch popping mechanism to my Yaris since the day I installed my remote starter (which has a trunk popper output) the weekend after I purchased the car in October 2008. With this DIY, I have finally gotten around to it...

A huge thank you is owed to enviri on this one. He has been talking to me about wanting to implement the JDM Vitz electronic push button hatch handle for over 2 years now. The problem was that the handles are over $200 (if you can even track one down from overseas).

Recently he had the opportunity to kick the tires on an IQ and immediately noticed that it had a similar electronic hatch handle. He inquired on the
price and found out that they are under $100 (because they are purely a switch, whereas the JDM vitz ones have the receiver for the smart key built in). So, he ordered one and brought it to me to experiment with.

I pulled apart my hatch and found that the IQ hatch handle was not just similar, but rather fit the recess in our hatch perfectly. I experimented with the switch, an aftermarket door actuator, and some logic for disabling it when the doors are locked and PMed him to order another switch, since I decided to steal the one that he brought by.

The Scion IQ switch (69209-74010-xx) comes in 10 colors (A0=070, B0=1F7, B1=1G3, C0=209, D0=3P0, E0=4T3, E1=4R8, J0=8R3, J1=8T7 and K0=9AH) only a couple of which match Yaris colors, so I had to paint mine (with blazing blue 8T0 from automotivetouchup.com).

Here's a video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiM2vZrdA4o

And, here's my DIY on how to do it:
2006-2011 Yaris Hatch Popper DIY.pdf

I developed the little interface module in the DIY to handle the logic for disabling the hatch handle switch when the doors are locked. One may ask "why can't I just use a relay for that?", and the answer is that the lock/unlock signal is not a constant signal, but rather just a pulsed signal that reverses polarity. So, a bit more than just relay was required.

If anyone is interested, I can make them a module for $25 shipped to the US or Canada or can supply the complete kit (minus the IQ switch, which can be ordered from your local dealer or an online OEM parts source) for $100 shipped.

As a side note, in the video you will notice that my hatch pops completely open when I hit my remote starter's trunk pop switch. Your mileage may vary on that one, as the door thrusters just open the hatch a couple of inches, and the rest of the opening is up to the gas struts. So, if your struts are in good shape your hatch will probably pop all of the way open (at least on non-cold days), but if they are tired, or the temperature is low they will most likely not finish the job.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Awesome. Just need to get paid, save up some money, get a security kit, and I'm totally in on doing this. Fantastic job Mr. Scott!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
very good idea, love to have this but it seems too complicated to do myself, lol!
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
yaris4062007

Drives: 07 BB yaris / 06 Mustang Gt
Nice
yaris4062007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
you can make the trunk pop open like the VDUBs using a 1/2" diameter, 1 1/2-2" length compression spring wrapped around the base of the strut.

BTW: it now takes one push of the button to unlock the trunk instead of having to hit it multiple times. Great quality of life improvement :P

it looks SOOO much cleaner than the ugly most likely dirty as hell keyhole (get it!)

Last edited by enviri; 09-24-2012 at 08:40 PM.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
SWEET. Great job guys.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Can we have both optional feature (remote popping and switch inside car) on the violet wire together?
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
Can we have both optional feature (remote popping and switch inside car) on the violet wire together?
Yes.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
ohiostate0924

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Hello @CTScott, I know this post is a couple years old almost but do you still offer the Module for $25.00 ?? And what is the price for the complete kit....I am really wanting to do this to my 2008 Yaris HB....Thanks so much and hope Im not to late...LOL....

Regards
Darin
ohiostate0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiostate0924 View Post
Hello @CTScott, I know this post is a couple years old almost but do you still offer the Module for $25.00 ?? And what is the price for the complete kit....I am really wanting to do this to my 2008 Yaris HB....Thanks so much and hope Im not to late...LOL....

Regards
Darin
I do still make the modules. The whole kit typically runs about $150. I haven't purchased an IQ hatch switch in a while, which is what governs the price of the kit.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
ohiostate0924

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
@CTScott, Thats awesome Thank You....So what is all included with the kit and what else would I have to purchase to get this up and running....I am definitely interested in purchasing the "full" kit....Let me know the best way to order this and I will definitely order it in the next couple weeks...

Regards

Darin
ohiostate0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i forgot if having a power package mattered or not...
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
Just breezed over the post, but I don't have power locks and would like to do this with just an dash switch. Is that possible

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
i forgot if having a power package mattered or not...
Not really. I installed one on my red Yaris, which had manual locks and windows. I did install it though when I was adding an aftermarket keyless entry system. If one had manual locks and no keyless system, he would only be able to open the hatch after first unlocking the car with the key.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #15
Puky
I've made a post!

Drives: Vitz rs
Hi, where I can get the spring steel thruster mount ?
Puky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
gammarco

Drives: Yaris Hybrid GR Sport
@CTScott, hello! I have an European Yaris 1.3 Sol M-MT (Hatchback). I made few moddings on it and when I have doubts I always find the answer in your posts, thank you.
During Christmas holidays I decided to install the electric trunk release. Here you can see the scheme of the setup:

I used the Scirocco Trunk Poppers for the initial push. Everything works fine, but now I would like to open the trunk with the unlock button on my key (I use the OEM key with 2 buttons, Lock/Unlock). If I crimp the "unlock pulse" wire to pin 85 on the relay everytime I push the unlock button or turn the key in the door-lock the trunk opens, and this is not what I want. Is there a way to add a "virtual third button" to the OEM remote key for the trunk opening (unlock-button pressed for 2 seconds for example).
Hope I explained myself and sorry for my english. Thank you and have a great 2016!
Marco
gammarco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actuator, hatch, popper