Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2023, 07:11 AM   #1
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
Yaris 3rd Gen Denso AC/heater blower motor repair

Previously, i thought the denso motor blowers were disposable but i was mistaken.

In fact, they were very easy to disassemble and fix. A lot of youtube videos around just type in vios/yaris blower repair or carbon brush replacement.

The big question is the dimension of the carbon brush.

If you got links, please share it here.

I already purchased a denso motor blower and i will also fix the old one as spare.

Thanks

Last edited by rayfloyd170; 11-06-2023 at 11:44 PM. Reason: already fixed my motor
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 03:04 AM   #2
rayfloyd170

Yaris 3rd Gen Denso AC/heater blower motor repair

After replacing my blower motor with an exact Denso, I managed to open up the old motor and have seen the worn-out commutator that requires light machining.

I cleaned the blower/housing/stator & rotor first with WD40 and some degreaser. Sprayed the contact points (carbon brushes and holder) with contact cleaner and dried them all up.

I tried to use sandpaper on the copper commutator, but it wouldn't budge. The copper material is a bit hard than I expected and the unevenness of the wear could be where the noise is generated during operation.

The bearing also is sticking to the commutator probably when I tried to dismantle it by softly hammering the shaft.

I can easily fix this, just have to go to a machine shop to resurface the commutator and push back the bearing to its rightful place (granting it is still good). If not, then I probably have to replace 608DW bearings on both shaft ends.

111.JPG

moihyei3.jpg

Both the carbon brushes are still in amazing condition and length. I wasn't expecting it after 7+ years of usage (always at max blower settings here in the desert).

333.JPG

I didnt care to measure all the dimensions of the carbon brushes because I find them still in pristine condition. I did however measure one side (width) which is 6.41mm using a digital caliper.

Last edited by rayfloyd170; 11-08-2023 at 12:30 AM. Reason: already opened the motor and fixed it
Old 11-07-2023, 04:28 AM   #3
rayfloyd170

Screenshot_20231107_122005_Photos.jpg

After machining the commutator, also added a small sleeve to prevent future bearing from sticking to the commutator. Will also put Loctite to prevent it from moving/spinning and creating unwanted sound, could also use an 8mm circlip instead of sleeve.

Will replace both 608 bearings with available SKF, hopefully they will be as good as the NSK installed in the original rotor.

Last option, there is new commutator in Ali Express. Also, carbon brush is available if already worn out and too thin.

This blower motor can be repaired endlessly.
Screenshot_20231107_122541_AliExpress.jpg

141.JPG

121.JPG

Last edited by rayfloyd170; 11-08-2023 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2023, 04:52 AM   #4
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Damn this is actually really dope that you repaired it.

Love seeing thigns repaired rather than thrown away. thank you your post.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:16 PM   #5
WorldTraveler

Drives: 2009 Toyota Corolla
That's awesome you were able to repair your blower motor instead of replacing it! It's so much better for the environment and your wallet to fix things when possible. Out of curiosity, how difficult was the process of machining the commutator? Seemed like you had to get creative with some of the other fixes too. Always impressive when people can breathe new life into something most would just toss.
WorldTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote