Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Back Seat Removal...

Sorry to lag on this, I did it a couple weeks ago but haven't had time to prep the photos.

Start by removing all items under the storage hatch by "unlocking" the items:

Note the spare holder which protrudes above the relatively "flat" back - bummer #1.

You'll see that the seat frame is held on by 4 External Torx nuts (the other two are under the bottom seat):

The bottom seat frame is connected by two bolts, but removing these isn't enough to remove the seat. If you're planning on putting in a flat deck, you'll want to use this to mount to anyway, so don't remove it.

Instead, remove the seat by using a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to press in the tabs holding the seat cushion to bottom seat frame. Warning: This does not work like Scion bottom seats - if you try to force it, you'll rip the seat! (note - front of seat at the top of the photo, which is where the tabs are)

Close-up of tabs:

Removing the seat will show the next two torx bolts which screw through the back seat frame to the bottom seat frame. Remove these bolts, pull out the seat and replace the bolts (you'll probably want to use some 3/8" washers since the hole in the bottom seat frame is pretty big.

After removing everything you'll see bummer #2 - another protrusion with a cable coming out, which I'm assuming is the gas tank.

Lower angle shows the problem. If you want to put in a deck (like I have), you're going to have to add about 2 inches of height to clear the gas tank and spare holder:

Top view with everything removed:

In total it's about 100lbs saved if you're not going to keep a spare in the car. My big question is whether the back seat frame is actually a structural member. It's a pretty hefty bar...
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Nice removal of the rear seats.. I was just wondering if there was any specific reason for doing this besides the weight savings.. Are you planning on tracking, racing, auto-x the Yaris, or perhaps you've got a real nice audio/video setup planned???
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

It's for increased storage. I'm a photographer, and so I plan on having the bottom be completely flat to store various cases, then another platform will go on top of that (which will actually be two fold-out tables) then my dogs on top of that, with a little more storage for suitcases, camera cases, etc.

The idea is that I can have sort of a "hidden storage" area so I can keep my heavy cases in the car overnight (with an alarm) for shooting weekends where I don't want to drag 200lbs of gear up stairs every night. So I'd just bring in my cameras/laptops and leave everything else in the car. If someone looks in, all they'll see is the flat deck, which will be locked to the bottom.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
that's really interesting idjiit, thanks for the step-by-step
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Wow sounds like quite an undertaking, make sure to keep us posted on how that turns out for you!
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Will do. Yeah, it's pretty ambitious. I need to find a shop locally that can do aluminum fabrication. I already have a combo aluminum/wood base for the back just to get an idea of how everything can fit together realistically, but the final fab work is way beyond what I can do with screws and square stock.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit

In total it's about 100lbs saved if you're not going to keep a spare in the car. My big question is whether the back seat frame is actually a structural member. It's a pretty hefty bar...

The seat fram kinda looks like a crossbrace or something, just add some bars to the B-Pillars.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

I'm actually referring to the seat back frame, not the bottom seat frame. The back seat frame is extremely sturdy (and heavy) steel, not aluminum like the bottom seat frame, which I only keep to act as a base for my platform.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
I'm actually referring to the seat back frame, not the bottom seat frame. The back seat frame is extremely sturdy (and heavy) steel, not aluminum like the bottom seat frame, which I only keep to act as a base for my platform.

Word, but that bottom piece does look alot like a cross-brace.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_SpaRky
Word, but that bottom piece does look alot like a cross-brace.
Yeah, I doubt it is. I think if it was structural it would be stronger or have some diagonals in it. Looks like it's designed more to keep asses in place, not wheels. ;)
Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
If either was structural, you would not be able to remove them at all. Like on the last gen Camry's, the rear seats didn't fold and you could tell the backs were part of the structure.

In the picture it looks like there are 4 bolts at the corners of that big metal thing. Could it be possible that the white metal thing isn't actually the bottom of the car, or are those bolts all holding something else down?

Also, it almost looks like the spare tire thingy can come off.

I'm prolly stating silly things, but you never know.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

With the exception of the black frame, everything that can come off is off. The spare tire holder looks like it's riveted from below. It's possible it's screwed, but I doubt it. Not sure what white thing you're referring to is. In the back on the side of the spare area, the 4 screws are just holding down the plastic cowling for the wheel wells which basically just cover up the metal of the car, not much space savings there.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The white thing is the bottom of the car, lol.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #14
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

lol, sorry... overexposed the photos a bit. Yeah, anything that's silver/white is the body of the car. ;)
Old 04-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
You should find a way to get the frame out of there. That could be a good twenty lbs shaved or somewhere in that area... I don't know. But I'm sure it wieghts a good amt...
AutoTech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:45 PM   #16
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

It really isn't that heavy. Anything I would build to replace it would likely be heavier.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 PM   #17
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Drives: Turbo IS300
idjiit, you're my type of modder.
If I had a yaris I'd be doing the same thing as you.

Since you seem like a person who is truly a DIYer, and you have access to some plain steel (from your other post).

I assume you have either a MIG welder or access to one. If not, they really aren't as expensive as they were before.

You could turn that possible structural seat frame into something usefull for storage. Some square tubing as a base, some flat steel as a frame and some plexi would be fairly lightweight and a good way to organize.

If that frame is something you need, why not keep the base for it's intended purpose but now make something that need out of it.
SophieSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #18
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
If that frame is something you need, why not keep the base for it's intended purpose but now make something that need out of it.
Yeah, I'm keeping the seat base for the storage I'm currently building. I'm going with aluminum and not welding since I don't know how, but it's a pretty cool solution. I'm about 33% of the way through and will have a big post once it's all done.

In the meantime, I've tapped out aluminum square stock supplies out of every Lowes and Home Depot within a 20mi radius. I should have just made a big bulk order somewhere - probably would have been a hell of a lot cheaper.