Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
Scan Gauge II & Exhaust Tip Installs Done

Received my Scan Gauge II earlier this week and did the install on Thursday.

Wife rolls her eyes at why we need it, but she did like how the installation turned out. In other words, you can't even see it under normal conditions.

I mounted it inside the driver's glovebox, with the cable routed through a hole in the back wall of the box (bottom of back wall about 3.5" from left side wall).

To use it I just raise the glovebox door and the door cuts any glare and also shields if from direct sunlight - as the instructions suggest.

I had to remove the small panel on the bottom of the dash, as well as the panel below the steering wheel (to allow light, and vision with a mirror, way up under the dash).

The Scan Gauge had it's signal within 15 seconds and has worked flawlessly so far. I found that the Turquoise background color matches very well with the Yaris instrument panel. Also, Mfg has done a very good job on the connector design, like how the cable exits the OBD II plug from the side. It made for a very clean install. The extra cable is coiled with a couple of zip-ties and lays on the top side of the under-dash cover.

The Yaris Exhaust Tip (from my Toyota Dealer) really looks great - wife even approved of it, which surprised me. Mounts with a radiator hose type screw clamp.
Attached Images

Last edited by 60 Somethings; 11-04-2006 at 04:29 PM.
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
your gonna love your scanguageII . Good to know when the cars engine is warmed up. What rpm's your at. Miles per gallon calculator. Its a super little gadget. I love mine.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
your gonna love your scanguageII . Good to know when the cars engine is warmed up. What rpm's your at. Miles per gallon calculator. Its a super little gadget. I love mine.

I totally agree! Its a great tool for reading out what your car is up too, especially a car that doesn't have much read outs in the dash or most of them are idiot lights.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Just one bit of observed information: The Cold Engine light shuts off at 130 degrees.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Somethings
Just one bit of observed information: The Cold Engine light shuts off at 130 degrees.
cool, thanks for the info

But is that water temp, oil temp or another reading?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
you guys know anything like really cheap gauges and tachs that idiots can install:) lol probably not.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:17 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
That scangauge is pretty much plug and play...

Blitz also has the R-VIT which does a similar job from the OBD-II port, but with a more graphical look, there's even a color screen version.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #8
60 Somethings
Old Folks

That's the coolant temperature.

And, as eTiMaGo said, it's plug and play. Plug it in and turn on the ignition and it makes the connection. It's just like a USB device on a PC, to relate to something everyone probably knows.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
put a sun screen in your windshied in the summer I saw something somewhere about not putting something in the upper glove box that heat could hurt mite have been in the owners manual . I got my scangauge on top of the steering wheel think i am going to put a hat on it to keep the sun off next summer and get a sun screen
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
60 Somethings
Old Folks

We have a good sunshield and it does a great job of cutting down the interior temperature on a hot day, especially on dashboard surfaces.

As you can see from the 2nd picture (above) it's no longer sunny in the PNW. We won't need that sunshield again for another 4-5 months!
Old 11-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:

It must be different in the Yaris than the ECHO, cause for me its 139 degrees when the cold engine light goes off. Interesting.
So did you drill a hole for the wire to connect in the back of the gauge? Nice set up.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
SimplyYaris

Drives: Red Yaris HB
Quote:
Received my Scan Gauge II earlier this week and did the install on Thursday.

Wife rolls her eyes at why we need it, but she did like how the installation turned out. In other words, you can't even see it under normal conditions.

I mounted it inside the driver's glovebox, with the cable routed through a hole in the back wall of the box (bottom of back wall about 3.5" from left side wall).

To use it I just raise the glovebox door and the door cuts any glare and also shields if from direct sunlight - as the instructions suggest.

I had to remove the small panel on the bottom of the dash, as well as the panel below the steering wheel (to allow light, and vision with a mirror, way up under the dash).

The Scan Gauge had it's signal within 15 seconds and has worked flawlessly so far. I found that the Turquoise background color matches very well with the Yaris instrument panel. Also, Mfg has done a very good job on the connector design, like how the cable exits the OBD II plug from the side. It made for a very clean install. The extra cable is coiled with a couple of zip-ties and lays on the top side of the under-dash cover.

The Yaris Exhaust Tip (from my Toyota Dealer) really looks great - wife even approved of it, which surprised me. Mounts with a radiator hose type screw clamp.
This may be a really dumb question, but here goes... would an analog tachometer hook up to the same connection?
SimplyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #13
60 Somethings
Old Folks

1) I drilled a hole low on the back wall of the driver's glove box just large enough for the data plug (RJ-45) to go through (approx 1/2" to 5/8" hole). Today I stuffed a grommet in it around the scan gauge's cable (I had to make a cut in the grommet to encircle the installed cable).

You need to make the hole left of center in the glove box, because there is a horizontal structural plate up there that will block you from access to the hole otherwise. There is also a ground wire in there you need to make sure you don't hit and damage. I drilled a 1/4" hole and reamed it out with a dremel type tool. That was the easiest and neatest way to make a hole of the required size.

I was very happy how it turned out, and the wife is actually impressed with all that it can do.

2) Sure someone could probably come up with an analog guage that would work, but the Scan Gauge has FOUR simultneous readouts that can be changed as desired to read other measurements as well as the trouble codes. That's pretty near imposible with an analog gauge.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
SimplyYaris

Drives: Red Yaris HB
Quote:
1) I drilled a hole low on the back wall of the driver's glove box just large enough for the data plug (RJ-45) to go through (approx 1/2" to 5/8" hole). Today I stuffed a grommet in it around the scan gauge's cable (I had to make a cut in the grommet to encircle the installed cable).

You need to make the hole left of center in the glove box, because there is a horizontal structural plate up there that will block you from access to the hole otherwise. There is also a ground wire in there you need to make sure you don't hit and damage. I drilled a 1/4" hole and reamed it out with a dremel type tool. That was the easiest and neatest way to make a hole of the required size.

I was very happy how it turned out, and the wife is actually impressed with all that it can do.

2) Sure someone could probably come up with an analog guage that would work, but the Scan Gauge has FOUR simultneous readouts that can be changed as desired to read other measurements as well as the trouble codes. That's pretty near imposible with an analog gauge.
Thanks for the extra installation instructions Yea, its hard to argue with all the functions on the scan gauge II.

Thanks!
SimplyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:42 AM   #15
htfiles

Drives: 1989 Civic GL Sedan
can anyone provide a description or photo of where the liftback's OBDII port is?

Attached is the location I thought it was in. I'm trying to help my dad find it but I've never been in a yaris but it's a bit hard being 9235 miles away

Cheers!
Attached Images

htfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #16
Japmuscle

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan 5sp
DLC-3=OBDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiles View Post
can anyone provide a description or photo of where the liftback's OBDII port is?

Attached is the location I thought it was in. I'm trying to help my dad find it but I've never been in a yaris but it's a bit hard being 9235 miles away

Cheers!
DLC-3=OBDI?
Japmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote