Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #1
ResX
I've made a post!

Drives: 2005 Toyota Yaris 998cc
MAF Sensor

I had to call breakdown assistance this weekend because my Yaris kept stalling after a few minutes of driving. They determined it was the MAF sensor and cleaned it. My car was then fine to drive home, but stalled again the next morning. I have unplugged the sensor for now (as directed by the mechanic) and plan to replace it ASAP.

It seems quite straightforward to do, so I plan to order the part and do it at home. My issue is, there are so many sensors out there (ranging from 20 - 200) and I don't know what to go for. The car is a cheap first student car and already quite old (2005), so I don't really want to spend loads on it. Although I love it, I also probably won't have it for much more than 5 more years.

Why are the prices so different? Will a £21 sensor like this Ridex one do the job and last long enough (considering it has a 2 year guarantee), or is it a complete no-go and I should go for something more expensive?https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ridex/8053779

Any advice on what to get/what to look out would be greatly appreciated. As would any tips on replacing it!

Thank you
ResX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:00 AM   #2
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
hopefully it is just the MAF sensor for a 2005 yaris but could be another thing if the mechanic did not perform an obd scan to identify the real cause.

From the symptoms you mentioned it could be due to faulty fuel delivery system like plugged fuel filters or fuel pressure is insufficient, it could be the ignition system or it could be the O2 sensors which are known to cause this kind of problems... Anyway to cut it short, if really the maf is faulty then buy the oem denso part to avoid any hassle but i would suggest to perform a proper test since you got a used unit that could be lying down for a long time and who knows how it was taken cared of..
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maf, sensor