Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
RedSuns

Drives: 08 Yaris
Door lock issue - new key or lock?

Hey guys, recently purchased an 08 Yaris with 89k on it. Manual locks, windows etc. No keyless entry or auto locks.

Car is great so far, however, i have noticed two issues. The trunk will not open. The cylinder will turn to the right to lock it, however, it will not budge to unlock it. I was able to manually open it from inside of the car by pressing on the silver lever on the trunk door after removing the plastic panel. I have researched this and it seems lubrication with graphite seems to be a good idea which i am going to try.

However, the second issue is that the driver's door lock won't turn left with the key either. It will turn right, but not left at all. The same issue as the trunk it seems. The passenger door has no issues.

I only received one key with the vehicle which was the black key and not the valet key. But it does look worn and not as sharp around the edges.

Do you guys think this is just a key issue and i should get a second one cut using the vin? Or could this be a bigger issue? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
RedSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Even if issue is not the key, you should bloody well get another cut pronto. I personally would not leave myself in a situation without a standby key.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
First thing you do is to lube the locks! For your problem dry graphite might not work as well as graphite that comes mixed with a liquid lubrication. I personally use White lithium spray lubricant sold by the makers of liquid wrench. Be careful not to spray too much because it will run down the side of the door. I think lubing the locks will fix your problem.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Old 09-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
WeeYari

The hatch lock has been proven to be very prone to gumming up issues requiring cleaning and lubing. Mine is the same. I have also found that my driver side can be fussy when using my primary key, but loves the less frequently used secondary key. So, I suspect the hatch issue is tied to gunk, and the door issue tied to key, but a lubing would be in order there as well.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
First thing you do is to lube the locks! For your problem dry graphite might not work as well as graphite that comes mixed with a liquid lubrication. I personally use White lithium spray lubricant sold by the makers of liquid wrench. Be careful not to spray too much because it will run down the side of the door. I think lubing the locks will fix your problem.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
I have a can off graphite spray good stuff, a new key will be expensive but recomended
Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
RedSuns

Thanks for all the great responses! I got some graphite and lubed the locks and also got a new key made, seems to have done the trick and the locks are working like a charm now. Thanks again everyone! I look forward to contributing to the forum.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:10 AM   #7
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
I have a can off graphite spray good stuff, a new key will be expensive but recomended
Sounds like the OP has a chipless key. Same as I have and it cost $3 at walmart. I picked up an extra couple right after I bought my car. I even zip tied one to the under carriage just for an emergency.
I agree. Graphite is a wonder drug for stubborn locks.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
RedSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla View Post
Sounds like the OP has a chipless key. Same as I have and it cost $3 at walmart. I picked up an extra couple right after I bought my car. I even zip tied one to the under carriage just for an emergency.
I agree. Graphite is a wonder drug for stubborn locks.
Yup its chipless, i got my replacement key copied at the hardware store for $2. Can't complain with that. The graphite is great too, the actuation and movement is much smoother.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
I have one ignition key (with transponder) and 2 ordinary keys for door locks i realy must get a spare ignition key cut!
Old 09-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #10
xalpha322

Drives: Yaris Hatch 5dr
I need help to with something aroung these lines. I don't have the remote to unlock or lock so i use the key to unlock . On the inside i got the lock and unlock button (near the hand brake) that works fine on all the doors and trunk . From the outside on passenger side the key works fine in both directions, but on the driver side i can only UNLOCK the doors & trunk when i try to lock (turning key counter clock-wise) the lock does not turn and i feel like if i keep forcing ill bend the key.

Anyone can help ? Or give any info ?
xalpha322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Sounds a lot like the OP's problem. Maybe try his solution.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
xalpha322

Drives: Yaris Hatch 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Sounds a lot like the OP's problem. Maybe try his solution.
what does this mean .. want me to make a video ?
xalpha322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #13
WeeYari

It means do what the OP did. Lubricate the locks and cut a new key.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #14
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
OP = original poster

I second the new key thing. My Scion is a finicky ol thing with 280,000 miles on it. Had a new key made and the locks work fine again.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #15
Gael
I've made a post!

Drives: Nissan 2015
I would really suggest you get a locksmith and see what you can do to fix the issue. It's kind of a playing game where the fire can always burn you if you're not careful enough. I once ended up with my car in the middle of nowhere, not opening the door.It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life, being in the middle of a forest full of wild animals out of my car. So many things could have wrong on that day. Eventually, I was able to get a locksmith from https://swiftlocksmithinc.com/locksmith-durham-nc/, and the guy understood the urgency of my call and was there within 30 minutes.

Last edited by Gael; 05-25-2021 at 09:11 PM.
Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #16
DeirdreGill
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
You should only change your locks if you want or need new ones because it's generally more expensive than simply having your locks rekeyed. For example, if your locks are old and wearing out, changing them will be a better option than rekeying them. I don't think it's necessary to change the car door just for a lock. I had the same problem, but I called https://www.extralocksmithslc.com/west-valley-city/, and they did everything for me quickly and qualitatively. So I think it's much cheaper to change the lock than the door.

Last edited by DeirdreGill; 07-26-2021 at 01:30 AM.
DeirdreGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:27 AM   #17
DragonPost

Drives: none
What to do if the key gets stuck?
DragonPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:30 AM   #18
fitzgemman
I've made a post!

Drives: bmw
The first thing to do is spray the mechanism with silicone spray and take the key out gently, taking your time. If this method does not work, the key should be clamped with pliers and loosen slightly. After that spray, a little fluid again and carefully turns the key again. My advice: after spraying, you should move the key a little bit to maximize the distribution of grease, wait about 20 minutes and then take out the key. If you succeed, you need to change the caster or the lock. Otherwise, the situation could happen again. If there is no problem when the door is open, but when it is closed, the key gets stuck, the door frame must be bored out. For this purpose, you can use a grinder, drill, or file, but in any case, it is best to call a locksmith from https://mylocallocksmithtx.com/grand-prairie/, who will do everything himself.

Last edited by fitzgemman; 11-02-2021 at 08:21 AM.
fitzgemman is offline   Reply With Quote