Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Frankenstein Engine

So I've seen a few videos in YT where an Atkinson engine (-FXE) was taken and reverted (not sure of what term to use) to non Atkinson due to higher compression of that engine to make more HP. Even someone here has done this said Frankenstein with a 1ZR-FXE. I'm wondering if anyone has thought of doing that with the 2ZR-FXE? And is the 3ZR-FE just a stroked 2ZR-FE? Can they all be Frankesteined to produce a higher compression and more stroke??? I don't have the money to experiment, so I'm throwing out the idea for someone to pick it up.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
speedworxs

Drives: |Mr2
the mr2 swap an 2ar fe. and he did a fxe swap too. (much more involved, swap both cams, and timing, ugh)
i would think that staying 2zr, the fxe replace fe pistons would be ok. but when you change the stroke (3zr) that could cause issues, i wouldn't risk.

heres the 2ar fxe swap -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8t_p_waOEs&t=1427s
speedworxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The other issue with the 3ZR-FE is that it's not available in North America as far as I can tell, just the -FAE. That's a totally different head as well--Valvematic instead of VVT-i. I think the only real frankenstein you could do is to use the 3ZR lower end to do a "stroker" kit up to 2.0 from 1.8L. No idea what that would do to compression...
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedworxs View Post
the mr2 swap an 2ar fe. and he did a fxe swap too. (much more involved, swap both cams, and timing, ugh)
i would think that staying 2zr, the fxe replace fe pistons would be ok. but when you change the stroke (3zr) that could cause issues, i wouldn't risk.

heres the 2ar fxe swap -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8t_p_waOEs&t=1427s
I actually follow that guy, and that's exactly why I brought the idea. I had thought of putting a 2AR-FE in my Yaris, but I hate the fact that the exhaust header would be next to the radiator, although I believe that it's feasible, and the subframe already has a channel for the exhaust pipe. I even thought of putting a 2GR, but that's just too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The other issue with the 3ZR-FE is that it's not available in North America as far as I can tell, just the -FAE. That's a totally different head as well--Valvematic instead of VVT-i. I think the only real frankenstein you could do is to use the 3ZR lower end to do a "stroker" kit up to 2.0 from 1.8L. No idea what that would do to compression...
AH! I thought the 3ZR-FE are available in North America, from the 2013 RAV4. I think it's available in South America though?

What makes the 2ZR-FXE have higher compression, is it just the pistons? If so, would it be possible to take a 2ZR-FXE's piston, mate it with the 3ZR-FAE's short block and use a 2ZR-FE's cylinder head? Is it too much work for only some gain?

What about just a 2ZR-FXE reverted to an FE for higher compression application? Supposedly the generally accepted gauge for adding compression is that one full point of compression can add between 3 to 4 percent power, so that's roughly 9-12%, so average 13HP gain.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
speedworxs

Drives: |Mr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
I actually follow that guy, and that's exactly why I brought the idea. I had thought of putting a 2AR-FE in my Yaris, but I hate the fact that the exhaust header would be next to the radiator, although I believe that it's feasible, and the subframe already has a channel for the exhaust pipe. I even thought of putting a 2GR, but that's just too much.

What makes the 2ZR-FXE have higher compression, is it just the pistons? If so, would it be possible to take a 2ZR-FXE's piston, mate it with the 3ZR-FAE's short block and use a 2ZR-FE's cylinder head? Is it too much work for only some gain?

What about just a 2ZR-FXE reverted to an FE for higher compression application? Supposedly the generally accepted gauge for adding compression is that one full point of compression can add between 3 to 4 percent power, so that's roughly 9-12%, so average 13HP gain.
the 2zr is going to be your best bet, if you like the way the yaris handles now, the weight increase will be very low
the pistons will be the compression increase if nothing else has changed - i recommend a short block and swap cams; thats the route i'm going with on my 1nz-fxe. then you don't have to resize anything (bearings, rings, and redo gaskets)
given the increase in power on the 2ar, i bet the 2zr could be a strong 40hp increase... but don't forget the 2ar in the video is using a tuned ecu, and you would need similar to make the best out of any engine
speedworxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedworxs View Post
the 2zr is going to be your best bet, if you like the way the yaris handles now, the weight increase will be very low
the pistons will be the compression increase if nothing else has changed - i recommend a short block and swap cams; thats the route i'm going with on my 1nz-fxe. then you don't have to resize anything (bearings, rings, and redo gaskets)
given the increase in power on the 2ar, i bet the 2zr could be a strong 40hp increase... but don't forget the 2ar in the video is using a tuned ecu, and you would need similar to make the best out of any engine
Thank you! I appreciate the input. I do love how my Dee Dee handles, and I've even yet to put a rear sway bar and a front strut tower bar, so I can just imagine how much more it would improve. And actually you don't gain any weight from the 1NZ to 2ZR swap. I bet if you can lay 150+ WHP NA on this baby it would rock!

Last edited by Neinris; 05-13-2021 at 01:52 PM.