Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
daewoo01
2NZ Echo kids comp hack

Drives: 2003 Toyota Echo comp hack
Web Cams

Please don't turn this into a regrind/billet fight. Simple thing is, simple engine, NA, seeking moderate gains mostly torque, and budget doesn't extend to JUN.

I contacted Web and they can still do regrinds for the 1NZ.

Reading the forum posts about Web Cams from almost a decade ago, and there was some discussion about needing spacers or removing spacers from the lifters.

Is this still relevant? Was it the same for all profiles?

I need to find a pair of cams to send over, so have to pay international freight both ways, but Web are the only company that has replied or replied positively about doing regrinds for these engines.
daewoo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:46 AM   #2
RomanDave

Drives: 2NZ ITB NCP10
When they regrind cams, they generally grind down the base circle.

So this means the bucket can sit higher up against the cam, and then when the cam lobe starts to push down on the bucket, it pushes it down further and for slightly longer duration.

So with the 1NZ motor they dont use shims, the thickness is in the bucket itself.

So you will have to check the clearances, and then buy or find new buckets for all 16 most likely.

This might make it a cost neutral exercise to buying non reground cams.

On other engines where you can just swap the shims, it's a bit easier/cheaper.
RomanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
You will need shims with a regrind. I have Rebello regrinds in one of my engines, and Jun in the other. None of the buckets are tall enough to make up for the reduction in base circle.

In both cases you are going to be swapping buckets because the replacement won't be the same dimension as what you took out.

Our valve stems are tiny, I believe we used a motorcycle shim kit with the regrind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160824_131827343.jpg (201.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 06-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Schneider will do regrinds as well.
http://schneidercams.com/

How regrinds work is the grind away the base circle and increase the lobe profile, in order to compensate for the lost material a thicker lifter is needed, you can do this with thicker lifters or with shims.

Using the shims Jason posted I was able to run my engine to 8k no problem, but I probably wouldn't run it on the street like that.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:21 AM   #5
daewoo01
2NZ Echo kids comp hack

Drives: 2003 Toyota Echo comp hack
Hi all, sorry it appears I ignored your replies. My account got messed up and I wasn't able to post for a couple of months.

Do you recall what the shims you used were?

It looks like I can but shimless lifters locally for $175 for a set. Would be very cheap if you were paying in USD instead of Australian Peso.

For a rally car, I would usually say a hot-street profile would be best, not a race profile. What would you recommend?

https://toyotparts.wixsite.com/toyota31mm

Cheers,
Daewoo
daewoo01 is offline   Reply With Quote