Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
ZeroTM

Drives: A Dead 2003 Cadillac CTS
Send a message via AIM to ZeroTM
Soon To Be Behind The Wheel Of A New Yaris!

*sigh*

Alas, only a week ago, my beautiful car, a 2003 Cadillac CTS, died on me. It was time to go out and look for a new car. After roaming dealership to dealership, I quickly figured my next best option would actually be a fuel economic car (considering the recent news that gas *may* go up an additional $3/gallon by the end of the year).

After looking over my options, I ended narrowing my choices down to the Hyondai Accent (surprisingly roomy!), the VW Rabbit (surprisingly peppy!), and the Toyota Yaris. Much recearch ensued.

Once everything was said and done, I decided to go for the Flint Mica Yaris! No problem, right? I was dealing with a local dealership with the paperwork ready to roll tomorrow morning. They e-mailed me this afternoon, and said they sold it out from under me. WHAT!?! .. I called around, and everyone had the same story, "Sorry, we just sold our last Flint Mica today/yesterday." .. .. OMG WHAT!? ..

I called everywhere in Northern, Central, and Southern Virginia. I found ONE. I begged the guy to hold it for me. Finally, it looks like my plans are all in set. Tomorrow morning, I *hope* to be a proud owner of a 2007 Flint Mica Toyota Yaris!!

Okay, so I'm venting.. I'm good..........

Regardless, I'm stuck with ye ole` base model. The dealership is getting stuff ready to throw on Cruise Control (At $700.. Is that a good price??) and Power Door Locks (At $750!? .. I think that's a bit steep).

It's a shame at the same time, as the Yaris out in Slovakia has nearly every feature my CTS had. Power seats, power locks, power windows, power mirrors, digital speedometer, digital tachometer, digital A/C controls, steering wheel controls, the list goes on. AND to top it off, they have the 4-door lift back unit. *sigh* .. Why oh why does Toyota US toy with my emotions like this!?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
only started a week ago...
and you are getting your yaris...
consider yourself lucky... many people waited much longer than that...
and yeah... usdm yaris is the cheapest model trim of yaris on earth...
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Do a SEARCH for Cruise Control here.. few topics on an aftermarket kit that guys are having excellent results with! Plus its less then HALF of what you quoted in your post.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
ZeroTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhcchen
only started a week ago...
and you are getting your yaris...
consider yourself lucky... many people waited much longer than that...
and yeah... usdm yaris is the cheapest model trim of yaris on earth...

HAHA.. Well, damn.. We'll see how lucky I really am when I hit up the dealership tomorrow to purchase the, hopefully still in stock, FM Yaris.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
I am still waiting mine.. two more weeks to go.
And you are so lucky that can get one in the next day!
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTM
*sigh*

Alas, only a week ago, my beautiful car, a 2003 Cadillac CTS, died on me. It was time to go out and look for a new car. After roaming dealership to dealership, I quickly figured my next best option would actually be a fuel economic car (considering the recent news that gas *may* go up an additional $3/gallon by the end of the year).

After looking over my options, I ended narrowing my choices down to the Hyondai Accent (surprisingly roomy!), the VW Rabbit (surprisingly peppy!), and the Toyota Yaris. Much recearch ensued.

Once everything was said and done, I decided to go for the Flint Mica Yaris! No problem, right? I was dealing with a local dealership with the paperwork ready to roll tomorrow morning. They e-mailed me this afternoon, and said they sold it out from under me. WHAT!?! .. I called around, and everyone had the same story, "Sorry, we just sold our last Flint Mica today/yesterday." .. .. OMG WHAT!? ..

I called everywhere in Northern, Central, and Southern Virginia. I found ONE. I begged the guy to hold it for me. Finally, it looks like my plans are all in set. Tomorrow morning, I *hope* to be a proud owner of a 2007 Flint Mica Toyota Yaris!!

Okay, so I'm venting.. I'm good..........

Regardless, I'm stuck with ye ole` base model. The dealership is getting stuff ready to throw on Cruise Control (At $700.. Is that a good price??) and Power Door Locks (At $750!? .. I think that's a bit steep).

It's a shame at the same time, as the Yaris out in Slovakia has nearly every feature my CTS had. Power seats, power locks, power windows, power mirrors, digital speedometer, digital tachometer, digital A/C controls, steering wheel controls, the list goes on. AND to top it off, they have the 4-door lift back unit. *sigh* .. Why oh why does Toyota US toy with my emotions like this!?

Congrats on potential car and good luck! Also I'm baffeled, your 2003 Cadillac died on you??? Its three years old and it died? Story time! Is that a typo or did I read that right?? Wow if that's true I guess GM products really are crap (no offense).

Well to anwser your last question of options...there's no market (not yet at least) in N/A to bring over such "blinged" up Yarii, for one no one or at least very very very few Americans will buy a Yaris for 25k. Toyota had to "water" it down for us Americans to buy it based on dollar value and size ratio, if that makes sense...meaning if the Yaris came to 25k but there are other cars for the same price but bigger and more power and ALMOST the same milage, why go Yaris? See? But you're right, other nations get the goodies namely JDM products That's just the generalization of it and brief overview...but as gas rises maybe Americans will be willing to shell it out for premium sub-compacts and/or smaller cars in general, we'll see!

Keep us posted and post pics of your car!! WELCOME!!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #7
drdavidr4u

Drives: Yaris Lftbk Black 5spd TRDrims
Still waiting for my ordered Yaris....3 months to go(of a 4 mth quote), unless the dealer lied....now who would ever suspect that???!!!!!!
drdavidr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:34 AM   #8
ZeroTM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
Congrats on potential car and good luck! Also I'm baffeled, your 2003 Cadillac died on you??? Its three years old and it died? Story time! Is that a typo or did I read that right?? Wow if that's true I guess GM products really are crap (no offense).

Well to anwser your last question of options...there's no market (not yet at least) in N/A to bring over such "blinged" up Yarii, for one no one or at least very very very few Americans will buy a Yaris for 25k. Toyota had to "water" it down for us Americans to buy it based on dollar value and size ratio, if that makes sense...meaning if the Yaris came to 25k but there are other cars for the same price but bigger and more power and ALMOST the same milage, why go Yaris? See? But you're right, other nations get the goodies namely JDM products That's just the generalization of it and brief overview...but as gas rises maybe Americans will be willing to shell it out for premium sub-compacts and/or smaller cars in general, we'll see!

Keep us posted and post pics of your car!! WELCOME!!
Oh yea.. I bought the CTS a few years back when I traded in my Cadillac Catera. The CTS was my second, and last Cadillac I will ever buy!! It's a shame, actually, as the cars were both really nice. The biggest problem GM had is .. err .. parts. For instance, I had to replace my battery in the CTS a few weeks ago (obviously leading to a bigger problem). No one makes an aftermarket battery that fits. After looking for two weeks (kinda sad when you think about it.. took me 2 weeks to find a battery, and only 1 week to find a Yaris!), I found out that only ONE vendor sells the battery, and they ONLY made it for the CTS.

Long story short, I ended up having to 'order' one from the Cadillac dealer for nearly $200. .. and THEN they wanted to charge me $70 to install it (HA.. I can do that myself, thank you very much!).

Car ran great for the next week, or so. I went to the grocery store with a friend, and when I went to leave, I hopped in the car and tried to start it.. *crank crank crank* .. wouldn't start!? .. Set the system in diagnostic mode (yea, that is a feature I enjoyed about the car), and found the battery level was jumping up and down, but didn't have any reason to affect the ignition switch. Hmmm.. Tried it again .. *crank crank crank* .. Grr..

Left it sitting there all night. Came back around 4am, and tried it again. *crank* .. START .. Drove her home. I figured at this point, the starter was going bad, but I wasn't sure.

Next day I got up, went to go run some errands. Started with zero issue. Started down the road. .. about 10 miles down, all the sudden, the car siezed. Couldn't control the steering wheel or anything, all I could do was hit the brake and hope I stayed on the road.

Sat there for nearly an hour (in a blind spot over a hill mind you), before I finally was able to get it started again. Hmmm.. Now it sounds like a bad relay? .. Cheaper than the starter, but how bad would it be? .. I decided to drive it down to my local repair shop that I've used since I was a kid.

I go in and explain to them the situation, and tell them I think it's probably the fuel pump relay. They agreed! (See, I'm not as stupid as I look) Unfortunately, they had ZERO information on AllData nor Mitchell-on-Demand about where this fuel pump relay was. There were no markings in the owners manual or the relay box cover. So they told me I'd be better off leaving it at the dealership. *sigh*

So I hop back in the car, to head down to the dealer (which is a little over an hour and a half away). Then...you guessed it! *crank crank crank* .. Nothing.. GRRRRRRRRR..

I gave it time.. I let it cool.. It never ever ever ever started again.

Called up AAA and got it towed to the dealership. Of course, I had to leave it.

They looked it over, and it's pretty much a lost cause. The car wont even start back. Seems there was an electrical surge in the system, which fried multiple items under the hood. They also said that the other items that need to be swapped out were the fuel pump and thei crank shaft sensor. Unfortunately, the fuel pump is located above the real axle........which is the drive axle.......which they have to remove to get to the damn pump.. CRAP! Not to get into a bunch of details, I agreed with everything they noted. The cost of repairing it outsurpased the cost of keeping it.

The worst part? .. It's out of warranty by 2,000 miles. Yay!

Anyhoo.. The price of gas has rocketed anyways, and it's going to go higher. Why not get into a nice economic vehicle, with a beauty of high gas mileage? The Yaris is my new car... *sniff* ... I just wish it was like the Yaris in Slovakia. Ahh well, I'll only be in the states for a few more years, then it's back to there anyways. So if I love the Yaris here, I'll drop dead with the rockin-ness of the Yaris there.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #9
ZeroTM

I should note, both the CTS and Catera were officially German made by Opel. The parts for either car, are unavailable anywhere without ordering. It's INSANE. And of course, the only place that *can* order parts is from the dealer. .. and of course, the dealer only takes up the pricing up by 200%.. Soooo.. expensive parts made more expensive and only sold at one place? .. Supply and demand.....
Old 08-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's

THAT SUCKS!! Now I feel even better about only trusting Honda/Toyota/Nissan (maybe Hyundai...they're proving some points).

GM SUX!!
FORD SUX!!
I've had fords with 50,000 miles feel like they were dying (Synthetic fluids since 10,000 miles). I've had Toyotas with 200,000 miles that never gave me a problem...

Did you consider buying an extended warranty??? Possibly a THIRD PARTY WARRANTY company??? many times , they will warranty your vehicle EVEN if it's broke down because it doesn't cost them very much to repair, they're "eating' the cost like an Insurance Company would..
anyway, just food for thought..maybe check Google.com for "Cadillac Warranty" or "Cadillac Extended Warranty <your state here>"
Old 08-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo
Got mine in 24 hours when I was looking..

"Hello, do you have a Liftback with blah blah blah in stock? YES?!? I'll be right down to buy it!"
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTM
I should note, both the CTS and Catera were officially German made by Opel. The parts for either car, are unavailable anywhere without ordering. It's INSANE. And of course, the only place that *can* order parts is from the dealer. .. and of course, the dealer only takes up the pricing up by 200%.. Soooo.. expensive parts made more expensive and only sold at one place? .. Supply and demand.....

Wow that is insane! Thanks for the story/heads up. So are you from Slovakia? Or just live there or business? Sorry not to hijack the thread, just curious.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo
When my civic died on July 18 2006, the same day *6 hours later* I was already in my Silver yaris ... I am assuming I am extremely lucky??? lol
sam07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam07yaris
When my civic died on July 18 2006, the same day *6 hours later* I was already in my Silver yaris ... I am assuming I am extremely lucky??? lol
Yes, you are..
Sounds like my 'Boo' PW Yaris LB will be coming next week. I am so excited!
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:07 PM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yeah, my last car was a 1996 STS. Gas guzzler, cost a gillion dollars to fix anything... way too much car for a starving 21 year old college kid. I was really happy to get a Yaris... my family is friends with another family who owns a local Toyota dealership, and I got to drive the first LB off the lot! I'm a lot happier now... this car is much more manageable.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote