Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
Thumbs up Like The good old days

The enthusiasm of Yaris owners reminds me of the days of the original VW Beetle which cost less than a grand and when folks passed one another on the road they'd beep their horns. There were no computers for us so people started local VW clubs and like Yaris owners dressed up and souped up their cars. It's nice to have a car that's sort of unique and fun to own and drive. At least it will be when mine finally arrives.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Its so true!

For me it is cool because I (admittedly) grew up a part of the Fast and Furious generation... I was a little too young to own a car when it first came out, but that movie was the reason I bought a Mitsubishi Eclipse as my first car. With the Yaris I feel like it is the same thing all over again, but all of these sociopolitical issues have changed the game. (Re: gas prices/mileage) Before it was all about what you could do with a small, low powered vehicle... now it is about what you can do with a super small, super low powered vehicle. The nice thing is what us Yaris drivers lose in engine power we make up a little in curb weight, so all in all I think this is very similar to when people started tricking out Civics back in the day. Its awesome to be on the front lines of it, at least here in the US! Every time I do something to my car I get to wonder if it has been done before... its really exciting!

Not to get sappy, but this is easily one of the most laid back car forums I have ever come across and I hope you all know how much I (and I'm sure others) appreciate all of the commenting, picture taking, hard work, and advising everyone does on this site. I go here before I call my service department for questions anymore!

And thanks to all the moderators, too. You guys have a wonderful thing going here. In a couple years this forum will be quite the sight.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
My first NEW car was a 1966 VW sedan - $1,976 out the door!

Loved that car.

Also, loved our 1979 Ford Fiesta.

Yaris LB is a modern version of these vehicles.

FYI: The VW only got 24MPG, but would cruise at 72MPH all day.

The Fiesta maxed out at 85MPH - don't remember the mileage.
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Hopefully some meets will get organized, and this thing will continue to grow..
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
Where are the Yaris lift backs? The last couple of weeks I drove around Dallas then to Geroge Town. I also drove from the coast of NC to Winston Salem and back. I have had my yaris for 5 weeks and so far I have seen 3 lift backs and only one was on the road.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
We saw two on the road on our way down to LA last week. Both were going in the opposite direction from us!

Also saw one on a car lot alongside the freeway - wife said that didn't count.

Saw one sedan on the way back.

Had oil changed last night (2nd time - 6,330 miles now) and they had a red LB (no power pkg) being readied for delivery and one sedan available (also no power).

Ran into our salesman out on the lot - he said our fully loaded LB is the only one to ever come in to the dealership! (It was delivered in May.) He said they have tried to "preference" two others (sounds like reserve them off of shipping list; he said they cannot actually order them) but they have not been able to get any.
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
riceboy

In Toronto they are everywhere.... I think the sales of this vehicle are surprising folks from both sides of the border..
Old 08-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
In Toronto they are everywhere.... I think the sales of this vehicle are surprising folks from both sides of the border..
I've seen atleast 5 or 6 in Collingwood already! Impressive. This towns not that big.

I've only seen in person 1 Fit (I work with her).

I love my Yaris - def have a sense of pride and excitemetn when I drive her! It just so much more "cool" and unique then the rest of hte vehicles in its class!

Love the hatchback SO MUCH!

Jem
Old 08-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
I go here before I call my service department for questions anymore!
Same. I look on here for facts first or post, feel the waters before going to my dealership.

Love this forum. The Toyota Nation one im not impressed w/ at all. Looks cheaps and I just find it lacking. Much better body of peps here I find too for intelligent info, pics, and better posting.

This is the first Car forum Ive ever really posted on to any degree... I dont do forums really, except for tranceaddict, im a whore on there... but I love my electronic music scene in Toronto!!

heheh, as of today:

13,155 (13.09 posts per day)

^^ LOL! Postwhore!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
riceboy

Yup.. those Fit are not really too present.. I've seen maybe 3-4 since April.. maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.. today I saw the versa for the first time... it's a lot larger than both the yaris and fit...

and yup again.. most of the "yaris" boards out there just aren't very lively.. at least when you drop by here, you're pretty much guaranteed a couple new posts.. and when it comes to the latest and greatest updates.. well so far this is the place to find it..
Old 08-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #11
festrca

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Just joined this great forum as I've had a Blazing Blue 5SM Liftback on order for almost 2 months and after having had promises made and broken it looks like it will definitely be here in Mass. by Tuesday. I've only seen about eight LBs on the road since they have been out and never a blazing blue.Most of the dealers have zero LBs and tons of four doors w/autos around here. I really am excited to become an enthusiast once again :)(the only previous vehicle I really loved was my late lamented 1990 Festiva).
festrca is offline   Reply With Quote