Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2008, 06:35 AM   #19
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Sounds like a great idea.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
this is a great idea

this spring.. how about a lowering sprint install day :) ?
Sounds good - By then I might have my lift as well. When I designed and built the addition to my house two years ago, the wife got her master bedroom suite and I got my 1320 sq ft garage with enough space and a high enough ceiling to allow me to add a real lift...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #21
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
thats sick.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #22
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Holy crap... if you buy a lift then I'm doing a custom exhaust! hahaha, Tiny, did you ever get anywhere with that guy and his pipe bender?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
he was just here i might be able to talk to him tomorrow .. i'll see i see him every friday and will be workin with him alot in the next couple weeks..i'll see where he is on that.. maybe we can do one up for me a get a design and have him whip out a bunch of them and come up with a nice cheap price :)
Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #24
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Shazam!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #25
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Last chance folks. If anyone wants to hop a ride down with me, PM me!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The workshop worked out excellent. Although we only did two cars this first run, it went well and was an awesome learning experience. We learned much about the differences or lack thereof between the 08 and 09 and found a couple of interesting idiosyncrasies with remote start and keyless entry on the Yaris. I will be editing the video and posting it as well as a photo based DIY. In the meantime here are some of the interesting things we ran into:

1. The infamous issue with not being able to unlock the doors with the remote after locking using the switch on the driver's door - We thought we were 100% done with Sodium Duck's car and went to grab a quick dinner. Exiting the restaurant,
as we approached the car he hit the unlock button and the doors would not unlock. After a bit of circuit tracing we found that the recommended door unlock wire was incorrect. See this thread for a complete explanation:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...?t=9827&page=2

2. A tach signal that is not a good tach signal - After wiring Sodium's he hit the start button on the remote and the car would start for about two seconds, and then die. The diagnostic indicator for his Valet system indicated that it was not seeing a proper tach input. We put an oscilloscope on the recommended tach wire (the light green wire on the OBDII connector) and found that the signal was a sawtooth wave. We checked the tach wire (red wire next to the green wire) going to the TPMS module (located behind the glove box) and found it to be a nice square wave. After moving the tach wire from the OBDII connector to the TPMS connector all was well. When we installed my Ultrastart starter in my 09 we initially tried the OBDII connector to see if the Ultrastart could use the sawtooth wave, and it too was not happy, so on mine we moved the tach input to the TPMS as well.

3. Default output polarity - I ordered the Ultrastart 1280XR-Pro primarily because it has the most rugged key fobs that I have seen (cast metal, rather than chincy plastic like some others). The Ultrastart module wanted to flash the parking lights with a positive output and the easily accessible parking light wire on the column is negative polarity, so I had to add an external relay to invert the signal. So, to keep things simple with the install, before buying a module, verify that the door and parking light outputs can be negative polarity without requiring external relays. Sodium’s Valet module had jumper selectable polarity for the lights, which kept things simple and clean with his. (The Ultrastart turned out to have menu selectable polarity for the lights, but the documentation on it was buried in the convoluted programming instructions, which we didn't run into until we had already added the relay to reverse polarity...)

4. Ease of configuration - Along with verifying that a module supports the correct polarity, check the configuration directions (all brands of remote starters have their manuals online, so you can check them before buying) to make sure that they are not ridiculously complicated. The Valet module was quite simple to configure. The Quickstart module has the most convoluted programming instructions that I have ever seen on a remote starting system.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #27
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Outstanding...and thanks.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #28
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

This was a great learning experience for me. I hope the videos and pictures we took will help others out, too. I'm a novice when it comes to wiring -- I can do car stereos easy, but this is a lot more in depth, getting into the real guts of the car.

It was a lot of fun -- what's the next workshop gonna be on Scott? hahaha
Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #29
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Scott i'm a bit confused about your step 2, wouldn't switching the wires create interference with the TPMS signal? or are they the same amplitude? are you saying you are tapping the output of the TPMS module ?

We switched the wire for the starter module from the OBD connector to the TPMS connector, or as you said, tapped the output (or actually input to) of the TPMS module, instead of the OBD.

In doing some TPMS research a couple weeks ago I found that there is a tach and a vehicle speed input to the TPMS module, so once we saw the tach signal of the OBD on the scope, we then scoped the TPMS input and saw that it was a nice clean square wave with its frequency directly proportional to the RPM.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #30
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Yea, it was cool to see on the scope. The tach wire in the OBDII connector wasn't good on both our cars. But as Scott said, the TPMS input has a great tach wire. This is where we went, behind the lower passenger side glovebox. Bad cell phone pics ensue!

The purple wire there is on the good tach wire in the TPMS.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
why would they be clipping the OBD tach output and not the tpms? i have an OBDII scanner hooked up to my laptop and my RPMs are clearly visible without any problems unless thy are using a diffrent output
I have to trace the feed on the OBD connector with the EWD's to see where it is coming from, but I suspect that it is a raw analog feed, whereas the feed to the TPMS is from the ECU to the TPMS ECU, so it is a nice digital signal.

As for looking at RPM with OBDII; You are actually getting the RPM as data, so your OBDII scanner doesn't use the wire we had issues with. OBDII scanners just use the K and or L data lines and +12V and ground off of the connector. There are many other pins on the connector that may or may not be used on any given car.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
cool thanks for clarifying , i really need an oscilloscope , my old one died on me. what are you using ? i used to have the HP5400D 100MHz BW, 2 ports
After looking at the EWD's I realized that there is a tach wire at the OBD connector, but it is not the light green wire as specified by the remote starter manufacturers - It is actually the Beige wire at pin 9 of the connector, as shown in the photo below.

I just scoped it to verify. I have a Tektronix TDS2024B which is a 4 channel, 200MHz, color LCD DSO.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #33
diamy22
BoSs LadY

Drives: pearl black yaris
im looking for a remote starter myself... Any suggestions in which one should i get?
diamy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamy22 View Post
im looking for a remote starter myself... Any suggestions in which one should i get?
Although there were a few wacky things with the configuration of the UltraStart, I am really impressed with its range. I park my car in the garage at night, so my primary usage is coming out of stores or coming out of the gym. The Ultrastart has the farthest range on any i've installed (I've used bulldog, CrimeStoppers and Viper ones on past vehicles).

As you shop, the main things to look at are desired range and installation ease. Check the installation documentation (which seems to be available on all of the manufacturer's websites) to be sure that parking light flash is configurable for negative (-), so you don't have to add an additional relay to reverse polarity. Also, if you go with one that is keyless entry as well make sure that the door lock / unlock are also configurable for negative polarity.

Are you planning on self-installing?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #35
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Scott,
Awesome....too bad I wasn't on the boards or even driving a Yaris when you provided this invitation....Super cool! Maybe we can catch up for some other "cool" event!
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
Scott,
Awesome....too bad I wasn't on the boards or even driving a Yaris when you provided this invitation....Super cool! Maybe we can catch up for some other "cool" event!
Definitely. Sodium wants to do one for adding cruise control, and I'm seriously thinking we need to do one for sunroofs.