Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
dinop
dino

Drives: '07 Toyota Yaris (sedan)
Help with flip key and remote headlights.

Hi everyone,
Because I throw my car keys in the same pocket as my headphones, I've managed to destroy three pairs of apple headphones in the past year. That got me thinking about buying a flip key, that way I don't snag them when I try to pull them out of my pocket throughout the school day. I found a third party corolla flip key (ill try to attach a pic, but I'm on my iPhone so it may not go over well) and I'm not sure if its the same type of key the Yaris uses.

Also, if you can tell from the picture, the remote has a space inside for the keyless entry remote. I don't have keyless entry or an alarm or anything fancy like that. That being said, I would like to find a way to utilize at least one of these buttons to turn the headlights on (either on like a 30 second timer, or just an on/off type of thing). Does anybody here have experience wiring that sort of thing in? Or does anybody know what I need to buy to make this happen?

If that isn't possible, how about a trunk release?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.5 KB, 104 views)

Dino, VT
07 Toyota Yaris Sedan- stock, 281k, daily driver
09 Toyota Yaris Sedan- stock, 128k...parents car
95 Audi S6- alt daily driver, 5 cyl turbo, 224k
75 Triumph TR6- Current restoration project, 8k
dinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The corolla key blank is the same, and since you have an 07 you don't need to worry about compatibility of a transponder within the key.

As for the remote part, you would need to install a system on the car side for the electronics to talk to. The easiest thing is a cheap ($40 - $60) keyless entry or remote starter. Even if you don't upgrade to power locks (which is actually not hard to do, as I did so with my red 08 Yaris) you could still use the auxiliary output of the receiver to turn the headlights on or pop the trunk.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
dinop
dino

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The corolla key blank is the same, and since you have an 07 you don't need to worry about compatibility of a transponder within the key.

As for the remote part, you would need to install a system on the car side for the electronics to talk to. The easiest thing is a cheap ($40 - $60) keyless entry or remote starter. Even if you don't upgrade to power locks (which is actually not hard to do, as I did so with my red 08 Yaris) you could still use the auxiliary output of the receiver to turn the headlights on or pop the trunk.
Thank you so much! I guess one of those cheesy remote starter kits will have to work. The tricky part is probably going to be fitting the remote guts into the key fob.
As for the keyless unit, where would I have to wire in the headlights? Would I do it at the stalk? Which pins would I need to connect to? If I end up getting a keyless entry/remote start kit, I don't want it to actually have control over the horn or the hazards or anything like that, I'd just want it to operate the headlights or the trunk.

Dino, VT
Old 04-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinop View Post
Thank you so much! I guess one of those cheesy remote starter kits will have to work. The tricky part is probably going to be fitting the remote guts into the key fob.
As for the keyless unit, where would I have to wire in the headlights? Would I do it at the stalk? Which pins would I need to connect to? If I end up getting a keyless entry/remote start kit, I don't want it to actually have control over the horn or the hazards or anything like that, I'd just want it to operate the headlights or the trunk.

Some of the aftermarket remotes are small enough for the guts to fit.

To turn on the headlights you just need to ground the light blue wire, next to the pink wire, on the headlight stalk connector.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
dinop
dino

Quote:
To turn on the headlights you just need to ground the light blue wire, next to the pink wire, on the headlight stalk connector.
I just need to ground it to the body?
I can't find a kit anywhere that has the headlight feature. My friend has a volvo that does what I'm looking for. When you press the yellow button on the key fob, the lights come on for about a minute. I didn't think it'd be too hard to do, but I guess it is. I'd make my own transmitter and receiver, but I have no background in electronics. Any suggestions?

Dino, VT
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I just need to ground it to the body?
I can't find a kit anywhere that has the headlight feature. My friend has a volvo that does what I'm looking for. When you press the yellow button on the key fob, the lights come on for about a minute. I didn't think it'd be too hard to do, but I guess it is. I'd make my own transmitter and receiver, but I have no background in electronics. Any suggestions?
Many keyless entry systems have an extra button that triggers an auxiliary function. It can be used for anything from turning the defroster on to popping the trunk. That's what you would use to do your Volvo emulation.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
dinop
dino

Quote:
Many keyless entry systems have an extra button that triggers an auxiliary function. It can be used for anything from turning the defroster on to popping the trunk. That's what you would use to do your Volvo emulation.
A friend gave me this keyless entry/remote starter kit last night, and it does have an auxiliary function, put it only puts out positive power. I'm thinking of skipping the headache and putting the factory keyless entry (for the two door hb) in my sedan since the remote is shaped for the guts of a toyota key anyway. Any resources you would recommend for parts/diy installation?

Dino, VT
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
A friend gave me this keyless entry/remote starter kit last night, and it does have an auxiliary function, put it only puts out positive power. I'm thinking of skipping the headache and putting the factory keyless entry (for the two door hb) in my sedan since the remote is shaped for the guts of a toyota key anyway. Any resources you would recommend for parts/diy installation?
There's a thread on here where all of the parts required are listed. You'll have to do a bit of searching to find it. The part though are very expensive for an OEM keyless install, as you need the receiver (which is very hard to find and crazy expensive when you do) and the body ECU (which is part of the under dash fuse panel).

Tags
delayed headlights, flip key, keyless, remote, trunk release