Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
12secondscooby

Drives: 2009 yaris hatchback
2009 Hatchback Headlight level adjustment

I am having an issue with not being able to aim the headlights on my 2009 Yaris 3 door. Here is what has transpired so far:

The D/S headlight bulb (9003) recently burned out on our 2009 3-door hatchback. Replacing that bulb was a pain, mainly because of the rubber boot being stuck to the old bulb. However, I was able to get the new bulb in. I can see that the 9003 bulb is fully seated in the housing and the retaining clip is properly located against the bulb and in the housing slots.

When I took the car for a test drive after replacing the headlight, I noticed that both headlights were aimed very low, with the driver side being significantly lower than the passenger side. The Yaris is my wife's car, therefore I do not drive it that much at night and am not sure if this is a new development or a problem which existed before.

I then tried to re-aim both headlights up. Page LI-102 has the instructions for a 2008 Hatchback, here:
http://www.microimageonline.com/down...s/Lighting.pdf

Other people on the forum have described the vertical adjuster as a "white phillips head screw". My 2009 does not have a screw like this. Apparently the 2009 models received redesigned headlights with different adjusters. Here are some crappy iphone pictures of the adjusters on my wife's car (they have been significantly mangled because they were frozen):

I moved both adjusters significantly in both directions and was not able to get the headlights aim to raise vertically.

So these are my questions:
Are the adjusters pictured the vertical adjustment on 2009-2011 hatchback headlights?
If not, where are the adjusters for vertical adjustment located?
If the pictured adjusters are the correct ones, which direction is up? Is it clockwise = down, counter-clockwise = up, as indicated in the 2008 service manual?
If I reach the end of the adjustment range, and the headlights are still too low, then what?

Thanks!
12secondscooby is offline   Reply With Quote