Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #1
Beubeu

Drives: Yaris 2001 VVTI 1.0l
Radiator Fan not working..

Hello everybody !

I'm a french guy, who own a yaris 1.0 VVT-i (1SZ-FE with hydraulic power steering - 2001 - build in japan(?) - does not have the air conditionning)
After overheating on a higway (because a leak on the radiator cap) i've seen that the fan attached to the radiator is not working.

To check the fan, i've put it directly on the battery and it works, so the fan is not mechanically broken. I've disconnected a green connector with one cable near to the two hose that came from the radiator, as said in the haynes book. The fan should have been turned on with the motor cold but it won't works.
Altough i've seen that the fuse 30A in the engine fuse box is ok, i've two relay a black and a brown, i've check the black one on the horn and it works. but i don't know how to check the brown one (five pins - i own a ohm-meter...)

I can read the voltage on the fuse box but i don't have any reference, on which voltage should be on the pins.

Do you have any ideas to help me in my diagnotics, or do you have a wiring diagram for this model because the haynes's diagram is partial. Also after that overheating i want to check that my cylinder head gasket is ok (oil and water looks good, no smoke at all...)

thank you everybody, and i hope you will understand my problem with my poor level in english

Last edited by Beubeu; 09-21-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Beubeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The 30A fuse does supply power to the fan motor, but through two relays. The 7.5A ECU-IG fuse feeds the coils of both relays, so check that fuse as well.

The two relays involved are FAN NO1 and FAN NO2. The NO1 relay switches power from the 30A fuse and the NO2 relay switches the speed of the fan by switching a power resistor in circuit for low speed.

Both of the relays are in the under-hood fuse box.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Beubeu

Thanks for these informations.

I've check the fuse ECU-1G, it's ok.
I've check the relay FAN N.01 by placing it on the horn. the horn works, so for me this relay is ok.
I've mesured a voltage between 12 and 14v (depend if the motor run or not) on the highest pin (the pin the nearest form the conductor) of the relay FAN n°1, so i think the relay is powered, but i haven't got any voltage on any pin of the relay fan n°2 (with the relay fan n°1 in place). the connector with 1 cable near to the two hose that came from the radiator is still unplugged (is it the fan switch ? is it correct to unplug it to test ?)

Thank you !
Old 09-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Beubeu

SOLVED !

Hello !

I've found the answer to my problem.
In order to check the circuit you must have to plug the wire from the fan switch to the ground of the circuit, for me the fan started.
This switch is normally open, so if you don't plug it to the ground nothing happen.

So, for me, my fan switch is dead.

Thanks for the help CTScott !

Tags
electricity, fan, fan switch, radiator, wiring