Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Building Ramps and Roll-Ups

Hey guys 'n gals, I came across this DIY ramp idea online. Since woodworking is one of my fav hobbies I decided to give it a shot.

The first part of my ramps are done.

Next up will be the Roll-Ups: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kafCwzVDuI

The ramps are solid and they will be great for my oil changes, under car maintenance, etc. These should all be done before the week is out. I'll post more pics once completed.

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Nice, I made a couple of those quite a few years ago that were different heights so when I parked my truck in the driveway it would be level (I had a camper on it). Maybe I've been around to long, but I find it funny that they have a tutorial video for how to use ramps.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
have a pair made from leftover 2"x6" and 2"x4" that are 2 levels . Had 4 , but gave 2 to someone . May try to get them back . Use them for riding lawnmower to clean out the deck as well . Your 5 level are quite impressive . You may want to put a ledge on both sides of the ramps for the higher levels so tire(s) don't go off the side . Better to be safe than sorry . My judgement ain't what it used to be to align the tires with the 2 level ramps .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
You're approaching the 20 bucks ramps cost just on materials, plus the time it took to make it... I dunno. And they'll rot out in 3 years tops unless you treat them, adding to cost. I've built similar in a pinch and always had trouble with the wheels spinning dangerously because wood is too slick. I'd also like them to be a bit wider, but those should work for perfectly flat spots. Cool project but I'll stick with ramps - oh wait I just do oil changes on the ground... lol

yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
You're approaching the 20 bucks ramps cost just on materials, plus the time it took to make it... I dunno. And they'll rot out in 3 years tops unless you treat them, adding to cost. I've built similar in a pinch and always had trouble with the wheels spinning dangerously because wood is too slick. I'd also like them to be a bit wider, but those should work for perfectly flat spots. Cool project but I'll stick with ramps - oh wait I just do oil changes on the ground... lol

I wasn't actually trying to save cost $$ but to have something more solid compared to those bargain ramps you see in automotive stores. I chose to use 2x10" lumber. I work a lot with wood and can easily make them last for years (10+) it's how you finish/paint them. Been trying them out and find them easy enough to "climb" especially when done slowly while in lowest gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
..Your 5 level are quite impressive . You may want to put a ledge on both sides of the ramps for the higher levels so tire(s) don't go off the side . Better to be safe than sorry . My judgement ain't what it used to be to align the tires with the 2 level ramps .
Thanks :) As I mentioned earlier they are 2x10" wood (our wheels ave. about 8" wide or so?) and about 7.5" high. As long as you line them up straight it's quite easy to climb onto them slowly without any fear of going off the side.

bronsin, the roll-ups are the smaller/shorter ramps that your rear wheels go on to. They lift the rear end a little bit while your front end is raised by the taller ramps. Watch this youtube video around 45-second mark and you'll see what I mean. They can give more under-the-car clearance and also can help keep the car level while draining the oil.

I actually finished my version of roll-ups after work today and made use of them when I started installing my new fog lights to the bumpers.

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Cool! Wood might be $$. If you can get it free or have something left over from another project this is a good use for it. What are roll ups?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Smile Final Pics: Yaris on Ramps/Roll-Ups!

Just posting more info and photos for those who might be considering DIY'ing a set of these ramps/roll-ups combo.

The wood are well-glued and screwed together tightly, virtually solid without any fear of the wood splitting. I also added a set of handles since they are a bit on the heavy side (a good thing ) -- they sure makes it a lot easier to move around or easily dragged back into the garage for storage (I just lean them up against a wall and they take hardly any space). They still need a good final finish and fresh coat of paint so that they would last for a very long time.

Here's the final setup with the Yaris up on these homemade ramps/roll-ups:

Here are additional photos of their construction:

Front (tall) Ramps: (* Black line marks the center of wheel)

Roll-Ups Ramps: (* Black line marks the center of wheel)

Lining up the ramps/roll-ups and determining their distance from each other (front and rear wheels are approximately 97" apart measured from the center caps).

Ramp vs. Tire width, and clearance beneath the car:

All set for oil changes, fog lights, or rear sway bar, or perhaps axle back exhaust install, etc.

It took less than 5 minutes to get the Yaris elevated on ramps/roll-ups where it would've normally taken me much longer/more effort to get this kind of setup with 2 sets of jack stands, but more importantly they definitely feel much more stronger and safer while working underneath the car IMO.

Thanks for looking.

-toy

Last edited by toy_toronto; 06-18-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
I think you did some nice work there.
Regardless of the cost, sometimes the personal satisfaction of making something yourself outweighs the $$$ you could save.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
toy_toronto
always toyin'

:) Thanks Stove. You are absolutely correct about the satisfaction factor... D.I.Y. FTW!

My neighbor was actually watching me get on/off the ramps and he then finally came over and asked if he can borrow them sometime -- he also thinks they're great

Lastly, the materials cost ended up less than the cheapest ramp I saw in local stores around here. ($59.99 CAD)

cheers.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
Hershey

These are my ramps from scrap wood , not as impressive as yours but they serve the purpose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0148.jpg (263.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0149.jpg (365.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
toy_toronto
always toyin'

I still think they're 10x better than floor jacks/stands if you want to lift up the car in an instant

I realize the white looking strips are used for traction.. but what material are they?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
Hershey

it's the rubber foam that's non-slip mat for your kitchen drawers . Stapled them on . Use the non-slip for the upper glove compartments of the 3 door . Keeps sun glasses and other items from sliding around . Have another same pair of ramps , but loaned those to a relative. Plan to get those back sometime .
Old 06-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Thanks Hershey. you should get them back lol

Though I have no issues with traction, I am thinking about putting something on the surface perhaps strips of rubber mat accross each bevel/incline.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
Hershey

better to be safe than sorry . I've spun tires and burned some rubber trying to get on the ramps in past . The foam helped that . Was in low 1 too .
Old 06-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #15
Hershey

wonder if the tread from old sneakers would work .
Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #16
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Anything rubbery I think should work... which you gave me this idea.

I have few punctured/used bicycle tire tubes laying around. I could cut them and use contact cement/staples to stick them on to the beveled steps.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #17
Hershey

on the bottom of the ramps I used cut up vacuum cleaner belts that broke . That helped the ramps from sliding on concrete floor when driving up on them . Could use those those for the sloped surface as well . But longer strips . They're fairly cheap at WAL-M*RT or other stores .