Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Yaris feels bumpy on smooth road

I've been noticing that my 07 Yaris Sedan is feeling bumpier than normal on smooth roads. I bought new rims, tires, pads, and rotors and it still occurs. What else should I check?
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Did you check the suspention meaning shocks and struts? I changed my stock ones for some Teins, smooth ride, but. I I will be changing the shocks to Tokio blues soon. Check that and see what happens, good luck my dude.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
salmonz

Shocks appear fine, however, I do understand they should replaced every 50000 miles. Could it be bad wheel bearings or cv axle?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
Quaifer

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
It sounds like a suspension issue but it could also have something to do with balancing of the tires.

Are they low profile tires or did you stick with the tires recommended by Toyota?

Are your tire pressures too high? Some people like to put them up high because it gives them better fuel mileage, but it feels like you are riding on basketballs, plus wears out the middle of your tread pattern.
Quaifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Does it drive smooth on bumpy roads?
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
salmonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaifer View Post
It sounds like a suspension issue but it could also have something to do with balancing of the tires.

Are they low profile tires or did you stick with the tires recommended by Toyota?

Are your tire pressures too high? Some people like to put them up high because it gives them better fuel mileage, but it feels like you are riding on basketballs, plus wears out the middle of your tread pattern.
The tires are 15in Michelin Harmony's, the rims are the standard toyota steelies, all tires have 32 psi (or 35... whatever is on the door).

The car feels bumpy (like it's going over cracks in the road) at 20km/hr, 50km/hr, 100km/hr... nothing like how it was before where it was smooth like silk.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Have you taken it in for alignment?
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Duskin9

Drives: 08' liftback, 95' ///M3T
Are you running stock springs and suspension other than that? Are you wheels balanced correctly? and lastly are your wheels on all the way(just had to ask haha).
Duskin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
Quaifer

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
That sounds like a wheel balancing issue, you can have all new wheels but if the balancing is off then you will get vibrations at different speeds. Same thing with the rotors, sometimes they can be unbalanced and give you vibrations as well.
Quaifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
It could be both balance and shocks, take your car to the dealer and have them check it out, but make sure they check both, good luck.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
salmonz

Could it be a bent drive shaft?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
salmonz

Did some more investigation today.

Lifted the Yaris off the ground, took off wheels, rotors, brakes, etc...

Turned on the car in drive and watched driver and passenger side axles checking if they're bent.

Findings:
1) Driver side:
a. The driver side axle appears to be noticeably bent.
b. It also has some play, approx 1-2mm up and down, if you lift it up when the vehicle is not on.
c. The rotor appears wobbly too, up and down and side to side (these are new rotors).

2) Passenger side:
a. The passenger side axle appears to be slightly bent.
b. The rotor appears to be slightly wobbly, up and down. Hardly any side to side motion.

Before I go out and spend some coin on new axles (or refurb), is there anything else that could be causing this? Is possible that inside the transmission is also bent/damaged?

If I have to buy new axles, do I need Toyota parts or can I use after market parts?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
wow thats crazy .... did you get in a wreck??

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
salmonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
wow thats crazy .... did you get in a wreck??
Nope.. but it seems that way.

I think two events that may have caused this.

First - About a year ago, I hit a pothole on the highway on the passenger side. It was a loud thud and had my rim replaced.

Second - About 6 months ago, I hit a fallen light post on the driver side. I called the police and reported it. I went to the dealership a day after to get my front end inspected. Toyota said the car is as good as new.

I stopped going to the dealership because they always tell me B/S and make me pay for every little thing. Four months ago I bought new tires, rims, brakes, and rotors, and got everything roadforce balanced.

Did some research on new axle assemblies and I'm looking at $1200 for new genuine Toyota parts. If I went to the dealer, I would be charged $1500. So I may go with aftermarket.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
What happens when you replace the axles and the problem remains? You really should have a mechanic check it before blowing a wad on new axles.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
salmonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
What happens when you replace the axles and the problem remains? You really should have a mechanic check it before blowing a wad on new axles.
I think I may have to do that. Question is, which mechanic do I choose? I guess I'll roll the dice on that. Looking on eBay, there's axle assemblies for the Yaris for $90 for each side. The hard part would be to get one without damage or is not bent.

Any other suggestions/advice?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You visually inspected and could actually see that both axles were bent?

I'd like to see pictures.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
PhillyG

Drives: 2009 Yaris
did you look at your tires themselves and make sure you dont have a separated belt?
PhillyG is offline   Reply With Quote