Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #91
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
Just a few tidbits...I fear getting hit by a drunk driver head-on for the second time more than Tetanus...Fear of getting Tetanus from surface scratches caused by dirty or rusty parts (or stepping on a nail for that matter) is hugely overblown...
Oh hell yeah I fear more from a drunk driver or an idiot t-boning me at an intersection or getting mugged at gun point.

The point is that this is one measure that is preventable. There are still people I've met at the hospital that were in their 30 to 40's and still managed to contract Polio. POLIO for Pete's sake?! Cheese and Rice! That is another disease that could've be prevented. Yes, Polio and Tetanus are diseases that are more rare than car accidents. But no one wants to be that 1 person that contracted either of those, right?

Another case is that there are still kids in inner-city neighborhoods that are getting Lead poisoning. Another avoidable case. In 85% (my personal estimate) of those cases I came across, it was because the parents never thought that Lead was still on their walls! All they had to do when they moved in was just test the paint, strip the walls, and put on a fresh coat of lead-free paint that is available EVERYWHERE. But because of that same mentality in which Lead poisoning is so RARE nowadays, who would've thought that it would happen to their child?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #92
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post

If you don't mine, stick a meat thermometer in the air vent and let us know what temp you're getting when driving.
Well I checked it on my 15min way home from work. Outside air not recycled air. Fan was on 2. Temp hung right around 40 degrees.
Temp increased to 42 degrees when I turned the fan on 4.

I wish I would have taken it's temp before the mod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airtemp.JPG (62.3 KB, 330 views)
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #93
andaconda

I hope I didn't open a can of tetanus worms....
Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #94
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
Did all but the area by the pullies. I put aluminum rap around the insulating foam and lightly tie wrapped the total. In my head ity seems cooler. Wish I had done a before after. But, can it hurt?
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #95
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
The only one thing keeping me from doing this mod. Is every pic i have seen looks way ugly!. I am trying to keep my engine bay looking show quality and clean.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #96
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
The only one thing keeping me from doing this mod. Is every pic i have seen looks way ugly!. I am trying to keep my engine bay looking show quality and clean.
Instead of aluminum tape, use heat/flame resistant wire loom:

It even comes in blue, red and black.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...o%20flex&dds=1

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #97
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Here was a case where the tetanus vaccine made a lot of sense, as the soldiers were in a very hazardous environment with a high chance of contracting the disease. Do today’s children have the same odds?"
hmmm.... you should see my son's room
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #98
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
first off, i wanna say i love this idea!!!

second, how long until the evap core freezes over? i would put some a/c gauges on it every now and then to see what your low side pressure reading is, if you notice it dropping then your evap core is freezing up and will cause the system to shut off.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #99
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
first off, i wanna say i love this idea!!!

second, how long until the evap core freezes over? i would put some a/c gauges on it every now and then to see what your low side pressure reading is, if you notice it dropping then your evap core is freezing up and will cause the system to shut off.
I thought there were safety features that would prevent that? I guess someone should keep an eye on it and let us if we screwed something or maybe tweak it a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Instead of aluminum tape, use heat/flame resistant wire loom:

It even comes in blue, red and black.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...o%20flex&dds=1

That is an awesome idea. I imagine one must cut a slit in order to wrap around the lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerdot View Post
Did all but the area by the pullies. I put aluminum rap around the insulating foam and lightly tie wrapped the total. In my head ity seems cooler. Wish I had done a before after. But, can it hurt?
It should work. You be the judge. Does it feel cooler? I am noticing that I can now drive with the setting at (2) instead of the usual (3) or (4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by andaconda View Post
Temp increased to 42 degrees when I turned the fan on 4.
I wish I would have taken it's temp before the mod.
I have been noticing that as well. I am assuming that it is only blowing the air faster without adjusting temperature to the A/C; essentially more quantity and less quality?

Nonetheless, it is not too bad since supposedly you get COLDER air when set to "recirculating".
Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #100
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
That is an awesome idea. I imagine one must cut a slit in order to wrap around the lines?
That's what it tells you to do on the advertisement page.

Much nicer looking than the silver wrap, IMO.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #101
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Did mine today. I zip tied the foam as I went from one end to the other, then twisted/adjusted the foam, re-tightened the zipties as necessary and cut the ends off. I found the aluminum tape at Home Cheapo, a small roll (50 yards!) was 7 bucks and change, I saw the larger roll it was almost $15, the small roll is enough to do 20 cars at least.
I rotated the zip tie buckles to the rear before taping. As Anaconda mentioned the hot tip is to cut short pieces of tape, approx 6 inches long and wrap one section at a time, I used about a 1/4" overlap, and double wrapped the area closest to the header. IMO the header is likely responsible for most the heat warming the line, so I just did the back section across the firewall, the rest is too curvy and complicated for a clean wrap.
Half way there:

Finished:

I will check the result and see if I can feel the difference later today.
Good thread and DIY thanks guys.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #102
Dage

Drives: Yaris rs 2008
It is not a good idea. theres a reason why toyota does not did that.

I work in refrigeration and climatisation.

The temperature of the air supply must never be lower than 50 degre F.

You need 20 degre F between the inlet and supply.

Your compressor will compress liquid refrigerant and its not good for longue time life.

without insulation, you gonna have better heat transfer for refrigerant vapor compress.

So, i don't think that is a good idea.
Dage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #103
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
a/c insulation...

I used pipe insulation only on mine and also did the lower area by the compressor. For the area by the engine mount and alternator pulley I took a 3" x 4" piece of aluminum dryer vent, bent it half mooned shape, over the low pressure line and over the low pressure line. I kind of wedged it in place firmly.

I get cold air in under 3 minutes...my vent thermometer (thanks for the tip on finding that texkid!). I'm reading 38 degrees vent temperature. I did not have the thermometer before the project, but I know it was not nearly as cold.

What kind of vent temperature are those of you that have used the aluminum tape getting?
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #104
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
a/c insulation...

Correction: I took a 3" x 4" piece of aluminum dryer vent, bent it half mooned shape, over the low pressure line and over the high pressure line. I kind of wedged it in place firmly.
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #105
n00b

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
ok...guess you didn't read properly what we did.we're not insulating the refrigerant as it enters the compressor but after its refrigerated so that it doesn't warm up when it goes back to the cabin.
both of you are incorrect.

The low pressure line is for refrigerant going to the compressor. It's a good idea to insulate the low pressure line to keep the refrigerant cool as it enters the compressor. The cool refrigerant helps cool down the compressor. The high pressure line goes into the cabin. The high pressure goes through the expansion valve making it a low pressure liquid and cold. The warm air passes through the evaporator and boils the refrigerant into a cold gas.

Why is it a good idea to insulate the high pressure line? Because you don't want your engine heat to warm up the cooled refrigerant that will be entering your cabin. From the pictures posted, it looks like the high pressure line is VERY close to the exaust manifold. Basically, your condenser is cooling the refrigerant, and a few feet later, your exaust is warming it back up again!

Seriously... just do a damn google search on how a/c works. The high pressure line is the one going to the evaporator, the low pressure line is the one going to the compresser.
n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #106
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
ok... what?
Just want to make sure I got this right. Wrap only the fat tube on the top. Leave the skinny tube alone. Correct?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #107
n00b

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
ok... what?
Just want to make sure I got this right. Wrap only the fat tube on the top. Leave the skinny tube alone. Correct?
That's your choice. Wrap both if possible.
n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #108
andaconda

Man, I'm I getting confused now...