Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
amandadalton
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Starter (or possibly electrical) Problems with 2008 Yaris Sedan

Alright, so after spending the last 20 minutes scouring the forums, nothing I've read sounds quite like my situation. Basically I want to know what I should suggest to the mechanic. General advice I've gotten doesn't seem to fit, and I'd rather avoid spending more money than I need to fixing something that isn't broken!

I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris, I just had it in for a diagnostic checkup and oil change less than a month ago. I've owned the car 4 years and never had a problem. I get home last night to pick up my roommate to go to the store. Since she'd be right out I stayed in my car with the radio on, engine off, for about 10 minutes (okay she wasn't RIGHT out...). When she got to my car, and opened the door, the dome light came on, and the radio died. It came back on after a second, which I thought was strange. Then I tried to start the car and got nothing but clicks. I tried jiggling the keys, turning the car completely off and waiting, same thing. I decided to let it sit for the night, and this morning when I tried to jump it, I got nothing. Same clicking noise.

This is most unfortunate considering I'll need to do some driving for the holidays. Is there anything I can do on my own to try and fix this? Or does anyone have any advice on what to tell the mechanic?

I should mention, that I tested the battery which is keeping a charge. The lights and electronics in the car all work and are strong. When we pushed it into the back yard, the radio was going again, and out of habit I hit the windshield wipers because it was sprinkling. The wipers moved a few inches then stopped, and the radio died again. This time the radio didn't come back on on it's own, but the lights all stayed on elsewhere in the car.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

- Amanda Dalton

PS - Wouldn't you know the warranty on my car just ran out a few months ago....
amandadalton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 sedan starter, electrical, starter