Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
gubloom

Drives: Silver yaris
Which Side Tire Wears Faster

I own a 2016 model Yaris 1.5 manual hatch. 65000 miles.

I previously had 205 50 16 tires and now I have 195 50 16.

I noticed that the passenger side front tire wears much faster than the drivers side tire ? I believe this is a fact. Does not make sense but its true.

My question is which back tire wears faster passenger side back or drivers side back ? Any comments ?
gubloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I have a 2014 with 195 50 16 tires. I have never noticed a difference in tire wear concerning which side of the car they were mounted on. The fronts will wear faster than the rears, but side to side should be the same.

Last edited by NYC-SE; 04-16-2020 at 07:35 PM.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
For my 2007 and 2014, I've had more sets of tyres than I can remember. Like NYC-SE, I never noticed any difference in wear from left to right.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
gubloom

I can tell you for sure that the passenger front tire wears quicker. I understand that this may not make sense but its true. Observe your tires every 3 moths you will tell the difference. Its the back I am not sure about.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I've had 2 Yarii, and countless sets of wheels and tires between the two (mainly all on my first one). Both sides should wear at the same rate. If not, then you have an alignment problem. And if your alignment is good, then you're taking right turns too fast. Do on/off ramps mainly go to the right down there in Australia?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
gubloom

read this guys I am right

https://www.toyotires.com.au/news-an...re-wear-faster
Old 04-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Lots of different experiences here. I'll weigh in too. I have noticed more tire wear on my passenger side front tire. However, this has only become noticeable since engine swapping and turboing. The left tire is the one that breaks loose most often under boost. I don't have a lot of extra wear, just a bit, but noticeable. I try not to spin, but it does happen occasionally. As far as I know, my alignment is spot on. Tire wear is completely uniform. I'll get my tire depth gauge out and measure the difference between right and left front tires. No difference whatsoever in rear tire wear.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
The physical characteristics of the roads described in that article are true. Theoretically I could see how it could make a slight difference in tire wear, however in actual real world situations I have never seen a difference in side to side tire wear on any car I have owned. Of course I always rotate my tires every 5000 miles (give or take). I suppose if I never rotated tires and ran them to the end of their life in their original positions perhaps this phenomenon would present itself, but why would one do that?
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Hi to another Sydney yaris owner!
I bought the Yaris as a second car last time we swapped vehicles. I have only done 45000 km since I last bought tyres, and they are rotated at each service. I haven't noticed any uneven wear.

However, my previous car (mostly driven by my wife) definitely wore the front passenger tyre faster. I think this may be because she tends to take roundabouts at a much higher speed that I do. YMMV.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:31 PM   #10
gubloom

I do about 30000 km per year mainly around the city of Sydney. Lots of stop starts and lots of roundabouts(circles). I believe this is the main reason I can easily see the wear difference between the right tire and left tire, My Yaris is also manual 1.5 L engine. I dont rotate my tires as the back two are a different brand and make.

Can anyone comment on which rear side will wear quicker ?
Old 04-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Not Yaris related, but I just had my 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen in for an alignment yesterday. First, I must say that the dealership had a very good policy regarding contact. They used a key drop box with hand sanitizer etc. I was experiencing some sawtooth wear on one rear tire inner shoulder. The toe was off from spec. They made the necessary adjustment, back to spec. Camber at all 4 wheels was good with one wheel slightly out of spec. No other tires on the car showed abnormal wear prior to the alignment.

I'm not sure if the Yaris has any adjustability at the rear. Overall, I've never had any abnormal tire wear on any tires of either Yaris I've owned. Well, other than the passenger side front tire on my 2006, but I wouldn't call that 'abnormal' wear.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 04-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubloom View Post
I do about 30000 km per year mainly around the city of Sydney. Lots of stop starts and lots of roundabouts(circles). I believe this is the main reason I can easily see the wear difference between the right tire and left tire, My Yaris is also manual 1.5 L engine. I dont rotate my tires as the back two are a different brand and make.

Can anyone comment on which rear side will wear quicker ?
I would expect your rear passenger side to wear quicker then since your front one is (due to the roundabouts you mentioned). However, since you said the rear two tires are different from each other, it's possible that the one that is has a better traction rating (should equate to more grip) will wear faster since those tires generally don't last as long as tires with less grip.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post

I'm not sure if the Yaris has any adjustability at the rear. Overall, I've never had any abnormal tire wear on any tires of either Yaris I've owned. Well, other than the passenger side front tire on my 2006, but I wouldn't call that 'abnormal' wear.
The Yaris does not have any factory adjustability in the rear. I believe you have to use shims to adjust alignment.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
The Yaris does not have any factory adjustability in the rear. I believe you have to use shims to adjust alignment.
Yeah, I didn't think so. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #15
SECProto

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE
Quote:
read this guys I am right
Maybe you're right for yourself, but my tires wear at identical rates.

I rotate them every 5 to 7 months (as I use winters for 5ish months of the year, all seasons for the other 7, and rotate tires each time I put them on), and I don't corner aggressively.
SECProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #16
amypang

Drives: Toyota Yaris (XP150)
If everything is okay, most probably front tires wear a bit faster than rear tires. Tire rotation is the exact way to even tire wear. But, in your case, you have changed the size of you tire. Perhaps, this changing might be the cause
amypang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #17
Suzaku

Drives: 2008 yaris
Quote:
I own a 2016 model Yaris 1.5 manual hatch. 65000 miles.

I previously had 205 50 16 tires and now I have 195 50 16.

I noticed that the passenger side front tire wears much faster than the drivers side tire ? I believe this is a fact. Does not make sense but its true.

My question is which back tire wears faster passenger side back or drivers side back ? Any comments ?
My 2008 Yaris does the same, 1.5 manual hatch.
right front wears fastest, it has done that since I got the car ( used ) and it's NOT an alignment issue , it was aligned when I got it, and checked once sice I had it in the last 4 years.

when hard acceleration, the RF is always the first to break traction, and hard breaking, it's the first to lock up.
I've come to expect it from the car now
Suzaku is offline   Reply With Quote