Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2020, 12:36 AM   #1
scarsofcarma

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo
08 Yaris 'S' Turbo Build

Hello all, new member here. I was curious what other turbo Yaris projects are out there and was happy to find this forum. I am an ASE certified master automotive technician, former HPDE track instructor, Drifting judge/coach, SCCA crew chief, auto-x/rally-x competitor and speed shop manager. I have owned 38 different vehicles (thus far), and modified most of them.

My Yaris has a bit over 60k miles at this point. Originally this was a plain commuter/daily driver. At about 20k miles it was upgraded with a lightweight Fidanza flywheel and a TRD clutch, Intake and exhaust. When originally dyno tuned for a baseline (at about 43k miles) the car made 77whp.

The next phase was adding an OSGiken Limited slip differential, Haltech Standalone and KW Variant 3 Coilovers. To my knowledge this was the first Yaris EVER to utilize a Haltech ECU. There was a lot of back and forth with Haltech directly in Australia to work out a base map before dyno tuning. (Just the ECU upgrade added 12whp)

Less than a year after that the notion to turbocharge it really started to pick up steam. With the coilovers, standalone and LSD already installed a lot of the hard work preparing the chassis had already been done. Pulling the engine for a complete teardown while sourcing more parts was the next step.

I selected a new GARRETT GT25/54 ball bearing turbocharger for its great response and rock solid reliability. (I have previous experience with this turbo on a turbo 1.6L Miata track car.) For added insurance I opted to have many of the engine internals cryogenically treated for added durability, strength and reduced friction.

Further work on the chassis and mocking up the engine was a slow process. For example, some minor clearancing had to be done with the engine block to fit the beefy forged rods. +5mm oversized forged pistons were chosen at a 9:01 compression ratio.

'Life's Good Racing' of Livermore California handled the final engine assembly after all the prep work was complete and the custom exhaust was fabricated. Soon after it was running and driving (for the break in period) further tweaks were necessary. It was also clear it needed a better performance radiator which had to be custom made.

After that I had a hell of a time finding a dyno tuner. It seemed they were all afraid of blowing it up or else did not have the necessary experience with Haltech . Eventually FFTEC Motorsports of Hayward California agreed to do the tune. They measured 204whp @ 10.5psi on 'conservative' settings.

I plan to raise the boost a bit more, but I am proceeding with caution. I want to put more thought into the setup to be sure its ok for it. My main concern are the stock valves and valve springs, as well as the OEM intake manifold and throttle body. I feel those are likely limiting factors in terms of overall efficiency of flow in engine breathing and reliability holding higher boost. I am also thinking of possibly adding water injection.

As is though it is plenty quick and fun to drive. I am using it as my daily driver and SCCA Solo auto-x competition car. It is classed as 'Extreme Street B' in its current setup.

This Yaris is always a work in progress. Just today for example I rewired the Haltech from the engine bay into the passenger compartment. Further upgrades are planned ...slowly but surely... it's taken a lot of work to get it this far and there's a lot left I want to do.

Current Parts List

Engine Internals: (Cryogenically Treated*)
- 9:01 75.5mm CP Forged Pistons*
- Brian Crower 'Sportsman' Forged Rods*
- ARP Head Studs
- ARP Main Studs
- OEM Crankshaft *
- OEM VVTi Camshafts*
- OEM Timing Chain*
- Clevite Main Bearings*
- OEM Rod Bearings*
- OEM Thrust Bearings*

Engine Performance:
- GARRETT GT25/54 Ball Bearing Turbocharger
- Nickel Sport Toyota Yaris/Vios Turbo Exhaust Manifold (w/upgraded mounting hardware)
- Custom Made, full-stainless 2.5" exhaust system using VIBRANT pipes + V-BAND clamps.
- Varex variable flow stainless muffler
- CX Racing Front Mount Intercooler
- Go Fast Bits Recirculation Valve
- Injector Dynamics 725cc Fuel Injectors (E85 compatible)
- Aeromotive Stealth 340lph Fuel Pump (E85 compatible)
- Fidanza 8lb aluminum flywheel w/removable friction plate*
- Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
- OSGiken 'Superlock' LSD
- Custom 3 row aluminum radiator

Engine Management:
- Haltech Elite 1500 Standalone ECU
- Boomslang adapter harness for Haltech
- HKS EVC-6 Electronic Boost Controller
- INNOVATE MTX-L Wideband AFR sensor
- INNOVATE Coolant Temp Gauge + Sensor

Chassis:
- Custom Battery Relocation to trunk
- KW Variant 3 Coilovers
- TRD Rear swaybar
- TRD Short Shifter

Wheels/Tires/Brakes:
- Drag 15" allow wheels
- Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires (205/50r15)
- Cryo slotted rotors
- HAWK HPS Pads
- Custom stainless-braided brake lines

Interior:
- COBRA Motorsports racing seat
- NRG short Hub
- NRG SFI rated quick release
- OMP Suede Wheel
- Pioneer touch screen Stereo Receiver
scarsofcarma is offline   Reply With Quote