Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2017, 03:53 AM   #1
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Factory keyless entry on the L model? Yes!

First, here's a video proving it works. Put your money where your mouth is, right?

In my quest to make my L not a basic model I've already done some various things to it including adding power mirrors (prewired), making the driver window have auto up functionality, added cruise control (also prewired), and (when I purchased it) had the side moldings and rear spoiler added. Not having keyless entry pissed me off but I figured I could have it added aftermarket for not much money. However, the idea of some random idiot cutting up wires on my new car made me uneasy so I never had it done. But after I hooked up the techstream to change some setting on the car I noticed there were setting to change how the keyless entry functioned. Well, when I told it to add a remote it would error out.

Started researching information and found that the tire pressure monitor box was also the keyless entry receiver on vehicles so equipped. Looked at the wiring diagram and it was basically power and data lines going to the box so I started wondering more and more about it. Toyota dealer was helpful in my research, they gave me a part number and we found out that the 2012-1018 Yaris hatchbacks with keyless entry share the same part.

As luck had it, a wrecked 2013 LE showed up in a junkyard not too far away. Went on a rainy day so the guy there let me get a bunch of junk for next to nothing. Brought home the box (which is mounted on the driver side rear pillar under the gray trim, totally a horrible thing to remove) and finally got to installing it. I also had a new key with the built in remote like the factory keyless cars had sitting here that I figured I could use to make it work. Well, sure enough, I was able to carefully sneak that box out without pulling the entire rear interior apart, plugged the new one in, and programmed the remote. Viola! Factory keyless entry installed, working perfectly, and no idiot cutting my dash harness.

The only issue I ran into is that my China deluxe mini vci cable is not able to write data to a lot of things so I will need to either buy a better one or have a dealer/someone with a good scan tool reprogram my TPMS data into the box since it remembers the data from the car it was removed from. But since the car is sitting in the garage until winter goes away, it'll be a while before that gets done. I made sure to take a picture of the computer screen so I had the TPMS data before changing out the box so that way it will be a piece of cake for someone to reprogram without having to pull off the tires to look at the codes on the sensors.

Tomorrow I'll check and see if my wife's 2012 L base model (roll up windows but power locks are standard on them) has the options for the keyless entry. If it does, I'd be willing to bet it would be the same procedure to add factory keyless entry to it as well.

Just wanted to share my findings... shame on Toyota for just not including a bunch of these "options" on the base model car especially since us Americans get shafted on features as it is especially if you want to shift yourself. Up next on the will it work thing is going to be the steering wheel mounted audio controls but I have to buy a new clockspring, airbag, and the audio controls themselves to see if that works.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:10 AM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Good work.

Sweet K-Car visible in that video. I once owned a Plymouth Reliant.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Haha thanks. It was going to get scrapped so I picked it up. Wiring issues, zero fun.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:01 AM   #4
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
I found a used one for $150 on ebay for my '15 L. I won't buy one til April or May so I can probably find a better price.

I'm curious about the need to re-program the module. Won't the tire pressure settings between an L and an LE be pretty much the same?
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:52 AM   #5
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Well, you need a techstream to program the remote and the tire pressure system to your sensors. My cable is a knockoff China deluxe and won't write the data so I'll have to ask the dealer to program my sensors into the module.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #6
YarYarBinks1970

Drives: 2016 Yaris L Manual
Hey Karl - the - uber - driver, really curious about doing this to my -16 L 5 Speed... could we go over in detail how to do the job?

Also, do you have a part # handy for the box you installed?

Thanks !!

YarYar
YarYarBinks1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

I have paperwork somewhere with the part number. I'll have to look for it after I work on the Reliant K for a while.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
YarYarBinks1970

Drives: 2016 Yaris L Manual
10-4, appreciate the help.

Did you get the electric key at the hardware store? Also, how do you program it? (I see you need some other piece of equipment/different cable?)

Thanks!!
YarYarBinks1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Part number is 897A0-52010
Old 12-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Berry guuud, indeed!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

I got the key off eBay. You need a specific frequency (just look for one for a 2014 Yaris LE) and yes you'll need a dealer techstream tool to add the key's remote to the car.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #12
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

So, just for proof of concept, I traded in my 2013 Yaris LE a week ago for a 2016 Yaris L (long story for later...) and before I gave them my car I swapped out the TPMS boxes between the two. The local dealer reprogrammed the tpms ID codes so it would behave itself and it worked perfect using the already programmed remotes for it. So that's twice now I've done this and it worked. Now I need to find another set of power mirrors for the new car as well as a steering column from one to harvest the clockspring (spiral cable), different styled airbag, and the steering wheel audio controls. I miss having them.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
Zippy_2019

Drives: Hatchback
Factory keyless entry on the L model? Yes!

Thanks to “Dodge Aries K” I turned my daughters 2017 L base model to keyless entry and I also added cruise control which was plug and play. Only problem I am having now is registering the tire sensors. Techstream with Mini VCI cable V 1.4.1 gives a error. The new “G” chip keys programmed with no issues. Does anyone know if if cable with firmware 2.0.4 will work?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Zippy_2019; 07-17-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Zippy_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:22 AM   #14
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

If I remember right if you go to discount tire they'll reset the tpms codes to your current ones for free. it worked on my wife's 2012 so might work on the 2017! Otherwise ask the dealer nicely and maybe they'll fix it for you. And no, the Mini VCI 1.4.1 (which I have) doesn't work for the TPMS sensors.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #15
Zippy_2019

Drives: Hatchback
Thank you for the information, but Discount Tire is not in my area. I will try asking the dealer nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zippy_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
h-dogg

Late to the game in reading this and very interested in this mod for my '15 L. I had keys made at Lowes so no special chip in it. Having the convenience of keyless would be awesome. Is keyless the same as an alarm system?

All I need is:
-897A0-52010, ~$166 w/o shipping
-Remote keys off amazon or ebay
-Techstream? Ebay? If I don't have one, can I use these instructions: http://www.diy-time.com/automotive/t...ey-remote-fob/

Thanks!
h-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:36 PM   #17
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

No alarm system. But yes you'll definitely need a techstream to program the remotes. Also, you'll need to visit the dealer or somewhere with a very good TPMS tool to reprogram the module for your tire sensors.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #18
h-dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
No alarm system. But yes you'll definitely need a techstream to program the remotes. Also, you'll need to visit the dealer or somewhere with a very good TPMS tool to reprogram the module for your tire sensors.
That's good to know. Do you buy a techstream on Amazon and it works ok on Win10? Also, does it still make a sound on panic mode?

Debating if I want an aftermarket alarm or go this route.

Thanks for the info!
h-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote