Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #1
91mustang

Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
Front bumper conversion

Anyone have any advice on swapping front end from a 2018 SE to a 2012 SE?

What all do I need to get, any differences on the fog lights or headlights ?
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:45 PM   #2
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
I'm in the process of doing something similar albeit with JDM parts.

The bumper will be largely bolt on though there are likely some differences that you need to investigate

1. Toyota changed the top radiator support panel in 2017 for the final 3rd gen face lift. The 2018 bumper will still likely fit, but the only clips that will line up are the ones that attach to the front top inner headlight mounting positions. I doubt that the mounting positions that go into the top radiator support will line up - they certainly don't in the ADM version.

2. Toyota also changed the inner guard linings at some point most likely to suit bumpers. I can't confirm how they'll fit on your model, but my ADM model will have gaps in the lower inner corners where the fender linings meet the bumper.

3. Some of the clips on the bottom are probably not going to line up with some of the plastic under liner / trim.

4. Headlights are going to need to be rewired. The 2012 model comes with H4 bulbs, which are dual filament. When you switch the high beams on, the low beam circuit switches off. However, the 2018 SE model in USA has halogen projector headlights. These headlights don't have a high and low filament. Instead, the high circuit operates the projector cut off shield and therefore both high an low circuits need to work at the same time - in order to do this, you need to separate the high beam switching circuit from the 5 pin dim relay and wire it into a separate relay that can be added to the fuse box on the passenger side of the engine bay. In addition to this, you'll also need to cut and solder new plugs for the headlights to ditch the H4 plugs.

I'd highly recommend you get the wiring diagrams for both cars though for #4 and check everything over.

Fog lights are the easy part :) that just bolt up and plug in.

Hope that helps.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote