Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
Hamdhan777

Drives: Toyota Yaris TR 2009 1.33
Question Persistent P0037 Code

Hi guys,

I have a 2009 Toyota Yaris 1.33 TR. A few weeks ago the engine management light came on. I plugged in my OBD2 reader and P0037 was shown.

Thus, I took my car to the garage, who recommended I replace the post-cat O2 sensor. After replacing it, they found that the P0037 error code returned. Suspecting a faulty sensor, they replaced the rear O2 sensor again. Still, same issue.

Then, I took my car to a Toyota dealership, who said the front sensor also needed replacing as it was not sending the correct voltages. Thus, I have now replaced both pre and post cat O2 sensors. But, P0037 returns as soon as the engine is warmed up.

I always ask for the removed parts back. It appears that the previous owner installed the pre and post cat sensors the wrong way around. Strange given that the vehicle was running fine for the past 2 years.

Thus, I am now quite confused. I have new pre and post cat sensors, but the P0037 will not go away. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Hamdhan

Last edited by Hamdhan777; 08-19-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Conciseness
Hamdhan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
Brighton
Knower of little

Drives: None
Oh, that's not a fun code to chase. I don't know if it'll help but I'd get yourself a can of electrical parts cleaner and spend a good hour or so disconnecting every single plug in the engine bay and spraying the connectors out with the cleaner. Leave them disconnected long enough for the cleaner to evaporate and also leave the battery disconnected while you do this. I'd also remove and sand/clean all the ground wires you can find. That code can be caused by connections, grounds or wire shorts so it's best to do the cheap tedious stuff before throwing money at it imo
Brighton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diagnosis, oxygen, p0037, toyota, yaris