Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
eaglerox

Drives: Yaris 2009
Fuel Pump Failure

I bought a 2009 Yaris and now it has about 80,000 miles on it.

Last year I had about several gallons in my tank based on the dashboard and my car runs out of fuel and I have to call Toyota towing service to put some fuel in my car and then it starts to run just fine. Didn't consider calling Toyota to take a look at the dashboard to see if its reporting the right fuel levels.

A year later, I'm driving to Vegas and I get 3 bars on my dashboard but my car suddenly stops again! Refueled and it started to work again. Now I'm curious as to why the dashboard fuel indicator is not showing the correct levels. However, I didnt bring it in to service, thinking they'd probably charge me just to diagnose it and that I probably bought some bad fuel or that it was the road conditions?.

Finally, today I'm on the highway the car just breaks down and won't start. I finally get it towed into the dealership and I get charged an $800 bill for a new fuel pump and sending unit.

I am killing myself right now because I just passed the warranty limit on my mileage.

My question is, whoose fault is it originally that the car would report 2 bars but run out out fuel? Do I have a chance to sue Toyota for selling me bad parts that ultimately failed me later which I had to pay for?
eaglerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
You bought a car from toyota, not a bad part. I always rely on the trip odometer to keep track of fuel usage as a safe backup...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
eaglerox

Drives: Yaris 2009
Are you telling me that I cant rely on a computerized dashboard? Hello! It's 2012 chips are everywhere. What kind of world would we live in if computer chips gave us inaccurate information and we were to rely in manual data entry.
eaglerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Resistive fuel senders can be affected by impurities in gasoline, so it would be difficult to prove that it was a manufacturing defect.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
800 dollars for a fuel pump is crazy. How can it cost that much?
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
Fuel pump lists for $327 and the sender for $80, so the rest must have been labor.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
we have seen a few Yarii with FP issues. the first was DEFINITELY the sender; there was no fuel in the car and it was reporting 2 or 3 bars. The second was the pump gone bad. Not super common, but fuel pumps usually aren't with toyotas.

FYI, toyota wants an arm and a leg for most parts. some things are ridiculous
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
$1000.00 is a pretty standard charge for ANY make car around here - not just Toyota. Not sure about the Yaris but they normally have to drop the gas tank, it's labor.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Access to the pump in the Yaris is through the floor in the back. I think they have to remove the rear seat, maybe six bolts?

hey Scott, I'm sure it's standard protocol to change both, but couldn't they just change the sender (the cheaper part @ $80) and see if that fixed it? Sure doesn't seem like a fuel pump that failed.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglerox View Post
Are you telling me that I cant rely on a computerized dashboard? Hello! It's 2012 chips are everywhere. What kind of world would we live in if computer chips gave us inaccurate information and we were to rely in manual data entry.
If you want take a 2 gallon gas can with you and when the fuel gets low again drive until you run out. See what the gauge says.

I doubt a fuel gauge would tell you you had gas when you didnt. But anything is possible.

But to answer your question NO you cannot trust the fuel gauge. Not with your life or in an emergency. As a private pilot no one trusts the fuel gauges. Before takeoff you are required to take the cap off the fuel tanks and look in there to make sure you has gas because if you dont and the engine quits on takeoff you probably die.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
i would have to say its your fault for not bringing it in to have the fuel sender repaired or replaced when you first had the problem, running the car very low or out of fuel is more than likely what caused the pump to fail, fuel pumps will heat up quickly when there is no fuel to cool them. running out of fuel a few times can generate enough heat to melt the small wire that the pump motor is made out of.
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth_man View Post
i would have to say its your fault for not bringing it in to have the fuel sender repaired or replaced when you first had the problem, running the car very low or out of fuel is more than likely what caused the pump to fail, fuel pumps will heat up quickly when there is no fuel to cool them. running out of fuel a few times can generate enough heat to melt the small wire that the pump motor is made out of.
Unfortunately I agree.. Definitely your bad.. Whenever you have an issue, to cover your butt, always get it documented..

And I agree with Garm, why cant they just replace the sender and see if that fixes the problem?
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
Unfortunately I agree.. Definitely your bad.. Whenever you have an issue, to cover your butt, always get it documented..

And I agree with Garm, why cant they just replace the sender and see if that fixes the problem?
The labor to replace the sender and then later replace the pump probably isn't worth it to do two rounds. Also, they two items in question have completely different functions, so diagnosing whether both or just the sender are bad is pretty easy.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
djscaggs
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2007
I have a 2007 Yaris went on my way home from St. Louis Missouri about a 2 hour drive from where I live. The car starts to slow down on me and when I give it gas nothing happens was able to drive it for several miles before the engine light comes on and then it stops all together. I had to be towed home and since i was over the warranty I took it to a local dealer which had told me that the timing chain had probably went out because there was oil all over the engine. I didn't have the money to have a new engine put in so it has set for 2 years and now have decided to take it repaired. Took to different person and he has checked out the engine and timing belt is fine and the engine is good. But still can't get fuel to make it go. Does anyone know what the problem could be. What could be blocking the fuel?
djscaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscaggs View Post
I have a 2007 Yaris went on my way home from St. Louis Missouri about a 2 hour drive from where I live. The car starts to slow down on me and when I give it gas nothing happens was able to drive it for several miles before the engine light comes on and then it stops all together. I had to be towed home and since i was over the warranty I took it to a local dealer which had told me that the timing chain had probably went out because there was oil all over the engine. I didn't have the money to have a new engine put in so it has set for 2 years and now have decided to take it repaired. Took to different person and he has checked out the engine and timing belt is fine and the engine is good. But still can't get fuel to make it go. Does anyone know what the problem could be. What could be blocking the fuel?
Is the 20A EFI fuse in the under hood fuse panel OK, as that feeds the fuel pump and injectors?