Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Drives: 10 Yaris LB Auto- Blazing Blue
Thumbs up Official Weight Loss Support Group

Official Yarisworld
Weight Loss Support Group!

Feel free to share your weight loss struggles and successes here.
Height, weight, inches, goals, photos (before/after), etc.

DorytheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
subscribed!
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
subscribed!
Woohoo! Now we need some more people.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
dory not to be mean but, you look like chester benington from linkin park in your avatar.....damnit let your hair down!

oh and welcome back
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
dory not to be mean but, you look like chester benington from linkin park in your avatar.....damnit let your hair down!

oh and welcome back
How sweet of you. I hate wearing my hair down! But every guy likes a girl with long hair... psh

I was actually planning on changing my avatar this weekend, so there!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
My story is not dramatic at all but I am still proud of it.

2.5 years ago, at the age of 34, I quit smoking and once my taste buds were functioning properly again I experienced a newfound love of food. Many things I could not stand before I began to love, and I experimented with all kinds of food. Over time I went from being chronically underweight at 5'8" and 120-125 pounds to filling out to 140. I was already active (snowboarding, mountain biking, etc.) so the weight went into all the right places.

My wife was all for a change in our diet so as our experimentation grew we were having a grand time of it, but one day I stepped out of the shower and glanced in the large mirror nearby, and I saw my father: average build but with a gut sticking out. It caught me off guard and I was not at all happy. I weighed in at 147 pounds, my highest ever.

I had to ponder how this had happened and I soon realized that while we were actually eating much healthier than before, and we weren't eating any more often than before, that our portion sizes had steadily gotten larger over several months. We share the cooking and cleaning responsibilities but I usually get the utensils and napkins and drinks ready while my wife serves the food. I immediately asked her to cut my portion sizes by 25%.

With that diet adjustment and my activity level it only took a few weeks for me to get back down to 140, and my flat stomach came right back. I have found that I can safely go to 142, but that any additional pound over that goes straight to my gut. As such I know that I am just a few too many hearty meals away from having a belly, and that if I drop my activity level someday I will also need to cut back on my food intake.

I don't have any revealing pictures from during that time as it was during the cold months, but here's an after shot from 3 weeks ago, now age 36, reposted from another thread:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brian on a paddleboard - crop.jpg (102.8 KB, 276 views)

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.

Last edited by BailOut; 09-04-2009 at 04:28 PM.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post

2.5 years ago I quit smoking and once my taste buds were functioning properly again I experienced a newfound love of food. Many things I could not stand before I began to love, and I experimented with all kinds of food. Over time I went from being chronically underweight at 5'8" and 120-125 pounds to filling out to 140. I was already active (snowboarding, mountain biking, etc.) so the weight went into all the right places.

My wife was all for a change in our diet so as our experimentation grew we were having a grand time of it, but one day I stepped out of the shower and glanced in the large mirror nearby, and I saw my father: average build but with a gut sticking out. It caught me off guard and I was not at all happy. I weighed in at 147 pounds, my highest ever.

I had to ponder how this had happened and I soon realized that while we were actually eating much healthier than before, and we weren't eating any more often than before, that our portion sizes had steadily gotten larger over several months. We share the cooking and cleaning responsibilities but I usually get the utensils and napkins and drinks ready while my wife serves the food. I immediately asked her to cut my portion sizes by 25%.

With that diet adjustment and my activity level it only took a few weeks for me to get back down to 140, and my flat stomach came right back. I have found that I can safely go to 142, but that any additional pound over that goes straight to my gut. As such I know that I am just a few too many hearty meals away from having a belly, and that if I drop my activity level someday I will also need to cut back on my food intake.

I don't have any revealing pictures from during that time as it was during the cold months, but here's an after shot from 2 weeks ago, reposted from another thread:
Good for you! It's good to realize that you noticed your portions getting out of hand. That's where it all starts. Portion control. If people just watched HOW MUCH of what they were eating, a lot more people would be able to control their weight. It's so simple!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Yep, portions are where it's at. Years ago, I was talking to an old farmer. He mentioned some of the popular fad diets, and said they were all wrong. He said, "The HAM Diet is the one that really works." I thought, "What the hell is he talking about, the HAM Diet?" He saw my puzzlement and explained: "Half As Much." It's really true!

Hard to maintain the motivation, though!
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
But every guy likes a girl with long hair... psh
not true..
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Through my 20's and 30's I was in the 135-140 range. In my 40's I gradually creeped up to a high of 178. I'm 5' 9".

Then last year I started weight training seriously. My weight didn't change but my shape did. Right now I'm at 174.

I'd like to see what 165 looks like on me with lots of cardio and fitness training. This will probably put me in the 12% bodyfat bracket.

How long should I give myself to reach that goal? When I commit to something, I do it 100%; but I haven't mustered up the energy lately to attempt this.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Here's mine:
Pre warning, I have struggled with my weight since I was young, even to this day I am trying to drop the weight. My target weight is 180lbs, and I weight 210 now...Hopefully I can find more time to get into the gym and just drop those extra lbs.

When I was a kid, like 10-15, I had issues with weight, I believe at 16 I weighed about 240lbs, at about 5' 7'', Only for the issue to get worse throughout high school, where I stayed at 260lbs. I got sick of it mainly, because I felt like an outcast. I wanted to be active, yet never could due to my weight. So I decided to start dropping the weight, after several failed "diet plans" I decided to stop eating anything unhealthy and regulate my eating more often, then during my senior year, to make sure I had a large portion of exercise, I took two PhysEd courses, which basically interperated into 1.5hours of playing sports and running/jogging, whatever.

After high school I got a job of all places working in fast food, which didnt help my cause any, but Wendy's did offer some badass baked potatoes to curb my burger appetite. Eventually I sat around 210lbs for the longest time... I lost 50lbs and was happy, but it just didnt cut it. I had a target weight of 175lbs and wanted to get there. So after about 4 other jobs I ended up working at a warehouse distributing beer. I dont drink, so that wasnt an issue. Needless to say, I finally hit my target weight and maintained it for about 12 months before moving up north, where Mom's ole good cookin' , and a light duty job got me back up to 240, eventually I moved back down again and started working in the same warehouse again.

At this point I no longer work in a warehouse, but I started going to a gym 2 times a week for an hour a day, walking elevated on a treadmill and lifting weights, I know its not the perfect method to lose the weight, but I hope slowly I will get there, and hopefully build a good muscle tone in the process. As of last week I was hovering around 212-209 variables make it change daily.

Ill try and hunt photos to post from when I was growing up and now.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post

2.5 years ago, at the age of 34, I quit smoking and once my taste buds were functioning properly again I experienced a newfound love of food. Many things I could not stand before I began to love, and I experimented with all kinds of food. Over time I went from being chronically underweight at 5'8" and 120-125 pounds to filling out to 140. I was already active (snowboarding, mountain biking, etc.) so the weight went into all the right places.

I don't have any revealing pictures from during that time as it was during the cold months, but here's an after shot from 3 weeks ago, now age 36, reposted from another thread:

we have those lake boards in our shops here! I've always wanted to try it!

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
As for me....

Im 20, 5' 4" and at unhealthy 158 right now
I used to weigh a healthy 135 two years ago.
I stress eat especially since Im at college.

Anyways ....
Im on a mission to go back down in size so I dont suffer the effects of stretching and not snapping back!

weight loss here I come!

2 years seem forever ago .....

now:

note, my dad in fact has lost A LOT of weight.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
You still looking good
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
This is good that everyone gets to post there stories like this, I think its great that more and more people are getting into shape these days.

So my story, when i got to high school i weighed probably 160 and i don't remember height, but i never lifted a weight in my life, i wasn't really fat but i had some pudge.

I joined Golds Gym one afternoon (Sophomore Year) and started reading up on proper form and how to lift weights correctly. That 3 week mark, and i know everyone sees it too is the kicker, when you really notice your hard work paying off. Currently I am 5"10 at 185lbs(pushing for 200) with a little bit of fat on me because i've been slacking off alot lately which has to change.

People have to understand that its a combined effort of everything. You need to lift weights, do light cardio, eat correctly(not healthy, i never said that). But what people don't understand is they don't have to bust their ass to do this.

I started to realize this recently that if you are looking to gain a good amount of muscle and cut fat, you need to lift as heavy as you can, do 15-20 mins of light cardio after, and eat high protein, high carbs after your sessions. Low calorie, or high depending on what you want from it.

Key Lesson: Please do not follow fad diets, if you excersize, carbs are your best friend. You have to watch out though, too much and you will be forced to take a 2hr nap, no joke

edit* and I have thought about vegitarianism for a while, because of the whole cruelty to animals and the better digestive system, but i learnt it was just the food chain and it is what it is. Being a vegitarian is very hard to substitute a good amount of proper protein that only meat can give you. Even protein shakes that people take can't come close to what meat gives.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
raw food 3-5 days a week and +1 on the good ole SEXERCISE..i mean exercise....

btw, here in LA they do lots of bike rides...will be joining my buddy this coming fall, at least 2 times a week...heat is buggin...

@yar is...great dance move
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
OK..I'm joining....

I used to be really heavy...really heavy...

lost it all...now I'm creeping back up. I want to lose 30 pounds by next summer. Check that..I *will* lose 30 by next summer....

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Okay so here is a little of my story:

I wasn't really a heavy kid. I was overweight but not obese.
When I got into high school I gained a bit of weight, I weighed around 175 throughout all 4 years, but I slowly gained more and more over the next 5 years after graduation. I met my fiance a month and a half after I graduated high school in 2002, and like I said I was around 175. Then I kept gaining. I let go I guess you could say. Around 2006, I realized I was out of control. I began trying different diets to lose the weight. I joined an all women's gym and went religiously. I would lose 10-15 lbs. but I could never successfully keep the weight off and it just got out of hand. By 2007, I had reached my heaviest at 247 lbs. I had a sleep study done and was diagnosed with Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea and I stopped breathing 15-20 times per hour in my sleep. I was in the pre-Diabetic stages and it was only a matter of time until I became a Type II Diabetic like my dad and maternal grandmom (I have Diabetes on both sides). I had severe migraines, back problems, fatigue, acid reflux and the list goes on. I was on 5 medications a day for my migraines on top of taking Excedrine Migraine twice a day when they didn't work. I was also on medication for depression.
I was referred to a Bariatric surgeon by my family doctor to research options into weight loss surgery since years of diet and exercise were not benefiting me long-term and the odds of my health improving were not in my favor.
I opted to get Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery. I had to do 3 months of health screening before surgery, testing everything from my heart, lungs and psychiatric background, as well as my goals, expectations and fears. The day I went into surgery on June 25, 2008 I weighed in at 243 lbs. I have lost over 5 feet in inches from head to toe. I no longer take any medications and I have no health problems at all. NONE.
I am a little over 14 months post-op and I now weigh 128-130 lbs. I went from a size 20/22 to a size 3 in juniors. My BMI went from 42 to 24. My ring size went from a 9 to a 6. I never felt better, ever. In my free time I do enjoy going to the weight loss support groups with my surgeon's practice to help answer questions from people who are in the same position I was in just a little over a year ago. This has been a very difficult journey in many ways but the support of those around me kept me going. It saved my life and it's helping me help others.
I am getting married on October 31, 2009 (Halloween night). My fiance used to weigh 320 lbs. and dropped to 180 lbs. with diet and exercise alone (before I met him). So both of us lost weight, but in two different ways, so we learn from one another greatly from it. I feel extremely fortunate to have my life, my health and the knowledge now, that I didn't have before.
I hope everyone can learn from one another on here!

Same jeans I am wearing in first pic

Last edited by DorytheYaris; 09-05-2009 at 12:10 AM.