Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #19
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^this. I would triple fold an old towel and place on the jackstand so you don't scratch the pinch welds and eventually cause rust

The other place I have placed stands are under one of the control are or subframe bolts up front. Those are all solid and strong places to hold the weight of the car. You can also jack from here so you don't fold in the pinch welds
Old 10-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #20
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
^this. I would triple fold an old towel and place on the jackstand so you don't scratch the pinch welds and eventually cause rust

The other place I have placed stands are under one of the control are or subframe bolts up front. Those are all solid and strong places to hold the weight of the car. You can also jack from here so you don't fold in the pinch welds
Thanks tmontague and wee,

I found this Youtube video which is informative at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78DWeQwTWvQ . He is using a hydraulic jack to lift the front of the vehicle, a 2008 Yaris. He places his hydraulic jack under the middle of a cross member at the front of the vehicle and then places two jack stands under the two (left & right) front rocker panel lips between the two notches (where the tire jacks are normally placed). (I think what he calls the rocker panel lip may be what you (tmontague) are calling the pinch weld.)

I don't have a hydraulic lift, I just have two tire jacks that I use in the spots between the notches on the rocker panel lips.

QUESTION: Is there a way to use the two tire jacks to lift the car prior to putting the jack stands under the spot on the rocker panel lips between the notches?

Maybe the space between the two notches can accommodate both a tire jack and a jack stand. I am assuming I can't safely use one or both tire jacks under the cross member to lift the car initially -- but maybe there is some way to do this safely by slowly increasing the heights of the jack stands placed under the rocker panel lips.

Later Edit: I measured the width of the ridge between the two notches on the rocker panel lip and it measures about 1 3/4", the width of an old Honda Civic Jck that I carry is about 1 1/2" and I think this width is similar to the width of the OEM Toyota Yaris Jack under the front seat. So I doubt if there is enough room for both a tire jack and a jack stand to fit between the two notches. But, I also looked at (and felt) the rocker panel lip just behind the notched area and this area seems to be structurally the same as the area between the notches. So, I think I could jack the car up with a tire jack behind the notched area and then slide a jack stand under the notched area (or vice-versa, i.e., use the tire jack in the notched area and slide the jack stand under the area behind the notched area). I doubt if there is a safe way to use the tire jacks under the front cross member to jack up the car, the handles of the tire jacks are just not long enough for this.

Thanks,

R.

Last edited by RMcG; 10-07-2021 at 06:01 PM. Reason: To add the later edit
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #21
tmontague

Ya not enough room for both.

The yaris has no front or rear centre lift point unfortunately. Typically I use these to jack the car up and then rest the jack stands under the pinch welds carefully and with a thick towel.

In this case I use always used the frame rails at the side of the car to jack it up and then rest the car on jack stands the the pinch welds. The car is light enough to ot crush the unibody frame rails and it will actually raise both the front and rear wheels of the ground so it is easy to get the whole car on stands if you need to.

This is how I did it all the time with my track car and it ended up being a pretty quick process.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #22
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
There is a front center lift point. To use it, you really need a long handle, quick lift jack. The smaller jacks that most people have are really awkward to use on the center lift.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #23
tmontague

Imo it is so far into the middle of the car that it becomes almost unusable - even with my long handled jack.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #24
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
I just use the solid bottom piece of the transmission mount to jack the front of my car up, never had an issue.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:10 AM   #25
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Does anyone else see the mistake The op is making or am I the only one?

The OP has stated he sees in oil leak on his timing chain cover. But he also states it has been 1700 miles since the last oil change. The oil dipstick says full or even a little more than full. Therefore the leak is not significant enough to worry about.

BUT He is determined to jack up his car and go mucking about underneath the engine!

This may result in problems!

Old 10-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #26
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

The OP has stated he sees in oil leak on his timing chain cover. But he also states it has been 1700 miles since the last oil change. The oil dipstick says full or even a little more than full. Therefore the leak is not significant enough to worry about.

BUT He is determined to jack up his car and go mucking about underneath the engine!

Thanks everybody for your input,

Bronsin I am aware there is the potential can of worms you are referring to that I do not want to open up. I will likely monitor the oil level and if it does not drop, I will probably do nothing for now, especially since it's starting to get cold.

On the other hand, if the oil level drops slowly, then I will likely look into jacking the car up eventually. Perhaps it might be just an issue of tightening a bolt or two to keep a gasket from leaking. Somebody else on the forum solved the problem just by tightening a bolt or two.

Aside from the cover on the timing belt, I was also interested in the respondents input on techniques for jacking up the car for the following reason. In the future, I will probably want to check the front differential oil, drive shaft boots and the ball joints and dust covers, rather than paying a dealer or Indie mechanic to do it. I like to do things myself: it's generally cheaper and gives me a sense of satisfaction.

The car is getting old: it's over 13 years old and has about 112K miles on it. I have never had the front differential oil, the drive shaft boots or the ball joints and dust covers checked since I bought the car, despite the fact the Toyota owner's Maintenance Guide suggested doing these things thousands of miles ago. This trip to the dealer is the first time I have had it done. I only took it to the dealer, because I am starting a new job and an Indie mechanic I asked about doing the check kind of balked at some of the items like "Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis" for driving on dusty and dirt roads. I did used to drive quite a bit on dusty and dirt roads, but never primarily.

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #27
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

Some of us like to investigate things, learn more and keep our heads out of the sand.

Not sure how the OP is making a mistake here. Not inspecting the "leak" himself would be a mistake. So would replacing the timing cover seal only based off what the dealer said.

The OP didn't state he is going to replace anything, he simply wants to inspect it himself and is asking relevant question to do so in an appropriate manner. Good on him
Old 10-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #28
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I based my comments from what the OP said about the oil level. If the oil level isn’t going down the leak is not significant.

Some problems require that action to be taken. This isn’t one of them. Make your life as easy as possible!
Old 10-16-2021, 01:52 AM   #29
Mister

Drives: Yaris T1
Or you can just go full American redneck and cement a dozen concrete bricks onto your driveway and just drive and park your front wheels on the cemented bricks which raises the front of your car a bit, hehe

Basic dude stuff...................

I stole a dozen solid concrete paving bricks from an abandoned construction site and I use 2 tire jacks to slightly lift the front so I can stick a hydraulic jack in the front centre.

I then place 1 layer of cement bricks under each tyre. I will also throw in jack stands under the frame and leave the 2 tyre jacks and hydraulic jack, each taking a share of the weight of the lego vehicle.

What could possibly go wrong there?
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, dealer, leak, oil, timing