Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
Yaris review from the NY Daily news

I read the article in the DN two weeks ago and never got around to typing it out. I found this today online- Finally, someone who reviews cars likes the Yaris

The Toyota Yaris: A real gas-sipper

By Jenny White

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 4:00 AM

I tried to use all the gas in the 2009 Toyota Yaris that I had for a week, but it was an exercise in futility. After two short road trips, a week of commuting and a weekend jaunt across the state line to visit my family, I still turned the car back in with gas in the tank.

The five-door delivers more cargo flexibility and was my favorite among the three models. The three-door was adequate, but difficult for those with more than one passenger.

Standard features in the basic Yaris are few. A tilting steering wheel and air conditioning come with the entry-level Yaris, but not much more. But, there are several option packages that make the Yaris more convenient and stylish.

The Convenience package, which adds a rear-window defogger, 15-inch wheels and an AM/FM/CD audio system, is one of those “must-have options,” and keyless entry is affordably added. The sportier S trim includes dressy trim bits and AM/FM/CD audio as standard equipment.

All Yaris models are equipped with a 1.5-liter, four-cylinder engine that produces 106 horsepower and 103 pound-feet of torque. Power is transmitted to the front wheels through a standard five-speed manual or an optional four-speed automatic transmission. You won’t win any takeoffs at stoplights, but people who drive the Yaris usually aren’t into that.

Both models I drove, (the five-door and the three-door) were equipped with automatic transmissions that were adequate. EPA-estimated fuel economy with the manual transmission checks in at 29 mpg city and 35 mpg highway. These figures are among the best found in the economy car segment.

I really liked my time in the Toyota Yaris and would strongly recommend anyone looking for a compact car to check it out. Base price for the five-door hatchback was $13,305. That jumps to $16,280 with the power package.
Cox News Service
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobselectric View Post
EPA-estimated fuel economy with the manual transmission checks in at 29 mpg city and 35 mpg highway.
Either she's one of the first to tell the truth or she's been punching the gas everywhere she went

Nonetheless, the entire article is a great selling point to make more Y owners in this economy. I have noticed more and more on the road lately around town. Possible sharp YW population increase in the near future IMO

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
At this point, I don't think Toyota is concerned about the Yaris in the USA. They make more money with the Camery and the SUVs.

You notice that the Yaris commercials are more catchy in other parts of the world, where compact sales are more important.

The Yaris establishes a base for the future. Right now, the Yaris is more important in other parts of the world for Toyota. It is a great car and it will get better.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobselectric View Post
EPA-estimated fuel economy with the manual transmission checks in at 29 mpg city and 35 mpg highway
that is wrong. should be 29/36. at any rate, i would have had to be driving uphill towing something to get numbers that low. im still baffled that everyone isnt getting 40+ mpg hwy (though many are). my lowest tank in a year was 41.2 with minimal efforts.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote