Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
advocate

Drives: car
Complete Racing Seat Install Guide

Well this isn't a guide just yet but it should be when we're done because I have no idea what I'm doing so if I can figure everything out from top to bottom in this thread it will be a complete guide.

I wanted to make a new thread because I've been spamming CTScott with updates and I'd just rather have him be able to look at my posts in order to be able to make better sense of it.

Big thanks go out to Garm for selling these to MGargano and to MGargano for installing brackets / sliders and then selling them to me for a great price!

Here's some pictures of them installed:

Here's what I have done so far:

1) Took out the 8 torx bolts (4 for each set) holding the two stock seats in.

2) Unplugged every wire from the seats to the car

3) Removed the stock seats

4) Planted the new seats in over the 4 holes

5) Replaced the Torx Bolts

6) Unbolted the seatbelt buckle ends from each seat and installed them on the new seats. They are actually currently installed BACKWARDS. I'm going to have to fix this in a bit. This was throwing me off for a while.

Things left to do:

1) Remove the magnetic sensor from the stock seats and attach it to the new drivers seat

2) Install the airbag module from CTScott for the passenger side seat

3) Possibly reflash the seat ECU at Toyota dealership

What I currently need help with is step 1 of things left to do. Here's a picture of the magnetic sensor. If someone knows how to remove it I would appreciate some advice.

Here's a picture, it's the piece that has a bunch of black fins on it:

And here's some information I've compiled so far:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18032
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18742

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott
OK. To break it down into the separate issues:

1. Passenger seat - Little black box (passenger occupancy ECU) still needs to be there, as the black connector is the link between the passenger seat belt connection and the SRS ECU. The passenger airbag light will still be on and the seat belt light will flash, due to the passenger occupancy ECU not seeing the seat sensors. That's where my module comes into play. It connects to where the gray connector plugs into the passenger occupancy ECU and keeps the ECU happy so that the passenger seatbelt light will function properly and the airbag will be on or off based on the switch position.

2. Driver's seat - There was a device attached to the side of the rail on the driver's seat. It senses the position of the drivers seat to make sure that short people (like me) don't get their heads ripped off when the airbag pops. That device is attached magnetically to the driver's rail and can easily be moved to the same general position on the aftermarket seat rail. That will cure the driver's side seat belt light issue, but the main airbag light on the cluster will remain on until you install the bypass module, as that light indicates that there is an issue with the SRS system, so it won't go off until the SRS is completely OK.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
advocate

Update: I unbolted both seatbelt buckles and swapped the sides.

Current setup:
Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
advocate

Getting the driver side magnetic sensor off the original seat:

Step 1) Peel off black cover towards the right side of the car

Step 2) Use an allen wrench to get the bolt out holding magnet to the car

Step 3) Pull magnet off car

Picture of the connector to plug back into car:

Step 4) Attach magnet to SLIDING part of the seat to recreate seat depth sensing ability of original seat. Also plug it in to the car.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
advocate

The problem is now I'm stuck again. The airbag light is still on.

Is there something still on the seat that needs to be put onto the new seat besides the magnetic piece?

I have these extra pieces that I didn't use:

The thing the screw screws into is still on the metal piece under the seat that the magnet was originally attached to.

The screw with the allen wrench socket on top and the black cover are unused as well.

Do these pieces belong anywhere specific?

Last edited by advocate; 11-15-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You're not going to get the airbag light to go off until the SRS system is completely happy, which will only happen by either putting the passenger seat back in with it's sensors connected, or using my Passenger Occupancy Sensor Bypass Module.

The driver seat belt light, I believe should now go off when you buckle, but the passenger one feeds into the passenger occupancy ECU, and that ECU will stay in an error state until you do one of the above.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
advocate

Okay so right now:

1) My driver side seatbelt warning is working again. The driver side seat belt warning light works correctly and turns off when I connect the seatbelt.

2) The passenger airbag is always off. The passenger seatbelt light is always blinking.

3) The driver side airbag light is on.

So the next step is to get your airbag module and that will fix:
1) passenger seatbelt / passenger airbag
2) driver airbag

Is this correct?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
Okay so right now:

1) My driver side seatbelt warning is working again. The driver side seat belt warning light works correctly and turns off when I connect the seatbelt.

2) The passenger airbag is always off. The passenger seatbelt light is always blinking.

3) The driver side airbag light is on.

So the next step is to get your airbag module and that will fix:
1) passenger seatbelt / passenger airbag
2) driver airbag

Is this correct?

Correct.

Although, for clarification, it doesn't actually fix anything with the driver's airbag. That indicator light is the warning light for the entire system, so it will go off once #1 is resolved.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
advocate

Just wanted to bump this post and say the project is complete. CTScott's airbay bypass module works wonderfully, shipped fast, and installed incredibly easily. Once it's in this DIY is officially finished.