Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Nihau
I've made a post!

Drives: Looking for the right one
Smile Is a Yaris right for me?

Hello Yaris World!

So here's the deal: I just got a new job that will require a good deal of driving so I'm trying to find the right car. The fuel efficiency, styling and price of the Yaris really appeal to me. I also remember it being really peppy. I've liked Yaris' for awhile now, but I'm not sure its the right car. So please tell me if you think a Yaris would be good for me or if I should suck it up and buy a less efficient vehicle...

I live in Colorado and will spend most of the time driving in the Denver/ Boulder areas, but I will be driving to the Western Slope a couple times a month or less year round (so over 3 mountain passes, steep, curvy and just mountainous in general and snowy/ icy depending on the time of year about a 3 hour drive each way). Also I have an affection for time spent in the mountains which often includes hiking in new areas reached by dirt roads.

So that's it. Do you all think this is too much for a Yaris or would I be just fine? I'm used to a honda civic and it has been fine, but I also worry I'm abusing the car and should just buy a more mountain ready car.

Thanks Yaris World
Nihau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
The yaris should be fine if your main concern is fuel efficiency. Also, i live in the northeast so we get a shitload of snow as well, and my yaris took this past winter like a champ.
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I drove mine from NJ to AK last summer! See the picture of the dead moose in my avatar? The deaTH of that moose didnt phase my Yaris at all! Thousands of miles of dirt roads! and I got 42-44 mpg on Canadian gas!

Compared to that YOUR driving conditions are childsplay!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Comments from a fellow Coloradoan:

The hills will lower your mileage but you should still hit the rated value.

If you can drive a manual and one is available for purchase, get it, you will need it around here.

Do not take the Yaris on snowy roads without proper winter tires.

I also own a Jeep and if I had to drive over mountain passes in the winter, I would never take the Yaris. Just my opinion of course.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
While a bit late based on your post date, I wanted to chime in. My main considerations for a daily driver landed me squarely in the Yaris camp. Sure, the basics of commuting and grocery-getting make the Yaris perfect in this respect, there is also the consideration of road trips on the cheap to consider. Imagine 40+ mileage on the Interstate. Who would not like this? With the overall economical efficiency of the Yaris very close to the hybrid range, I consider this a winning situation.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote