Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #19
dybbuk

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I know my '08 turns something on when I set it to defrost, I can hear something kick on. Anyways, what SD said, turn off recirculate, you need fresh air. I get heavy frost in mornings here, and while I haven't had winter conditions yet, I sure haven't had any problems defogging the frost.
dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #20
Callisto

Drives: '08 Hatch
+1 on opening the vents. You are putting a LOT of water into the air just by being in the car while you perspire and breath. Human beings have one of the best natural temperature regulation systems on earth, but it burns through a LOT of water. If you have water in the air on the inside, raising the relative humidity, and the temp of the outside glass is below the dew point of the air inside, bingo, you get "fog." Simply, you are putting more water into the air than the cold air next to the windows can handle, so it condenses into liquid water on your glass. Bringing in air from outside equalizes the relative humidity with the great outdoors.
Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #21
stran

Drives: '07 Yaris 3D HB Auto
i know my A/C turns on in the defogger mode. i started a thread on trying to unlink the A/C from the defroster in the DIY forum, in case you're interested.
stran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #22
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
What's that white stuff all over the car in that photo?
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #23
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
We had some snow flurries and icy roads in Wisconsin this evening. There was
something like 27 accidents in an hour during rush hour. I guess winter is here....
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #24
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
you need to use fresh air mode when defrosting the windows,not recirculate.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #25
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydisrock View Post
you need to use fresh air mode when defrosting the windows,not recirculate.
+1
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #26
ToddR
Bacon!

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog99 View Post
What's that white stuff all over the car in that photo?
I think it's called "ash" in SoCal.
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #27
bnther36

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Well, I tried the 'fresh' air as opposed to recirculate and guess what...NO FOG!

My thanks to all that helped. Ice is bad enough, but icey roads and foggy windows makes for a really nerve wracking ride.
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #28
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
i agree with this i have never had this much problem with fogging till this car.

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #29
dybbuk

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Agree with what? He solved his problem. What's yours? :P
dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #30
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportin83 View Post
i agree with this i have never had this much problem with fogging till this car.
You have to select the fresh air setting in order for the defogger to work correctly.

The little diagrams on the car's ventilation switch make that perfectly clear, as does the owner's manual and good sense.

The defogger in my '09 Yaris works at least as well as any of the other 15 or so cars that I've owned.
09TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #31
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
Hey guys.. know this is an old thread but bringin it back to life. The inside of my windows have been fogging up bad as of the past few weeks on my daily commute to work. I have it set to 'fresh air', not 'recirculate'. Temp is on the warmest setting, vents are all open and directed to the side windows, and fan is on high. Even after driving for almost 30 minutes, its my rear side windows that are fogging up terribly. To the point where I can't see out of them whatsoever. Not sure what the problem is here but maybe I need to to try this turning of the AC on manually as this is the one thing I just read here I have not tried.
white_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #32
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
The past couple weeks every day driving the vehicle, the rear side windows have been fogged up beyond belief. To the point where I have to put the windows down to reverse into a parking spot.

Have tried everything from ensuring the switch is set to fresh air, direct the air vents towards the side windows, push the AC button on, and even crack all the windows slightly.

Long story short I may have found the problem today. Emptied out he entire hatch including the spare tire, to find a huge puddle of water frozen in the centre lowest section of the hatch (under the spare tire). There was also some water on the floor surface area by the drivers side tail lamp.

Dried everything up and ensured the black rubber grommet was in place on the hatch floor. Not sure at this point how all the water is getting into the hatch but I do believe this explains the window fogging.

Will keep posted.
white_rice is offline   Reply With Quote