Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Yaris Ripped On (Again)

Why does the auto press hate the Yaris so much?!?

From an article titled The Most Value-Packed Cars...

Quote:
Of course, a low initial price doesn't guarantee a good value. The $11,965 Chevrolet Aveo, $13,255 Toyota Yaris and $13,320 Ford Fiesta, for instance, all cost less than the $14,180 Mazda2 and the $20,825 Honda Element--both of which made our list. But their relatively high depreciation rates and proportionate repair costs shot their overall cost of ownership much too high to qualify as good values.
High depreciation rate? Wait till gas prices surpass $4/gal, then we'll see how much our little Toyotas hold their value!

And proportionate repair costs? I've had mine for over two years, and other than oil changes (which I do myself) and getting the tires rotated and balanced (for free from my local Discount Tire), the only money I have had to put into my Yaris is for gas! (Note I said 'had,' as everything else I 'wanted' to buy for it! ).

All I've got to say is Forbes and their "opinion!"

Cheers! M2
Old 03-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Yaris240

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 3d
I think high depreciation rate refers to the Chevy Aveo. I read at GMI the new Ford Fiesta already has issues of failed dual clutch auto transmissions.
Yaris240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
In Canada the Yaris is near the top of the list for lowest depreciating vehicles, top 10.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Wonder how much money i'll save driving the Yaris instead of a vehicle that only gets 20mpg, averaging 15K miles or 20KKms.
Probably enough to cover the original cost for the car eh!
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Coming up on 100,000 miles in four years. Other than oil changes, a set of tires my yaris has cost me nothing other than gas and payments. In fact I still have 65% of my front pads and rear shoes left from the orginial brakes that came with the car. Most inexpensive car I have ever owned. Now with gas prices going up I'm sure glad I'm not feeding a full size pickup.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
as an aveo owner, im sure they're talking about the aveo for the depriciation and high maintenance.

high maintenance costs, you ask? oil changes 5000km vs 8000km in the yaris. timing belt at 100,000km, transmission at 70000km (auto), coolant at 70000km or 80000km as well....

but other than the regular maintenance, i havent had any real issues w/ the aveo
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wonder how much money i'll save driving the Yaris instead of a vehicle that only gets 20mpg, averaging 15K miles or 20KKms.
Before buying the Yaris in 2007 I made a quick setup in a spreadsheet listing the cost of sub-compact economy cars, cost of gas for 100,000 miles assuming average published MPG, cost of listed scheduled maintenance and cost of insurance as a ratio of the MSRP, to arrive at total cost per mile of ownership. The Kia Rio was cheaper by less than 1%, and and others were more expensive by several percent. Overall the Yaris is lowest total cost combined with good quality (the Kia lacks reputation for quality).
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
A couple weeks ago MSN gave the sedan a great rating for overall cost of ownership for 5 years.

Now I can't find the stupid article.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I traded my 05 Subaru Forester XT for my used 08 Yaris. The Forester got 20mpg on average, but required min 91 octane for the turbo. The savings in gas was about $150 over 1700 miles in the first month alone.

The formula I used for this calc assumed that 91 gas cost only $0.20 more than regular, which isn't always the case (it's usually more).

Plus, the Yaris is 3 years newer and the Forester had already started requiring major repairs / maintenance (timing belt, water pump, radiator, hoses, power steering pump, oil cooler seals, $1800 moonroof repair).

I think in general, when it first came out, the Yaris was not considered the best bang for the buck for the "nanny crowd" when the competition (Fit) was including ABS, side airbags, and whatever else in base models for a only couple grand more.

The media is pretty disconnected from real life people, IMO. Sometimes people can't afford nor want to spend a couple grand more to have ABS, traction control, etc.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Sorry guys, but the way the article is written implies that all the aforementioned vehicles suffer from high depreciation rates and proportionate repair costs...

Quote:
Of course, a low initial price doesn't guarantee a good value. The $11,965 Chevrolet Aveo, $13,255 Toyota Yaris and $13,320 Ford Fiesta, for instance, all cost less than the $14,180 Mazda2 and the $20,825 Honda Element--both of which made our list. But their relatively high depreciation rates and proportionate repair costs shot their overall cost of ownership much too high to qualify as good values.
It would not list them all if it only referred to one.

Well, as I said, Forbes! The Yaris is an excellent value for the money and based on all the firsthand feedback from owners on this site it is clear to see how off-base they are in their analysis!

Just to add, I read a lot of owner reviews on the Yaris before I bought mine, and the vast majority (I would say 98% or better) loved the car. Yes, it has a few "issues;" but for the most part the remarks were very favorable.

However, the "professional" reviews were not so positive; but how much faith can you put into someone's opinion who 1) didn't spend their own hard-earned money on their car, and 2) drive a wide variety of vehicles for usually brief periods of time to make their assessments? It would be the same if Jeremy Clarkson gave it a bad review (actually, Top Gear gave it pretty good remarks); you have to put it in perspective that the man normally drives £200,000 supercars most of the time.

As for my Yaris, it's a great vehicle that does everything I ask of it. What more could a person want?!?

Cheers! M2
Old 03-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
They were paid by American car manufactures to talk badly about them. lmao ;)
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
Sometimes people can't afford nor want to spend a couple grand more to have ABS, traction control, etc.
its those items that will make it depreciate faster

my yaris came without a/c (or abs or traction control)....would you pay $7000 for it? it's a 2007 with 70000km (43000 miles)
Old 03-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I think part of the issue is that they summarily dismissed the least and most expensive of the lot to target the "reasonable deals".

It is Forbes though, so I'm not surprised to see them dis the lowest priced cars out there to feed their attitude that the more you spend the better car you'll get.

Nevertheless we all know the truth. The Yaris beats them all hands down.

Last edited by Altitude; 03-04-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
It is Forbes though, so I'm not surprise to see them dis the lowest priced cars out there to feed their attitude that the more you spend the better car you'll get.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Overall it isn't good for the car companies to sell a whole lot of cheap cars when they can get magazines to write articles about why people should buy the more expensive ones. They know the broke people buying the cheap cars don't have any choice as to whether to move up to a more expensive car anyway. Nor would they be reading a Forbes article. So those people are already locked in for the most part. It's the disposable income demo that they don't wanna push into buying the aveo, fit, yaris, etc with raving reviews.

It's like, "No, no you don't want one of those "costly" fuel efficient cars... you want a Camry".

EDIT: Honestly I think some of you are too protective of the Yaris' image. So everyone doesn't love them. Oh well.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote