Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Accurate fuel fill without topping off?

Traditionally, on my cars I've always had a standard procedure for ensuring an accurate fuel fill. Run the pump till it auto-stops. Top it off. Bounce 15 times. And then top off again. However:

1. Topping off results in increased pollution from vapor.

2. I've read on this forum that topping off the Yaris can cause problems with the canister/vent system. (Is this true, I wonder?)

3. Topping off the Yaris involves tediously putting in over a gallon of extra fuel, which takes a while and is a real pain in the cold and wind.

4. The way the filler is designed, it's hard to top off without getting fuel on the paint every time.

So... is there a better way to do this while preserving accuracy? I travel a lot, and so always using the same pump is not possible.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Steve:

The error in fuel mileage calculation due to the degree to which the tank is filled should be minimal over several tanks of gas. The error should cancel itself out over several tanks.

I have read the same thing that you have about how over-filling can be harmful to the fuel evap system, so I stopped doing that. When the pump kicks off the first time, I remove the nozzle.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
You should never top off gas. Your going to destroy the charcoal canister.

1. you're paying for gasoline you aren't using, as it is sucked back into the pump's vapor recovery system

2. gasoline can drip from the nozzle onto your car or on the next customer. not only will this damage the paint and leave you or your car smelling like gasoline, these released vapors aren't recovered go into the atmosphere. (besides a slight fire risk...)

3. gasoline vapors are unhealthy to breathe. (known to cause cancer)

4. topping off your car's fuel tank may cause fuel to enter your car's vapor recovery system (charcoal canister), poisoning it and causing it to be unable to function properly, which may get you a check engine light on your car besides putting out more emissions and costing you more money to repair it.

4. As the temperature changes, your fuel needs somewhere to expand to. If you top off your tank, this expanding fuel/vapor is forced into your vapor recovery system (see above).

So in the end its not at all worth it to top off your gas. Thats why at the gas stations they have signs everywhere saying not to do so.

I would just run the pump till it clicks and stops. Hang the nozzle back up and put your gas cap back on. Any discrepency will be so minute. If you want to get the most true acurate readings i would suggest purchasing a ecometer. Then you can graph your monthly mpg adverage there will be less likely error over longer period of time. Maybe 2 percent.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
Steve:

The error in fuel mileage calculation due to the degree to which the tank is filled should be minimal over several tanks of gas.
True enough. I do like to have accurate readings over the course of a tankful because I can more easily correlate conditions with mpg. But as I gain more trust in my Scangauge II, that may become less of an issue.

But it is nice to have that extra gallon of fuel, and the extra range it represents.

-Steve
Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
1 click of nozzle at full speed of fuel . Try to use same pump at each fill . The ECO-METER has been off by about .5 since less need for idling in morning to defrost windows . More the idling the wider the margin from calculated m.p.g. .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
I stop at the first click, I fill at the first click on the pump handles so its slow. The wide open click on the gas pumps tend to vary a lot. The slowest doesn't vary much from station to station.
Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

That's been my assumption, that the slow fill is more reliable. So I fill it wide open till it clicks off, wait a few seconds for the bubbles to clear out, start it back as slow as it will go and let it click off once more. Never adds more than about 1/10 gallon, and seems to be consistent.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I always just fill on the slowest setting and stop at the first click, then turn the nozzle upside down to get out anything left in it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post

1. you're paying for gasoline you aren't using, as it is sucked back into the pump's vapor recovery system
ummmm where do you think the vapors go ? they don't vent to the outside

they vent......into........the intake.

so, no one is paying for any gas they do not use.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
ummmm where do you think the vapors go ? they don't vent to the outside

they vent......into........the intake.

so, no one is paying for any gas they do not use.
Maybe you misunderstood im talking about the vapor recovery portion of the gas pump when you pump the gas.

http://www.sbcapcd.org/edu/dtofactsheet.pdf
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
sbergman27

Hope you don't feel I'm picking on you, YarisSedan. I appreciate you response. But I can't help commenting upon this lovely public service publication aimed at the general public.

There's more than a bit of propaganda in that link, mixed with some valid points. But I'll just put some numbers on one of the points mentioned.

After the first click-off, the Yaris tank can still hold another gallon of fuel. (Slightly more, but let's keep the numbers round.)

One mole of a gas occupies 22.4 litres at standard temperature and pressure. The average molecular weight of (the components of) gasoline is 108. So 22.4 litres of gasoline vapor weighs 108 grams. That's 4.8 grams per litre, or about 18 grams per gallon. Liquid gasoline weighs about 3000 grams per gallon. So the lost vapor from the top off works out to about 1/170th of a gallon. Hardly enough to break the bank. It's worth about 1.5 cents. So if you're the sort who bends down to pick up pennies and takes them home to put in a jar then this might be significant to you. Note, however, that likely about half the vapor is captured by the Yaris' capture system. So you're probably only saving about 3/4 of a cent, in reality.

Another amusing highlight from the link is this:

====
I picked up the nozzle and gas spilled out. What should I do?

It’s likely that someone before you topped off a tank and caused this problem for you, and the damage is done. The nozzle may still be able to function properly, but if
you notice any more problems, tell an attendant at the station, and use a different pump.

====

Because after such abuse as the thoughtless sociopath in front of you at the pump has inflicted upon it, the nozzle may not ever be able to function again... :-0

-Steve

Last edited by sbergman27; 03-18-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
How can I reduce my risk of breathing gas vapors at
the station?

Use the nozzle’s hold-open latch to pump the gas
continuously, and stand upwind (but stay close enough
to monitor it). Always remember to remove the nozzle
before driving away
– and be sure to tighten your gas cap.

Ha ha

I started to fill my tank and there’s a strong smell of
gasoline. What should I do?

Tell an attendant at the station, and to report a problem,
call the APCD at 961-8800.
Attached Images

Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Is that Pam after the breast reduction?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:

1. you're paying for gasoline you aren't using, as it is sucked back into the pump's vapor recovery system....
This is true in California, but the OP lives in OK, where they don't have the gas pump vapor recovery systems like in Cal. gas stations (I think).

By the way, the extra room in the tank is meant to leave room for expansion and sloshing, and to prevent the flooding of the charcoal canister (part of the car's vapor recovery system). So it's not a good idea to overfill the tank.
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Maybe you misunderstood im talking about the vapor recovery portion of the gas pump when you pump the gas.

http://www.sbcapcd.org/edu/dtofactsheet.pdf
yeah I misunderstood. I used a weak pump once and gas poured out
of the coaxial line onto my paint from the dub who gassed up before me
and it got sucked up the hose, but not all the way
Old 03-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
Banned

heh
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Filling to the very top is nice if you have all the time in the world. Plus you are hauling the weight of that extra fuel. Keep track of all your gallons and divide it into a total mileage from your odometer and the refill amount won't mater. Base it all on the mileage from your next fill up. Reset the B trip odometer and keep all your gas receipts. Then add up all the gallonage and divide that into the trip B reading. Changes in driving habits, traffic patterns, weather, etc... will all blend in.
doc
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

It'll still clog up your charcoal canister.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote