Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2023, 07:07 AM   #37
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Just a tip for anyone wanting to push fittings on plastic tubing, you can use a caulk gun and a wooden clamp to press them on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4656.JPG (344.8 KB, 62 views)
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:45 AM   #38
Pasable

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
That's a great idea but it won't work it in this case. The fitting is part of the wide round top of the housing and wouldn't fit in the caulk gun. The best thing would be to combine both ideas and use the squeeze clamp with a fabricated wooden clamp to hold the tube.
Pasable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:45 PM   #39
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
I am happy for the revival of this thread, I have completely forgotten that I probably should change the fuel filter on my 2009 which has over 250,000 miles on it. I am quite certain I will find a way to get a filter in there, but my concern is getting a reputable filter that fits a 2009 1.5 American model. I saw a Herko brand on ebay but after multiple emails getting NASA (Never A Straight Answer) answers to very basic questions, I gave up and forgot about it. I am concerned that going with a no name brand from a relatively new company, I will be left with a not-up-to-par filter with a poorly fitting housing. I am concerned about the filter media itself. I don't want to find out that it disintegrates or collapses on itself. Has anyone done this on a 2009?

EDIT: What I mean to say is, I'm a cheap guy. I'm NOT buying a 200 buck fuel pump setup to replace what should be a $30 filter. I wouldn't risk getting a new pump that might fail sooner than the oem that's currently in there. I'm looking for someone who might know a decent aftermarket filter that I can make work in my oem. Interesting on getting an 07 pump to use that cheap filter, but would rather keep my pump, you know? :-) Maybe I could somehow dig out the old filter media, leave it empty and attach an oldschool filter somewhere on the firewall. THAT would be cool.

second edit: I think I'm going to have to do this twice. My car is an 09, but made in August of 08. Apparently there are differences between 08 and 09, and sometimes my luck is good... I'm going to remove my pump soon disassemble it and take photos and put it back and just buy a filter and do it again when it comes in. I gotta clean out my back seat, anyway...

Last edited by mirageman; 02-24-2023 at 10:59 PM.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:37 PM   #40
mirageman

The fuel pump/filter assembly has been removed today from my 2009 model year 1.5 liter American sedan which was made in Japan in August of 2008. It wasn't very hard at all to remove. I used a flathead screwdriver and hammer to tap the retainer ring off. I was excited to see the port locations (see pictures) of the main filter matched what I saw here in this thread from the other poster's 2008 model. I thought the Beck/Arnley part would fit mine, but I misunderstood his picture as being the new part. I still don't quite get it, though. I thought 2008 filters were different from 2009, but my filter looks just like the picture from the 2008 used here in this thread. I think the same guy maybe posted pictures on Amazon too for the Beck part, but the pictures of new Beck Arnley 043-3008 and oem do not say which is which, hehe... I guess I'm going to have to keep looking for filters online that matches mine. I am a bit concerned because I covered the open hole (which the wire plug for the pump goes through) and blew into the big hole where the pump slides in and all this blackened gasoline got spat out. You can see it pooling in the port in the picture and also on the white table in the other picture. That is gasoline that goes to the engine out the top... Why is it black? I could see blackened crap flowing around the inside of the filter housing when I was blowing through it too. I was able to blow through it pretty easily, very little resistance, and after all that dirty gasoline came out, it actually got harder to blow through. I've come across this with other fuel filters and am not sure of the physics behind it being easier to blow through when it is soaked, but anyway.... Putting it back in the tank was harder than taking it out. I was very concerned because the screw retainer ring thing would not seem to tighten squarely. It was looking very crooked and felt very wrong no matter how much time I spent trying to get it right.
I read about another person complaining of the same issue and saying that it works out eventually, and it did for mine too. After like half a turn, it kinda seated square, and I still can't wrap my head around it. I think when I replace the filter sometime by summer, I will try to put the retaining rign on without the pump and seeing what the heck is stopping it from going on nicely. Seeing as there is very little resistance through this filter despite it having over 250,000 miles, I am not in any rush to get a filter, but if I find one that is reasonable in price I will certainly post here to help others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (79.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (475.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (535.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (77.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (81.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (566.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-07-2023, 04:30 AM   #41
oilpress
oil press,oil mill,oil

Drives: happy
We are <a href="https://oilpresssite.com/knowledge/btma-four-faq-about-payment-and-delivery/">oil mill industry</a> in China , with more than 20 years experience.<a href="https://oilpresssite.com/knowledge/the-national-soybean-oil-price-market-is-on-an-upward-trend/">oil mill with filter press price</a>

we specialize in producing <a href="https://oilpresssite.com/knowledge/the-latest-market-forecast-trend-of-national-soybean-oil-prices-on-march-19-2021/">oil expeller cold press</a> and other <a href="https://oilpresssite.com/knowledge/something-you-didnt-know-about-soybean-oil/">oil press extraction machine</a>,We are the leader of <a href="https://oilpresssite.com/knowledge/btma-what-is-the-prospect-of-oil-press/">oil press equipment</a> with full experience of more than 20 years, if you have need for the machine, please contact us any time.<a href="https://oilpresssite.com/knowledge/btma-how-much-do-you-know-about-the-cooking-rapeseed/">oil mill website</a>

There are many article:click them,you will obtain more knowledge:www.oilpresssite.com
we specialize in producing screw oil press and automatic oil press,and hydraulic oil press and other auxiliary equipment,We are the leader of oil press and oil press line with full experience of more than 20 years, if you have need for the machine, please contact us any time.
Our oil press can be used for various oilseed and has high oil yield rate . We guarantee to offer you the best quality and service with the most favorable price.
oilpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:29 AM   #42
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirageman View Post
The fuel pump/filter assembly has been removed today from my 2009 model year 1.5 liter American sedan which was made in Japan in August of 2008. It wasn't very hard at all to remove. I used a flathead screwdriver and hammer to tap the retainer ring off. I was excited to see the port locations (see pictures) of the main filter matched what I saw here in this thread from the other poster's 2008 model. I thought the Beck/Arnley part would fit mine, but I misunderstood his picture as being the new part. I still don't quite get it, though. I thought 2008 filters were different from 2009, but my filter looks just like the picture from the 2008 used here in this thread. I think the same guy maybe posted pictures on Amazon too for the Beck part, but the pictures of new Beck Arnley 043-3008 and oem do not say which is which, hehe... I guess I'm going to have to keep looking for filters online that matches mine. I am a bit concerned because I covered the open hole (which the wire plug for the pump goes through) and blew into the big hole where the pump slides in and all this blackened gasoline got spat out. You can see it pooling in the port in the picture and also on the white table in the other picture. That is gasoline that goes to the engine out the top... Why is it black? I could see blackened crap flowing around the inside of the filter housing when I was blowing through it too. I was able to blow through it pretty easily, very little resistance, and after all that dirty gasoline came out, it actually got harder to blow through. I've come across this with other fuel filters and am not sure of the physics behind it being easier to blow through when it is soaked, but anyway.... Putting it back in the tank was harder than taking it out. I was very concerned because the screw retainer ring thing would not seem to tighten squarely. It was looking very crooked and felt very wrong no matter how much time I spent trying to get it right.
I read about another person complaining of the same issue and saying that it works out eventually, and it did for mine too. After like half a turn, it kinda seated square, and I still can't wrap my head around it. I think when I replace the filter sometime by summer, I will try to put the retaining rign on without the pump and seeing what the heck is stopping it from going on nicely. Seeing as there is very little resistance through this filter despite it having over 250,000 miles, I am not in any rush to get a filter, but if I find one that is reasonable in price I will certainly post here to help others.
TLDR... Have you checked RockAuto.com?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...fuel+pump,6256
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:28 AM   #43
mirageman

Yes I saw Rockauto, the Delphi setup is too expensive, and that USEP12083 looks good, but it is the older style pump. They're listing it for a 2009, but it apparently is a conversion kit to the 2007 and below style. I wouldn't be able to just take the filter from that since the port is wrong. 2008 and up ports are off center while the 2007 and below have it in the middle. I won't buy an unknown brand aftermarket pump, one too many failures in another vehicle (Thank God it failed at my work's parking lot and not on the highway). I bought a delphi pump/filter for a Dodge Caravan, very expensive and still seems to make different uneasy whining noises...works fine though, going on 3-4 years, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money anyway. I just want the big tube filter and perhaps the pre-screen thing. I saw a chinese brand on ebay, and questioned him about "aty parts" filters and he responded almost immediately from China promising oem quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36394221977...&segname=11051

I don't know... googling the part numbers from that ebay listing show other suppliers, too and other brands compatible. It will take some googling for sure to find something I think I can trust. I'm sure China can make a good fuel filter, it might be a fine filter and the price is a bit on the high side (maybe because they're a known company over there) but it's really hit or miss when you never heard the brand here. Thanks, though!
Old 03-07-2023, 11:05 AM   #44
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirageman View Post
Yes I saw Rockauto, the Delphi setup is too expensive, and that USEP12083 looks good, but it is the older style pump. They're listing it for a 2009, but it apparently is a conversion kit to the 2007 and below style. I wouldn't be able to just take the filter from that since the port is wrong. 2008 and up ports are off center while the 2007 and below have it in the middle. I won't buy an unknown brand aftermarket pump, one too many failures in another vehicle (Thank God it failed at my work's parking lot and not on the highway). I bought a delphi pump/filter for a Dodge Caravan, very expensive and still seems to make different uneasy whining noises...works fine though, going on 3-4 years, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money anyway. I just want the big tube filter and perhaps the pre-screen thing. I saw a chinese brand on ebay, and questioned him about "aty parts" filters and he responded almost immediately from China promising oem quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36394221977...&segname=11051

I don't know... googling the part numbers from that ebay listing show other suppliers, too and other brands compatible. It will take some googling for sure to find something I think I can trust. I'm sure China can make a good fuel filter, it might be a fine filter and the price is a bit on the high side (maybe because they're a known company over there) but it's really hit or miss when you never heard the brand here. Thanks, though!
My bad, I thought you just wanted to replace the strainer.
I was looking at this one:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=6256&jsn=9

You might also want to check out the 2013 Rav4 fuel pumps. They look very similar.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...fuel+pump,6256

Actually some earlier 09 still had the old style fuel pump and housing, that's why it's showing both parts. I referred to them as 09- and 09+.

Post #23 from this thread will show you the differences, which you already know.
https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63181

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=23

If you buy just the filter, the only difficult part would be stretching that black hose over the hard plastic, but still not that difficult. You could pour or dip it in boiling water, shake it and make sure no water is in the line, carefully widen it with needle nose pliers, and slide it right over, I believe there's a barbed portion.
Or maybe buy a plastic tube expander, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Expand.../dp/B086C8GX9T
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote