Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
LilyOfTheYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Various problems with service at shop (green coolant and accelerator rattling noise)

Hello, I posted a thread in another section of the forum but I think this may be a better location to post. Any suggestions are welcomed.
I started going to a new shop to get my car services and my once great Yaris is now full of problems. Back then it was at around 89,000 miles
I went in for an oil change and inspection for my 2007 Yaris. I ended up having to do:
1) rear brake shoes and they convinced me into doing a coolant flush (big mistake).
I get that done and within days, I start to hear some strange squeaking sound when braking and every single time I hit the accelerator and pass 40mph I hear a sort of rattling sound, like something is "stuck in there". It's like a rattling sound of something loose or a little squeaking sounds.

2) I went back to have them check the sounds. They tell me all the noises are due to my front brake shoes needed to be replaced. I get that done and am told my tire has a irreparable hole in it. (Which ended up being a lie, I took it to my tire place and there was no hole).
I replaced the front brakes and the noises were still there. Squeak while braking and rattling when accelerating.

3) I go back again and explain all of this and was now told that the brake noise is due to the brake drums needed to be replaced and the front brakes needing to be redone. I am told that the rattling sound while accelerating could be coming from the heat shield which they tried to fix.

4) All the noises are still there and I found out that they put GREEN coolant on my Yaris, which is supposed to have red. I went back to complain (and to try to get the red coolant) but they assured me they used "Khameleon" coolant which is suitable for all cars and I was so mad that they finally fixed the brake sound. This time it was no longer the "brake drums" as they previously said it was. Now it was just the front brakes needing to be redone again but no word on the rattling accelerator sound.

My problem is. Now, I am stuck with this green coolant that I don't want. I don't know if "Khameleon" coolant is ok for my Yaris. And I am growing more and more concerned about the rattling sound while accelerating. And I can't trust this shop anymore. My car does not sound the way it used to, it's just noisy. I keep getting the cool light for a few minutes, which I never had before. Overall my car just sounds like a truck now. If it helps, I had a new serpentine installed somewhere else a few days before this shop, but the place installed it wrong and I arrived to this shop to get it aligned properly)

Does anyone have any similar experiences. Any bad experiences with coolant flushes or "khameleon" coolant? Rattling noise solution?

Any tips on what I should check, please let me know. I am becoming desperate. I am going to go somewhere else to get this checked but any ideas would be welcomed.

Thank you so much.
LilyOfTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote