Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #73
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Since this thread is already resurrected, I thought I'd add to it..

I was looking for the Toyota OEM block heater, but read that Toyota Canada recently issued a recall for the factory unit due to manufacturing faults that could lead to a short circuit. https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/abou...-block-heaters If you can't find the OEM model, the recall may have affected your region as well.

I found 2 options for aftermarket, cartridge style block heaters that are listed to fit our cars:
- Kat's Heaters, p/n: 11813
- Zerostart (Phillips-Temro), p/n: 3100129

When I went to the local Ideal Supply (NAPA in Canada) they said they don't carry the Kat's, that it's only in the U.S. stores. The Zerostart, made by Phillips-Temro, is the one stocked in the Canadian stores.

Installation follows the information given in this thread. There's also a good YouTube video install on a Tacoma and Corolla if you search.

Hope that helps someone stay warm this winter.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #74
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
I just installed mine on my '07 HB auto. The pictures Naossoan posted really helped. I simply fisted my right arm down there and moved stuff around till I felt a hole underneath the metal hose. Then the fight was to get the Phillips-Temro heater I bought off Amazon.ca (~$53 CAD) in just the right Tetris location so it could slide straight in without snag on the hose and cables. Had to push harder from different positions to get the heater clip to snap in, but all in all it took me about 15 minutes under light cold rain.

Then to run the cord to the front grill. Fugget about it. I park in my yard and when it snows the front grill is 6 feet under. Good luck rampaging the extension cord with the shovel at 4am in the morning. I bought the Noco GCP1 AC port and plan on installing it by the black plastic flashing near the passenger side view mirror if there's enough depth (need 1.5"). That would keep the cord in clear sight and out of the snow so I can easily operate.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #75
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #76
Ukrainian

Drives: Echo
Here is the original block heater for $65 Cad, I have purchased one from my local dealer, seems good quality, has lube included and several zip ties. Now need to install it.
PK5A4-08J04 BLOCK HEATER
https://parts.sptoyota.com/products/...4-block-heater

free images hosting
Ukrainian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:56 PM   #77
IronYaris

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainian View Post
Here is the original block heater for $65 Cad, I have purchased one from my local dealer, seems good quality, has lube included and several zip ties. Now need to install it.
PK5A4-08J04 BLOCK HEATER

free images hosting
What sort of lube was included?
Dielectric grease? Thermal paste?
IronYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:57 PM   #78
IronYaris

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr
How easy was it to put everything back?
IronYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:13 PM   #79
ZippoYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 5-Door HB
This is for a 2007 Yaris with auto trans?

It looks like the right one as for some reason 2007 has a 90 dergree plug end on the heater end, eh?!

I had an issue with my electrical plug in end and decided to just cut the old one off and solder a three prong plug I had from an old programable timer. It was a pain to add but I didn't feel like taking the whole cord out. If my fix last until Spring then I will get this new one.

Thanks for the post and I hope this thread is back to life now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainian View Post
PK5A4-08J04 BLOCK HEATER

free images hosting
ZippoYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #80
ZippoYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 5-Door HB
Just an update. I got the block heater this morning via Purolator!! The price total was $84. Heater $65, Shipping $15 & Taxes $4. I am pleased as this is a genuine Toyota replacement part unlike all those other heaters you see on Amazon and PartsAvatar, etc. With shipping it costs about the same anyway!

Toyota even revises these things! Mine is REV 03 date of 7/22 on it! Yay!
ZippoYaris is offline   Reply With Quote