Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Check your coolant bottle

Any one else notice a sudden loss of coolant for no obvious reason-the bottle is just empty. No leaks and the level was fine a couple weeks ago. This happened after a sudden drop in outside temps into the single digits.

Sure made me nervous yesterday having recently read a thread where a smart car owner fried his engine because of low coolant and the light never went off because the sensor was in air-not actual coolant since the level was so low.

The toyota mechanic I use advised there may have been a pocket in the system that finally filled in-I'm thinking after a year and a half of driving? He did say he's noticed new cars are evaporating off more coolant than say cars from 10 years ago. He gave me a gallon of the toyota long life coolant that's in the car from the factory and I've topped up the system-it used about 1/3 of the gallon to refill it and will drive and observe if there are any other drops in it's level.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
My coolant is half of what it used to be..... I wondered where the hell it went :D

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My (water cooled) Honda ST1100 motorcycle did the disappearing coolant trick for several years. I figured the head gasket must be leaking a little into the combustion chamber. Or maybe a tiny tiny leak from the hoses. I couldnt find any other reason. Then I added a manual switch to the cooling fan. On hot days in traffic the temp needle, while not going into the red, would move a lot higher on the scale. Turning the fan on manually at the first sign of traffic kept the needle in its place. That summer the coolant stopped disappearing!
Im betting youve got a very small leak someplace. Difficult to find/fix that!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
can you say "pressure test?"
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Since it's under warranty it will get a pressure test, I was just wondering if this a common occurance with this car/engine. Looks more like this is an "odd" occurance.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
That happened to me once, the hoses where bone dry. I filled the bottle again and it has been fine for 2 months.

I've always said it "My Yaris is a Biatch" LOL
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
My wife's Scion is like this....
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
This happened to me about 2 years after owning the car. One day it went down to almost empty, so I just topped it up with coolant. I did get a coolant flush, they didn't notice any leaks, so who knows WTF is going on! I keep a bottle of coolant handy, though.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Mine is fine after 1.5 years and 27K miles.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
bronsin

Water cooled motorcycles have a multitude of hoses and hence connections that commonly leak especially when first put in service. Its common to have to tighten at least one of these. Also, the leaks tend to be small and hard to pin point.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Well coolant in the overflow bottle does go up and down as you drive. If your radiator cap is working correctly. It sucks in coolant and as it expands goes back into the overlow bottle. Thats why there is a low and a high point. As long as your somewhere inbetween you are okay. Beause you are not exactly the the full life dosnt mean your cooling system is low. I would consider this normal. If your coolant is below the lowest line then you may have a issue.

I would however look around the water pump. All toyotas with external water pumps are notorius for leaking. Usually around 60k miles. Easy way is to check the hood and bumper areas around the belts area you will see a pink residue splatter.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
My brother's '08 Xd is now on the "low" line of the bottle, mine's about 1.5 inch low too. Any idea how much $ a gallon from the dealers runs?

RE: waterpump; my Mom's went after 16k on her '06 Corolla. I noticed hints of pink on the underhood padding.
It was out of warr, BUT Dad sprang for the extended warr at the time of purchase (as did I) and that took care of it!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
bronsin

Like $25. Mixed 50/50 with water.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
My brother's '08 Xd is now on the "low" line of the bottle, mine's about 1.5 inch low too. Any idea how much $ a gallon from the dealers runs?

RE: waterpump; my Mom's went after 16k on her '06 Corolla. I noticed hints of pink on the underhood padding.
It was out of warr, BUT Dad sprang for the extended warr at the time of purchase (as did I) and that took care of it!
My waterpump actually went out twice once at 15k and again at about 17k
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote