Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
atebit

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
No AM radio signal on two aftermarket HUs?

I've tried two different model Alpine HUs in my 07 sedan, and have noticed in both cases that AM radio reception is pretty much non-existent. FM radio comes in strong/fine, so I don't think it's a case of a bad windshield antenna connection to the radio.

I originally had the "integrated" AM/FM/CD stereo in the car. I'm almost starting to wonder if the factory radio had a built-in AM loop antenna or something like that, instead of it using the windshield antenna? The only other thing I can think of is maybe there's a separate feed for the AM antenna on the wiring harness that I wasn't aware of.

Not having AM isn't a huge deal...99.995% of the time I'm listening to either XM or the iPod, but in my area there are some decent AM news stations that I listen to every once and a while. Has anyone else had an issue with AM (or even tried to listen to AM) after replacing their stock HU?
atebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
enkid

Antenna

The antenna is in the rear glass. It is a powered antenna, and there is fair FM reception when unpowered. It could be that the current capability of the Alpine power antenna wire is too low. You may wish to try connecting the Yaris power antenna lead (Socket A pin 8) to the accessory lead (Socket A pin 3) instead of to the alpine blue wire. If your AM reception comes back, you may either leave it as is, or have the alpine turn on a relay to connect battery power to the antenna.
enkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
atebit

Ah...I didn't realize it was a powered antenna. My strong guess is that the power lead for the antenna isn't connected at all. FM reception is pretty good, so that much certainly bodes well with your theory. I'll have to yank the HU & check out the wiring...sounds like an easy fix.

Thanks for the info...I would have never guessed it was a powered antenna!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Question

Does anybody know if the hatchback(liftback) also has a powered antenna? I don't get any AM reception in my car with an aftermarket deck.
If it has a powered antenna, which coloured(colored) wire on the Scosche wiring adaptor do I connect the powered antenna wire from my deck to?

Thanks,

earljail
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
redbluff

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by earljail
Does anybody know if the hatchback(liftback) also has a powered antenna? I don't get any AM reception in my car with an aftermarket deck.
If it has a powered antenna, which coloured(colored) wire on the Scosche wiring adaptor do I connect the powered antenna wire from my deck to?

Thanks,

earljail
Same issue for me. Very poor AM recepton on the hatch back and not real good FM. Using an aftermarket radio. Called while it was under warranty and had them send me a new one. Put it in and does the exact same thing.

The hatch antenna is powered. How do we all know if we connected the wires correctly for the amplifier on the antenna to work?
redbluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
jbll

Drives: Yaris HB 2007
I have the exact issue with my HB and Alpine Head Unit with FM reception
didn't try AM...

What do the power antenna change to the FM reception?

And btw, my reception was VERY good with my Toyota Heand Unit...

I tought the power antenna cable was for the antennas which go up and go down all alone....
jbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
redbluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbll
I have the exact issue with my HB and Alpine Head Unit with FM reception
didn't try AM...

What do the power antenna change to the FM reception?

And btw, my reception was VERY good with my Toyota Heand Unit...

I tought the power antenna cable was for the antennas which go up and go down all alone....
The antenna is amplified to boost the signal. I only guess that we dont have the non stock units connected up right.
redbluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #8
jbll

Drives: Yaris HB 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbluff View Post
The antenna is amplified to boost the signal. I only guess that we dont have the non stock units connected up right.
so, if i change the wire, I will get a better reception???
jbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
atebit

Yes, powering the in-glass antenna now provides me with AM reception (as opposed to no AM reception) & improved FM reception!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
barryware

Does anybody know how much current the antenna amplifier draws? The wire for a power antenna (motorized) or an external amplifier (on/off) on my head unit states 300mV max.

I have AM reception but it sucks. I too have made the mistake of not supplying power to the antenna amplifier.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:29 PM   #11
enkid

I think the scoche adapter power antenna lead is blue....it might be blue with a white stripe

I *think* the antenna amplifier draws about an amp, but I'm not sure. I didn't measure it.

I do know that Yaris sedan's glass antenna is one of the best in the industry, beating antennas in cars most of us could only dream of owning...
enkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
barryware

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkid View Post
I *think* the antenna amplifier draws about an amp, but I'm not sure. I didn't measure it.
I just connected the amplifier lead to the accessory power wire. Done! perfect!

Reception is great now.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:49 AM   #13
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Well at least Toyota doesn't use something like Nissan's Diversity Antenna... I have a rear-window printed antenna AND a power post type antenna, apparently the head unit decides which one is getting the best reception and switches, it's a real nice headache for aftermarket, as if my car's built in Bose Audio system's balanced-line signal output and odd impedences weren't bad enough.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
edwardthed

Drives: Yaris Hatch yr 2011
Barryware,

which wire did you connect to for the power antenna for the AM signal?
edwardthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
barryware

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardthed View Post
Barryware,

which wire did you connect to for the power antenna for the AM signal?
it has been so long, I don't remember. I use the complete service manual download from a link on this forum to find the wire that is in the radio harness plug.. Not sure, but I remember it as being blue.

Using the harness I bought for my head unit.. I connected the wire to power the rf amp to the switched 12v wire to the head unit.

So.. when ever I turn on the ignition, the rf amp powers up.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Hmmm.. I'm experiencing the same misery with a 2013 Tc deck in my '08 hatch. No AM! as a talk radio fan I need it...
The 2013 deck needs an adapter cable to work on the '08 antenna plug. There is a powered wire for the antenna coming from the antenna adapter. So which color harness wire would I need to tap into to juice up my OEM antenna then? Can I just use a squeeze on wire tap instead of cutting?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
2005vitzRS

Drives: 2005 Vitz RS, NCP91, Manual
I'm having similar problems and have written about it in this thread.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46256

If anybody has a solution please let me know.

Cheers
2005vitzRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #18
bobdawonderweasel
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkid View Post
The antenna is in the rear glass. It is a powered antenna, and there is fair FM reception when unpowered. It could be that the current capability of the Alpine power antenna wire is too low. You may wish to try connecting the Yaris power antenna lead (Socket A pin 8) to the accessory lead (Socket A pin 3) instead of to the alpine blue wire. If your AM reception comes back, you may either leave it as is, or have the alpine turn on a relay to connect battery power to the antenna.
Confirmed on a 2007 Yaris sedan that the antenna amp needs power.

Scosche Radio Wiring Harness for 1987-Up Toyota Power/4 Speaker Connector
to
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X598 CD Receiver

I was having radio reception issues and connected the Blue wire on the Sc osche connector to the White/Blue wire on the Kenwood.

As soon as I powered on the unit my AM reception was working and the FM signal was strong.

The original radio was the factory integrate mode. It fried about a week ago. I did a bunch of Googling to see what I could replace it with. That's when I found this site. After using the Search function (yes I actually used it) I was able to install the new radio quite easily.

This last little glitch with the reception was the last outstanding issue.

I did solder all my wires and heat shrank them rather than use crimp connectors. I should note that I worked on avionics in the Air Force (B-52's and KC-135's) and have no fear of soldering and a working knowledge of wiring diagrams.

Thanks to everyone on Yaris World for your posts!!!
bobdawonderweasel is offline   Reply With Quote