Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
LilyOfTheYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris
NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal Problems

Hello everyone,
I found this on a website claiming that people complain about the acceleration of the 2007 Toyota Yaris:

NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal Problems
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Yaris/2007/engine
/vehicle_speed_control-accelerator_pedal.shtml

From the website:
Quote:
Accelerator on 2007 Yaris is sensitive at lower rpms making it difficult to start off in first gear causing a potential safety issue when starting off on a hill or steep grade. Was told by both the dealership and Toyota that there is nothing they can do, it's a design issue. The dealer did mention that they had received other complaints regarding the sensitivity of the accelerator. I've owned manual transmissions my entire life and although you expect differences in accelerator and clutch combinations, this is the worst I've ever owned.
Has anyone experienced this?
LilyOfTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That quote simply describes the behavior of an electronic throttle versus a cable throttle.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Thank you, Mr. Scott.

Destroying Toyota has become a political goal for some in and around government and media - which is a shame because Toyota has taken the art of engineering a long-lived automobile, a true transportation value, to a new high.

They, the government agitators, will probably succeed; or discourage Toyota to limit their presence in this market. How many more billion$ can they pay out on patently-absurd claims of magic acceleration or of some sort of "racial discrimination"? Comes a time when Toyota, which has a world presence, will decide the United States is a no-growth market with a corrupt government; and they'd be better off focusing their energies in China and the Third World.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Destroying Toyota has become a political goal for some in and around government and media - which is a shame because Toyota has taken the art of engineering a long-lived automobile, a true transportation value, to a new high.

They, the government agitators, will probably succeed; or discourage Toyota to limit their presence in this market. How many more billion$ can they pay out on patently-absurd claims of magic acceleration or of some sort of "racial discrimination"? Comes a time when Toyota, which has a world presence, will decide the United States is a no-growth market with a corrupt government; and they'd be better off focusing their energies in China and the Third World.
ITA with you. We sure don't hear much about the Camry acceleration issues now, do we? I though all along that GM (Guv'ment Motors) had something to do with this. "Plants" hired to complain. Not everyone could have put extra floor mats down. Thankfully, Toyota knocked GM out of first place after a short period of time.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That quote simply describes the behavior of an electronic throttle versus a cable throttle.
My wife prefers the easy 'drive-off-ability' of the TDI over the Yaris because of this same sort of issue.

While the TDI is drive-by-wire as well, it has diesel 'grunt' that help her get rolling (and a dual mass flywheel).
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
i just usually give it a quick blip of the throttle before releasing the clutch. with practice, it becomes smooth and second nature.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
If you're semi-coordinated you can use your hand brake to hold your car in place when you take your foot of the brake. Be sure to keep your thumb down on the handbrake release button the entire time.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Comes a time when Toyota, which has a world presence, will decide the United States is a no-growth market with a corrupt government; and they'd be better off focusing their energies in China and the Third World.
I have felt for a long time that they already have, since the 1970s. Think of all the cool cars available in just about every market except the US. All we get are the dull boring cars with the occasional burst of fun cars, like the Yaris. Even then, we don't get the really entertaining options/engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
ITA with you. We sure don't hear much about the Camry acceleration issues now, do we? I though all along that GM (Guv'ment Motors) had something to do with this. "Plants" hired to complain. Not everyone could have put extra floor mats down. Thankfully, Toyota knocked GM out of first place after a short period of time.
A little digression: my mom had one of those affected Camrys. It REALLY did have a problem with the gas pedal. From the day she purchased it, I noticed that the pedal was very notchy-feeling; a lot of "stiction". Even with an auto transmission, it was like an on-off switch off-idle. No matter how progressively I tried to step on the gas, it would stutter down and RPMs would jump from idle to 2,000RPMs. After they fixed the pedal by installing a washer, the pedal operated very smoothly. She never had the unintended acceleration issue though.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote