Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
c20h25n3o

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2004 - D4D
Battery light + Fuel/Water light blinking simultaneously - then continuously

Hi guys,

Registered specially for this, as I've been able to find nearly all answers here in the past.

Today the following happened:

1) Out of the blue a squeeking sound started from the engine when stationary, this stopped as soon as I revved the engine up a bit. This was obviously caused by the belt, the sound was very recognizable.

2) After going uphill on a very bumpy road (I'm in Greece ATM, the road is literally a few 100 years old), 2 lights started blinking. The battery light and the light that tells you you have water in your fuel. I found on the internet that if these 2 burn together, your battery is not charging.

3) After a while they stopped blinking slowly and just stayed lit.

4) On our way down the mountain (I kept the car in neutral going down as I had plenty of inertia) a very recognizable burning rubber smell entered the car. This stopped right away when we stopped the car and on our way home (we were about 10 miles from my apartment) it didn't come back.

I've narrowed it down to either a battery or the alternator, but what keeps me busy is the fact the belt was screeching before it all started. Could it be that the battery is not charging because the belt is not powering the alternator enough? Or could it be that the violent shaking of the bumpy road shook something loose? I've pushed down all visible wiring, but the problem remained.
All garages in the area are closed (it's 6.30pm), is there anything I can do myself to pinpoint the exact issue?

There is no more screeching sound coming from the belt, the lights are not dimming or getting brighter when I rev the engine, the lights in the car (including the dashboard panel) are not getting dimmer/brighter and the car operates perfectly fine. Yet I have a feeling something is about to happen.

Any advice on what I can do? (added a pic of the dashboard lights) before the garage nearby opens tomorrow? Is it safe to drive there, or should I find someone to tow me there?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dahboard.jpg (149.2 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by c20h25n3o; 09-21-2016 at 12:34 PM.
c20h25n3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
c20h25n3o

Also, maybe interesting to mention, yesterday the A/C light was blinking and didn't kick in. After I switched the button on and off it worked right away, so I didn't give it too much thought until now.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The symptoms definitely sound like a charging issue. The squeaking of the belt happening and then stopping may just be because of the temperature at the time or something getting on the belt, but a squeaking belt pretty much always mean a loose belt, and once they start squeaking they get glazed and really should be replaced.

Besides checking the belt, I would check the battery terminals to see if either is loose or has corrosion on it. The bumpy road could have rattled an already loose connection.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
c20h25n3o

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The symptoms definitely sound like a charging issue. The squeaking of the belt happening and then stopping may just be because of the temperature at the time or something getting on the belt, but a squeaking belt pretty much always mean a loose belt, and once they start squeaking they get glazed and really should be replaced.

Besides checking the belt, I would check the battery terminals to see if either is loose or has corrosion on it. The bumpy road could have rattled an already loose connection.
There was a charging issue indeed, but it was caused by a faulty alternator!
My luck; in Greece diesels were only made legal a few years ago so finding a part was an absolute nightmare.

We ended up replacing the karbounakia (coal), the pulley with another part attached to it and the automator? I'm sorry, I don't know the English words for these parts.
All in all, including manual labour and parts, it took me 130 euro. Which is fine considering the new price of an alternator. :D.
Was happy to get home in time!

Thank you for taking the time to reply :).
Old 09-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
c20h25n3o

Oh and the screeching of the belt was caused by the fact the pulley on the alternator couldn't move freely. So the friction of the rubber over the pulley that wasn't turning properly caused the screeching.
Also the belt was replaced as the issues worn out the belt!