Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
tykeeler

Battery Issue?

I drive a 14' yaris with HID's, Fog's, and Sub's hooked up to my battery. I just recently installed the fog lights and they work perfect. My problem is that when i turn the fog lights on, it feels as if I lose a little power. Do i have too many things plugged up to my battery? If so, how can I fix it without losing my HID's and subs?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
tykeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
To have the same performance with more things drawing off the engine, you need more power. There is no magic here. It takes power to run your accessories, and that power is taken from the power you could be using to accelerate. The Yaris is low on power to start so any small draw is noticeable.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
HID and FOGs should not put too much current draw to the alt.

Though, if your sub works and light dims as the bass punches, then install a large cap to prevent voltage sag and save your alt.

Someone can prove me wrong, but your engine is always spinning the alt, so it shouldn't tax your engine when you use more electricity. Although, it might produce less amps at low rpm, that's why when you turn on electric components in the car, engine will rev up a little as current draw increase, but will not affect engine output like AC does.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
tykeeler

What is a large cap?

tykeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykeeler View Post
What is a large cap?

Capacitor. It can be bought from audio sellers. It is used to stabilize the electricity produced by the alternator.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post

Someone can prove me wrong, but your engine is always spinning the alt, so it shouldn't tax your engine when you use more electricity. Although, it might produce less amps at low rpm, that's why when you turn on electric components in the car, engine will rev up a little as current draw increase, but will not affect engine output like AC does.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Yaris alternator at max amps will use around 2bhp. Not much, but the Yaris doesn't have much to spare. The only time I have noticed electrical draw affecting performance was driving a loaded Matrix over the mountains. With the A/C converter on, the car would power out and drop a gear. Turn it off and it had just enough to hold the higher gear.

If there is a large, very noticeable difference the OP may want to look into if his lamps are drawing power from a safe source. Or if he is losing current at something important (like the ign coils or similar).

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote