Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #19
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Or.... Rev to 6K and then slide your foot counterclockwise off the clutch.

If you have an A/T like me.... 6K while in neutral, and when you think the traffic light will turn green, drop that bitch in drive and hold on..
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #20
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
A friend of mine has a Mustang. When he gets near the rev limiter, the engine light flashes. If you are too close for too long, at will stay on and if you hit the rev limiter, engine light stays on.

His Dad has got some type of diagnostic head made by snapon. It didn't show the code (rev limiter) even with the engine light still on. When he took it in, he was warned about abusing the engine and further abuse, may void the warranty. It seems that those type of codes that may report abuse are secret and you must have the right diagnostic head to read them.

I can not confirm or deny.. This is just what I was told.
HA! Watch out! The Man's got his eye on you!

That would make sense though. I can understand voiding the warranty from "abuse". Economy cars weren't designed for racing, thus treating it like a race car could naturally result in some problems that wouldn't have arisen if it was used under normal circumstances. Better slow down there, Speedy!

~YR
Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #21
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
Quote:

If you have an A/T like me.... 6K while in neutral, and when you think the traffic light will turn green, drop that bitch in drive and hold on..
yay! neutral bomb... my favorite

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #22
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
that would kill me to do something like that to my car. my car will never see 6000rpm. I did have it 70mph in 3thd gear once didn't notice the rpm
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
Old 06-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #23
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
VW Jetta's have a safety feature (well for the manufacturer anyway) When the car hits its rev-limiter multiple times it would log a engine warranty void code within the computer. It would never show up as a check engine light. So be warned if anything happens it is all on you.

I have no imagination.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #24
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
Quote:

If your not joking.... Then you are as dumb as paris hilton.

I have no imagination.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:48 AM   #25
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
If you have an A/T like me.... 6K while in neutral, and when you think the traffic light will turn green, drop that bitch in drive and hold on as your car jumps over the remnants of its transmission that just dropped on the floor
sounds about right

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 AM   #26
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Then whats the point of a rev-limiter? You might as well just let it run willy-nilly. Kind of lame.

BTW, does it say anywhere in the warrenty about a warrenty void, due to hitting the rev-limiter?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:11 AM   #27
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Then whats the point of a rev-limiter? You might as well just let it run willy-nilly. Kind of lame.

BTW, does it say anywhere in the warrenty about a warrenty void, due to hitting the rev-limiter?
rev-limitier does what its name describes it limits rev during acceleration. however. if you dump the trans into 1st while driving at 4000 rpm in 4th theres not much that can stop that force from blowing up your motor. most people blow-up thier motor (non-turbo) when they misshift into a lower gear. not during regular up-shifting

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 AM   #28
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Some of these post hurt my head. A rev-limiter limits revs, not stupidity... Do you run your car into walls because it has airbags? Do you risk sex with an infected person because you have condoms? It's a LIMITER, not a shift light...

Way to go Corky...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #29
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
hahahaha
Old 08-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #30
Christopher
Cobra

Drives: '07 3-door
Sounds to me like this kid is a Yaris budget with a Shelby Mustang appetite.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #31
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzerocool View Post
If your not joking.... Then you are as dumb as paris hilton.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #32
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifto View Post
lol just dont panic shift while racing and downshift from 4th to 1st at 6k... ive seen it done many times besides that i say go crazy
I doubt you've seen it many times....who and why would anyone downshift from 4th to 1st gear? I doubt the manual tranny would let you do it even if you wanted to....
Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #33
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:

Only an idiot would do this....
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 AM   #34
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdium View Post
Some of these post hurt my head. A rev-limiter limits revs, not stupidity... Do you run your car into walls because it has airbags? Do you risk sex with an infected person because you have condoms? It's a LIMITER, not a shift light...

Way to go Corky...
You're missing the point.

I'm saying, why have a rev limiter where its at, when running into it will void warrenty? Why dosen't Toyota just set the rev limit low, so when you hit it nothing will happen? Or why have it at all? If there is a recorder that'll void your warrenty, that'll have the same effect if your engine blows up. You'll be left shit out of luck.

The air bag anology isn't the same as the rev limiter. Hitting the rev limiter dosen't require a wall. Why the hell would an engine create all of its power so close to the rev-limiter? How would you gain all of the 8.whater (or whatever the 0-60 speed is) by not reving to where the power is? Everyone should create big bore, big stroke engines, so going near the rev-limiter would be worthless. Not to mention the non s models do not have a tach, so figureing out where you're at isn't easy for the new driver..

My X-Runner dosen't have much top end power. Well, it does, but I've got oodles of torque in the low end, so I wouldn't really have to rev so high. Wouldn't that be the solution to a rev-limit warrenty void?

If you think that hitting a simple rev limiter is SUCH a risk, to be compared to condoms, and air bags, then you really need to get some of your values straight.

... and that picture wasn't called for.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:42 AM   #35
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
omg.. I gues I posted this in the wrong forum. I do occasionally playfully race people on the highway; nothing like drag racing or anything. jeez
Don't worry dude. A few of the people here are worse than honda-tech.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 AM   #36
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifto View Post
lol you can rev it high, but you have to just be careful and understand the limits of the car. i say if you cant enjoy your car, then why have one? everyone has their own way of enjoying their car. some hook it up with a crazy system others for autocross, some just like to save gas and cruise in style. in the end its whatever floats your boat im actually curious to see what code comes up (if possible) next time it happens...
Straight up dude. Rest of you need to be a little bit more supportive to your Yaris breatherin. But then again, what do I know? I'm new here, and I don't even have a Yaris yet.
Closed Thread