Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #379
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Megan Axleback???

I've got to get rid of my Megan axleback on my 2ZR turbo application. I did some measurements today and was very surprised to see just how restrictive the Megan is. At the narrowest point where the exhaust tip attached to the muffler body it is ~ 29mm (1.14")! This may be fine for a NA Yaris, but the stock exhaust actually appears to have a larger diameter. I'm pretty sure that backpressure is limiting my car from reaching full boost. I won't be going anywhere near boost or likely even driving this can again until I can rid myself of the Megan and find an alternative.

This is not intended to criticize the Megan product, and I should have done better research, but it's still very surprising that a product with what appears to be 2.5" mandrel bent SS piping would narrow to basically an inch.

I used the handle from my pruners to try to gauge the inner diameter.

Megan narrows a LOT:

Inner diameter contact points:

29mm (1.14")

Stock Yaris exhaust 38mm (~1.5"). It may narrow down more at the muffler, but not by much, I expect.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #380
06YarisRS

High-flow CAT installed

And, no 02 code after several drives. Not holding my breath, even though the oscillating voltages look within spec.

I love the reflective fiberglass tape. When it gets hot, the glue seems to further bond the whole thing together into a solid mass. I was very sceptical that this stuff stay on but it definitely seems to improve with a bit of time and heat.

I extended the harness about the needed 6 - 8" to reach the 02 sensor. As usual, all connections were soldered, heatshrinked and run through wire loom before being taped with the reflective fiberglass tape. Not a real OEM look, but, hey, I'm rarely going to see it. I'm going to pick up a few push mount cable ties to support the harness.

I've also decided that I'm not going to reinstall the heat shield. On hot days, even with city driving, I've not noticed the floor even getting warm. Another plus is that I can coat my whole tunnel with rust proofing.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 08-07-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #381
06YarisRS

New exhaust solution

Rather than going through the hassle and expense of finding another rear mount muffler and paying an exhaust shop to do the work, I'm opting for a glasspack and SS tip. The 18"glasspack has the louvered design and will have just enough room after the CAT. The exhaust tip is 2.5" inlet, 3.5" outlet and 18" in length. I may have to extend the pipe a few inches with a small section of 2.5" and a couple of couplers. I got the tip for just under $12.00 (must be a clearance on eBay) and the glasspack for $27.00 and change. I'll do the install myself. Hopefully it won't drone badly on the highway. I'm optimistic that it will be ok since the Megan (although it has a larger chamber) is basically a glasspack, plus I just installed the CAT and the turbo is supposed to quiet things down a bit too.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #382
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Excellent job looking into the exhaust issues and tackling the others.

The catalyst readiness check is the last one to be checked and sometimes takes a couple hundred km to go through. Cross your fingers but like you said time will tell.

You can always use a scanner to monitor engine readiness checks and see if it has passed or not
Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #383
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Excellent job looking into the exhaust issues and tackling the others.

The catalyst readiness check is the last one to be checked and sometimes takes a couple hundred km to go through. Cross your fingers but like you said time will tell.

You can always use a scanner to monitor engine readiness checks and see if it has passed or not
Thanks Trevor. Interesting thoughts. I hadn't thought of looking at the readiness data. Torque does display that info. Before I changed out teh sensor, I was getting a steady 0.0V. The black wire on the sensor was literally hanging on by a strand of copper wire. It had been twisted so many times, that the conductor just broke.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #384
06YarisRS

Exhaust concept

While awaiting my exhaust parts, I got thinking how neat it would look to have a 'dual exhaust' effect happening. I did a little mockup of what it might look like with two 3.5'ish tips. I think they look a touch big in the pic. Maybe 3" tips would look better. I was under the car this evening and there's definitely room for the piping.

Feel free to express your thoughts. I have broad shoulders, lol. Basically ignore the tip on the left if you want to get a sense of what it will look like with a single tip.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #385
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I like it :)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #386
tmontague

I second that!
Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #387
06YarisRS

Thanks guys. I really like the look too, although it does sort of violate my policy of keeping the car stock- looking. Decisions, decisions.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #388
06YarisRS

Better flowing exhaust

Wish me luck. I am going to attempt the installation of these parts myself. I picked up a few clamps and new bi-metal blades for my sawzall.

I ordered another tip the same as the one pictured in the event that I do decide to go with the 'dual' look.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #389
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #390
06YarisRS

Exhaust Redo

Well, stainless steel is a b**ch to cut. I trashed 2 new sawzall blades and had to finish off with my hacksaw. Thankfully I cut the aluminized pipe to install the new inline muffler first with one of the new blades. This is not the 'funnest' job, but I should have great flow when done. It's sad that a Megan axleback had to be basically destroyed in the process, but it would have cost me much more for another trip to the exhaust shop to have another piece of pipe bent and installed.

New 'muffler' installed

Extension for tip

Tip installed...Joking...the pipe will be cut back so that the tip will just slightly protrude from under the bumper cover.

Update

The car is definitely louder than with the Meagan, butI'll test drive this afternoon to see what it's like. My AFR and boost gauges have arrived, so I hope to start installation on those tomorrow.

A bit of a hatchet job on the exhaust, but my budget isn't big enough for a full SS, mandrel bent and welded system. None of the clamps and such should be visible when the car is back on its wheels.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 08-15-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #391
tmontague

Looking good, grab a sound clip when you can!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #392
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Looking good, grab a sound clip when you can!
Will do. It sounds great outside.

I'm going to have my neighbour weld the tip and extension piece of pipe on. I've discovered that clamping stainless steel onto aluminized piping is a no win proposition. My tip got loose. The car is also a bit too loud for my liking, so I am going to have to look into another muffler solution in the not too distant future.

On the upside, I hit 8 psi. The car pulls really hard but the shifts can be quite firm. I've become very adept at manually shifting the auto for smoother shifts. It may have something to do with my poly filled dogbone, though. If the auto dies, I'll be looking at swapping in a manual with upgraded clutch.

I'm still struggling with idle issues. The car will run great until it gets up to temp and then it will occasionally (every few minutes) drop idle and it may stall at an intersection with A/C on. I'm doing some logging to try to figure out what's causing the rpm drop (stumble). The car usually takes two starting attempts and is very rich at startup. I will try pulling some fuel in the very low rpm range and see if that helps. Other than that, the car runs great and is sometimes scary. LOL

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 08-15-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #393
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
https://apexi-usa.com/hybrid-mega-ev...1-toyota-yaris
Old 08-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #394
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Ooh...very nice! Thanks. I wish they had an actual picture though. I can't see the one in the pic fitting.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #395
06YarisRS

Short video clip of accelerating

Please excuse my old weathered hands. LOL! As mentioned in the video, I did not mash the throttle and I'm still a little timid with the car. But, it really pulls and highway driving is a blast. I actually have to let off the throttle when climbing hills. I was up to 140 km/h in a flash on a long hill. Once I get a little more comfortable with the car, I'll open it up a bit more and do another video.

I am going to get a muffler installed because it is too loud in the car. Actually, I would say it's just on the edge of being too loud.

As an aside, I discovered that a couple of gas stations across the border, near my parcel pick up spot, sell 93 octane. Bonus. Speaking about pacel pickups, check out my next post for goodies acquired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEfCFa4Ed1c

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 08-16-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #396
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Do you not have 94 at petro Canada out that way?
Used to be Sunoco but petro has it at many stations here in Ontario.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote