Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
I love my new '12 Yaris!!!

She's so quiet, smooth and stable at highway speeds, 5th almost feels like an overdrive gear.

I look back at all the test-drives I took in this class: Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta hatch, Honda Fit, '12 Hyundai Accent hatch, and I am glad that this little mighty mouse of a Toyota stands above them all!

I love my car!!!

I just wanted to also formally thank Charles Maund Toyota in Austin, Texas for helping me find the exact car in the exact specification I wanted ('12 3-door base L hatch, in Blazing Blue Pearl w/5-speed manual transmission).

This car will outlast the sun!
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Very glad you like it!

Do you have any way to check your RPMS in 5th at highway speeds? Just curious if they changed the trans at all. On my 08 it runs at about 3k at highway speeds.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Very glad you like it!

Do you have any way to check your RPMS in 5th at highway speeds? Just curious if they changed the trans at all. On my 08 it runs at about 3k at highway speeds.
At 70mph, it's indicated at 3k exactly. The engine has lots of headroom at that speed. If it were not limited by aero drag, I think the Yaris is geared for 105-110, or thereabouts.

I don't know if the gearing is changed, but the feel has been. It's now very satisfying to row the gears in the Yaris!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
i love mine as well !!!! congrats !!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
She's so quiet, smooth and stable at highway speeds, 5th almost feels like an overdrive gear.

I look back at all the test-drives I took in this class: Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta hatch, Honda Fit, '12 Hyundai Accent hatch, and I am glad that this little mighty mouse of a Toyota stands above them all!

I love my car!!!

I just wanted to also formally thank Charles Maund Toyota in Austin, Texas for helping me find the exact car in the exact specification I wanted ('12 3-door base L hatch, in Blazing Blue Pearl w/5-speed manual transmission).

This car will outlast the sun!
Wait! did you say she's quiet at highway speeds? How did they reduce the noise?

I love my 07 but she's loud on the highway. Congrats with your baby boo!
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Technically, any gear set with a ratio below 1:1 is an overdrive--the output shaft makes more revolutions than the input shaft. The stock 5th gear for the Yaris C50 is 0.815:1, and 4th is 0.969:1, so they're both classified as overdrive.

As far as road noise goes, it could be a combination of tires and aero, as well as some strategically placed padding/dampening material. Could we get the brand/model of your tires? Glad to hear that you're happy with the new Yaris!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Technically, any gear set with a ratio below 1:1 is an overdrive--the output shaft makes more revolutions than the input shaft. The stock 5th gear for the Yaris C50 is 0.815:1, and 4th is 0.969:1, so they're both classified as overdrive.

As far as road noise goes, it could be a combination of tires and aero, as well as some strategically placed padding/dampening material. Could we get the brand/model of your tires? Glad to hear that you're happy with the new Yaris!
What is this aero, padding and dampening material?
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
3 door for the win YEA!!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Wait! did you say she's quiet at highway speeds? How did they reduce the noise?

I love my 07 but she's loud on the highway. Congrats with your baby boo!
Lots of insulation and aerodynamic tweeks, I imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post

Bridgestones, that's all I know. lol They are rated for "A" wear, and "A" speed on the sidewall. I looked at them yesterday when just looking over the car.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
What is this aero, padding and dampening material?
Sorry, I meant aerodynamics. Changing the air flow over the vehicle can dramatically reduce wind noise, if done right. Just think of what happens when you roll down your windows.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote