Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Talking Absorber Options

Hey ya'll. I've been lurking off and on for a few weeks now but this is my first post. Before I say anything else, I just want to thank you all for the great topics you've posted up here (and the crappy topics too). I've used some of the info to do my spring install and to figure out proper wiring for my tach.

Ok, so shock absorber question: has anyone explored the options or do you know what will be available in the near future? I'm running stock absorbers with springtech lowering springs and the stockies just aren't stiff enough for me. I know about the TRDs but those look crap. I see that Koni already has a sport kit for around $750US with springs and there's some Apex kit from the Uk that runs for about $542US. SO what else is out there and does anyone know about Apex? I've never heard of them in the states.

Oh yeah, here's what I've done so far: Black Sand Pearl Hatch with power and winter package, black and silver 17" Alt Racing Wheels with Falken rubber (rear 215/45ZR17 front 205/45/ZR17), nice Sunpro tach, HID 8500k lights, and a momo sport knob with shift boot. Haven't taken any photos yet but I'll post some when it stops raining, maybe this weekend.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i want a koni set up but i havent seen them available for this chassis yet. where did you see that? i have seen lots of kits available for the older vitz/echo/yaris, especially on euro forums.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Another question along these lines: if I run the TRD sport shocks without the TRD lowering spring kit, will the TRD shocks alone lower the car any? I don't really want mine lowered much, if at all; I just want better handling and less body roll in cornering.

Galavoxx: why do you think the TRD shocks are "crap"?
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

the shocks alone shouldn't lower the car at all. you CAN do that with some trick koni set ups, but thats very expensive and very stiff.

he probably doesnt think much of them b/c they aren't drastically stiffer than the oem shocks. the TRD parts are made to be like a "sport package" so its rather tame. other shocks or coilover set ups will be more toward the racey/sport side than say the TRD shocks.

it wouldnt kill you to get the springs, they dont lower the car much at all anyways, and it would really help the car when paired with the shocks! id say go for it! ive thought about going this route, but i'd like to hear from koni first.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll
the shocks alone shouldn't lower the car at all. you CAN do that with some trick koni set ups, but thats very expensive and very stiff.

he probably doesnt think much of them b/c they aren't drastically stiffer than the oem shocks. the TRD parts are made to be like a "sport package" so its rather tame. other shocks or coilover set ups will be more toward the racey/sport side than say the TRD shocks.

it wouldnt kill you to get the springs, they dont lower the car much at all anyways, and it would really help the car when paired with the shocks! id say go for it! ive thought about going this route, but i'd like to hear from koni first.
Ohhhhh trust me buddy, those shocks are stiff.... in fact if they were any stiffer I'd probably take them back or sell them or something. My Yar is one bumpy f'n ride, but its fun, and it handles really well for an econobox.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Ohhhhh trust me buddy, those shocks are stiff.... in fact if they were any stiffer I'd probably take them back or sell them or something. My Yar is one bumpy f'n ride, but its fun, and it handles really well for an econobox.
really?? wow... im suprised! much stiffer than stock huh? what about the spring rates? any idea what they are?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Galavoxx

Quote:
i want a koni set up but i havent seen them available for this chassis yet. where did you see that? i have seen lots of kits available for the older vitz/echo/yaris, especially on euro forums.
Saw some Konis on eBay UK but haven't verified if they'll work for the new Yaris. They indicate that they will fit greater than 1999, but I have no idea if this includes the newest model year. Here's a link to the auction on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2503&rd=1&rd=1
Old 11-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Galavoxx

Quote:
It's not that they the TRDs aren't drastically stiffer than OEM but that stiffness alone doesn't necessarily make a good sporty shock absorber. In fact, in most situations besides the track, stiffness is can bad. One big factor on the TRDs is that the damping isn't adjustable so you're always stuck on stiff mode. I'm looking for some absorbers that will allow me to cruise around town and not worry about the suspension being too harsh but at the same time, I can turn that little knob and go up highway 1 and have some fun. Or I could leave it right in the middle. That's what I'm looking for anyway...

So it sounds like the only thing around right now are the TRDs.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galavoxx
It's not that they the TRDs aren't drastically stiffer than OEM but that stiffness alone doesn't necessarily make a good sporty shock absorber. In fact, in most situations besides the track, stiffness is can bad. One big factor on the TRDs is that the damping isn't adjustable so you're always stuck on stiff mode. I'm looking for some absorbers that will allow me to cruise around town and not worry about the suspension being too harsh but at the same time, I can turn that little knob and go up highway 1 and have some fun. Or I could leave it right in the middle. That's what I'm looking for anyway...

So it sounds like the only thing around right now are the TRDs.
There are high-end suspension options available right now through some of our supporting vendors. Check out the "sponsors classifieds" forum or check out these sites.

http://www.c2auto.com/toyotayarissusp.html
http://bulletproofautomotive.com/cat...p?category=209

Cusco, Tein, C-ONE, HKS and Tanabe all make suspensions for the Yaris right now.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #10
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

well, i dont mind a firm ride. i had super stiff coilovers on my old 240, so a TRD set up will probably seem light. i have planned on waiting till the spring and decide on what i'll do. the TRD suspension is really cheap though, only about $500! i guess we'll see...
Old 11-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
You should look into TEIN as well I'm using some, a bit pricey but you can get an external controller to change the damping on the fly, so you can easily dial in comfort or firmness depending on what you're doing. Good stuff!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:42 AM   #12
Galavoxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo
You should look into TEIN as well I'm using some, a bit pricey but you can get an external controller to change the damping on the fly, so you can easily dial in comfort or firmness depending on what you're doing. Good stuff!
I'll definitely look into them. The would love to have the change on the fly option.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:44 AM   #13
Galavoxx

Quote:
Wait. I was just thinking about how great it would be to have change on the fly and got to wondering if the controller is mounted inside the car? I'm assuming not but that would be amazing.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:47 AM   #14
Galavoxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
There are high-end suspension options available right now through some of our supporting vendors. Check out the "sponsors classifieds" forum or check out these sites.

http://www.c2auto.com/toyotayarissusp.html
http://bulletproofautomotive.com/cat...p?category=209

Cusco, Tein, C-ONE, HKS and Tanabe all make suspensions for the Yaris right now.
$1k just for the absorbers seems a little high...
Old 11-06-2006, 03:55 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
This is the controller box, could even be fitted in the glovebox there... Up and down adjustments for front and back, as well as 3 memory settings.

And on each shock goes these little things:

Be aware that the bodywork will need a little bit of cutting in order to fit those at the front.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:25 AM   #16
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
I think the TRD Sportivo is quite compliant for me. I don't think I could handle the standard (but very comfortable) setting for everyday driving. I prefer cars to be a bit nimble. Comfort is for weekends.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #17
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
"Nimble" sounds good to me too. I think I'm going to get the TRD sport shocks only (without the lowering spring kit), to firm up the liftback's cornering and overall handling. I want to maintain at least close to stock ground clearance (actually, I'd like MORE ground clearance, on the order of a Subaru Outback, but you can't always have everything!); I drive on a lot of bumpy dirt roads.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #18
Galavoxx

Quote:
This is the controller box, could even be fitted in the glovebox there... Up and down adjustments for front and back, as well as 3 memory settings.
Looks amazing. I was imagining a long hydrolic fluid line running to knobs inside of the car but the servos make much more sense. What are the additional costs for the control module?